Latest post Fri, Mar 13 2009 6:56 PM by Keith Gerrard. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 3 2009 12:07 PM

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

Keyframing Color Corrections - usable or not?

Being able to Keyframe Color Corrections in Symphony (and MC 3.5) could be a great feature.

Unfortunately, it seems that while the color correction uses 16 bits  (?), the control interface is still only 8 bits (or even less), and there is no way you can keyframe for example a subtle change in brightness and get a usable result.

Since the CC keyframing can't interpolate the values of some parameters, you're still sometimes better off just adding a dissolve between the settings you want, since there's no way to keyframe a smooth change, unless it's a really fast one.

If there's some obscure option I've missed that fixes this, please let me know!

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Mar 5 2009 9:00 PM In reply to

Re: Keyframing Color Corrections - usable or not?

Hi Editdudes,

Just wanted to check in on this thread. All interpolated values are fractional, it is only the starting and ending values that will end on 8bit non-fractional Values.

Also, you can animate *all* Parameters that have corresponding sliders in the CC window, plus the levels and curves graphs. 

And all keyframes can be smooth, you just need to change the interpolation type to be anything other than Shelf.

See how that works for you.

- MacPro, 2.66 GHz, 14G RAM; OS 10.8.4; MC DX Nitris; ISIS 4.5 - MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8G RAM, ISIS 4.5 - z800 Xeon 2.93Ghz, 12G RAM, Win 7, DX Nitris... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 6 2009 12:43 AM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

I'm not sure I'm understanding this... Are you saying that there will be a quality loss if you use the new keyframe feature in the Color Corrector?

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, Mar 6 2009 12:03 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

besidemyself:

And all keyframes can be smooth, you just need to change the interpolation type to be anything other than Shelf.

See how that works for you.

Hi

From what I can see, many parameters interpolate well, but Master Setup and Brightness have no fractional interpolation.

How do you suggest I change the interpolation type to fix this? 

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Fri, Mar 13 2009 6:56 PM In reply to

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay.

If you are in the Editor, while in Color Correction, you can click on the Effect Editor.

Once it opens, it should show you some of the parameters of the effect you are working on.

Clicking on Master Setup, or Brightness, triangles should show you the area to add a keyframe. At that point, you can right+click that area to get the same menus to change the interpolation.
    Does that answer what you are asking, or did i miss it?

- MacPro, 2.66 GHz, 14G RAM; OS 10.8.4; MC DX Nitris; ISIS 4.5 - MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8G RAM, ISIS 4.5 - z800 Xeon 2.93Ghz, 12G RAM, Win 7, DX Nitris... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller