Latest post Thu, Jul 16 2009 8:59 PM by AndrewAction. 508 replies.
Page 33 of 34 (509 items) « First ... < Previous 30 31 32 33 34 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 5 2009 4:33 PM In reply to

Re: "Software Activation Going Forward"

jveekeres:

drbgaijin:

Watch where everyone is heading - Then get there FIRST!

I think that thought applies as much to a business like Avid as to us editors using Avid products.

Douglas,

Indeed that applies both to avid and us. Isn't it frustrating then that avid has, since the development of the first media composer, never been able to do exactly that? In this case avid is the "last" still having a dongle.

Personally I believe being the only NLE manufacturer giving users choice in SA system is much closer to being "the first one, a leader, innovator, trend setter", etc... then just "forcing" it on us.

Where everyone is going? It's a tad speculative and if course way-off-topic but internet-based SA is a very good starting point for pay-per-use. See 

http://www.tepper.cmu.edu/alumni/lifelong-learning/faculty-research/software-pricing--pay-per-use-versus-perpetual-licensing/index.aspx

for a precis of where software sellers would just love to go!

Edit 1: MC 8.10 + Symphony + PhraseFind • MacPro 6x3.5GHz/64GB OS10.10.5 • Artist Mix & Color • Aja Io 4K • Edit 2: MC 8.10 • MacPro 2x2.66GHz/48GB... [view my complete system specs]

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Mon, Jul 6 2009 1:21 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

I hesitated to hop into such a long thread again as I'd already posted my opinion. However I think I have something useful to add to the debate.

At the moment you can only deactivate by launching Avid. Recently I had this problem:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/72942.aspx

I couldn't even launch Avid! A very obscure Windows problem was causing this error - a corrupt database in WMI. It took me days to track down. Had this been an SA system I would have been stuffed, without calling the US. If i hadn't tracked down the problem (thanks to this forum) I wouldhave been forced to do a re-format and re-install (I was vwery close to doing this).

So my suggestion is a remote deactivation system - in other words you can deactivate any system via IP without the software having to run. This would allow remote deactivation over a network, so even systems that you can't boot but can log on to can be deactivated.

Would still rather keep the dongle but I wanted to to be constructive :)

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Jul 6 2009 11:41 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

Mondo:
    So my suggestion is a remote deactivation system - in other words you can deactivate any system via IP without the software having to run. This would allow remote deactivation over a network, so even systems that you can't boot but can log on to can be deactivated.

Hey Mondo -

About a week ago or so, I had posted something very similar to this (link below) on the Avid Feature Request Forum.  Let's hope Avid will take this under consideration.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/73311.aspx

best -

sw

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Mon, Jul 6 2009 9:59 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,623
    • Points 66,000

BLKDOG:
    It does disturb me to see posters here jump on the "Not new thinking" and "Avid is not Listening" soapbox.
    I wrote about new thinking and listening, I believe that Avid has the right to choose whichever protection system they like for MC, that's why I focused more on the listening than the dongle vs SA debate; with the info available at the time of writing I thought that there was lack of listening, and I'm glad if I was wrong, now I'd like to see long waited for improvements to the software (better audio, background rendering, just to name a few) coming soon to verify that the Company is listening...

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jul 8 2009 8:35 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 739
    • Points 11,250

Here is my major concern.

If, hypothetically, AVID goes out of business, there will be no more software activation - period. You will simply not be able to install your AVID software ever again. Software activation puts you completely at the mercy of the AVID Corporation. If they go bust (or decide that your license is no longer valid for some reason), you can't re-install. If you need to re-install, you can't make money. You can't feed your kids. Everyone who buys an AVID will be gambling their career on AVID's ability to keep that software activation coming. Is that a gamble that you want to take?

I know most folks think AVID could never fail - but AVID is NO Sony. Avid is NO Apple. Sony and Apple aren't going to go out of business. But AVID? Let's fact it, AVID is not the industry standard anymore. If they are losing money, I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy them.

Regardless of all that, just humor me, and think: what if there is even a chance that AVID goes under? Are you prepared for a non-functional editing suite? That's exactly what Software Activation means for every single person here. Hypothetically.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Wed, Jul 8 2009 10:17 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

man, talk about speculation!

Scott Witthaus

• Wed, Jul 8 2009 10:56 PM In reply to

switthaus:
    man, talk about speculation!
    NO. The points raised are very valid business concerns in tough financial times.

• Wed, Jul 8 2009 11:03 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,623
    • Points 66,000

If Avid goes out of business a non maintained/developed software will become obsolete in a short while, switching to another editor will be the only option left; would a dongle make any difference?

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jul 8 2009 11:04 PM In reply to

I agree with Andrew and Atomike. None of us wants to see it happen, but we all know that everything comes down to the bottom line these days. It's all about the numbers. As distasteful as it is, we have to acknowledge the possibility, and perhaps plan some contingencies for ourselves.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 8 2009 11:17 PM In reply to

"... would a dongle make any difference? ..."

Yeah,  After a hardwarwe crash, you could rebuild your system and still have a valid license via the dongle.  Yes, it would be stuck at that version, but always licensed.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jul 8 2009 11:23 PM In reply to

luca.mg:
    switching to another editor will be the only option left; would a dongle make any difference?

I edited with Liquid Silver system / with dongle / for about two years when it was discontinued without any problems. After this time I moved to another editing system. It can be a big difference. It is not a speculation - it is real world for me.

Best

MC_SY_DNxIO 2019.11 with dongle, BM 10.11.3.0, MC Transport 2019.12 , W10PRO_64, QT 7.7.9, Boris Red 5.6, BCC 2020 Multihost, AAE CS6, HP Z8G4 workstation... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 8 2009 11:39 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,595

While this may seem like a bit of "the sky is falling" paranoia, I can assure you that it is not. When Serious Magic was bought up by Adobe, my online activation failed because Serious Magic was no longer in business. All attempts to get Adobe to stand by the original sale failed.

A few months ago, during a quite unrelated experience, Mark Mapes, the owner of the now defunct Serious Magic heard my complaints and set things right. Needless to say, this is a VERY real possibility when online activation is de riguer.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Wed, Jul 8 2009 11:40 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,623
    • Points 66,000

Randall L Rike:

"... would a dongle make any difference? ..."

Yeah,  After a hardwarwe crash, you could rebuild your system and still have a valid license via the dongle.  Yes, it would be stuck at that version, but always licensed.

And what will You do with such a machine when Your clients will ask for odorama editing or 3d audio or superdv 4:4:4 or whatever is coming next?

peace luca

• Wed, Jul 8 2009 11:49 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

...or a meteor could hit Tewksbury!  Tomorrow!

Smile

Scott Witthaus

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 12:04 AM In reply to

"... And what will You do with such a machine when Your clients will ask for ..."

I already admitted that the system would be stuck at the last version available.  However, that will still get people by for while, without necessarily "having to" buy an alternative system.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 33 of 34 (509 items) « First ... < Previous 30 31 32 33 34 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller