Latest post Tue, Apr 7 2009 2:29 PM by Javier Valledor. 208 replies.
Page 4 of 14 (209 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 4 2009 8:43 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Avid Releases version 3.5 of the Media Composer Software

No, that's not the case. I've put my laptop through all sort of config changes that have not affected the licensing.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 8:47 PM In reply to

The Activation will (probably) use the primary NIC, what ever that is.  If that changes, your activation will (probably) fail.  We've seen Stage Tools Moving Pictires licenses fail, reportedly because the Mac has randomly switched primary and secondary NICS.

"... You don't activate each time you launch, only the first time ..."

Unless you use 2 systems on a daily bassis.  I carry my dongle in my pocket.  That way I have it at work, at home, or anywhere else, when ever and where ever I need it.  Once the dongle is fully unsupported, I WILL be Deactivatng/Activating every day.  Now, that's "New Thinking" at it's best.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 8:52 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

RodneyinMunich:

Scott, software activation and deactivation costs time. And assumes that the opeartor knows why the MC won't start. Moving a dongle between systems is tactile and quick.

Please tell me, apart from the educational use you've already mentioned, why not having a dongle is so much better?

btw reading Marianna's entry http://community.avid.com/forums/t/69171.aspx it seems that dongle aqnd software activation will coexist for a while. Perhaps if Avid keeps it that way for a while that will solve all our problems.

I have three systems I edit with for my company (1708 Editorial, www.1708editorial.com).  One is a MacPro in my office in the city, one is a MacPro at my home suite (75 miles from the city office) and one is a MacBook Pro that may be anywhere at any one time.  IF the software activation works as advertised, it is MUCH better for me not to worry about where the dongle is that day, such as leaving the dongle at the home suite, some 75 miles away.  Talk about wasting time.  Again I am sure there will be glitches along the way, but IF it works as advertised, it takes alot off my mind...no more playing "dongle dongle, where is the dongle".

From what I gather, this dual activation mode will be around until Avid goes to MC 4.0 then it goes to all SW activation.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 8:55 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Randall, Are you saying that it's going to be too hard for you to remember if you used the NIC or a wireless connection to regiser the last time? That it will be too hard to switch if one or the other fails? I am not understanding your post.

Have you tried the activation yet or are you just anticipating issues?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 8:57 PM In reply to

• cdumitrescu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 13 2008
    • Bucharest, RO
    • Posts 34
    • Points 475

If you someone needs to deactivate one machine before you could activate on another one I don't see how that would be so much better for you.

Only if you don't mind deactivating each machine once you finish working with it. What if you forget to do it ? Unplugging a dongle seems a more comfortable solution imo.

MC 3.1.0 software-only / Quad Core 3.0Ghz MacPro / 4GB RAM / OSX 10.5.5 || MC 3.0.5 software-only / Core Duo 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro / 2GB RAM / OSX 10... [view my complete system specs]

Cristian Dumitrescu - SiXX

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 9:04 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

cdumitrescu:

If you someone needs to deactivate one machine before you could activate on another one I don't see how that would be so much better for you.

Only if you don't mind deactivating each machine once you finish working with it. What if you forget to do it ? Unplugging a dongle seems a more comfortable solution imo.

c'mon, you're kidding right?  Currently you can't run one machine while the dongle is in another, so its the same deal.  And what if you forget to bring your dongle with you to the next computer?  Not really much of a difference, really.  I am sure we will all get used to activating and deactivating like we are used to plugging and unplugging a dongle.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 9:13 PM In reply to

• cdumitrescu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 13 2008
    • Bucharest, RO
    • Posts 34
    • Points 475

switthaus:
    c'mon, you're kidding right?  Currently you can't run one machine while the dongle is in another, so its the same deal.  And what if you forget to bring your dongle with you to the next computer?  Not really much of a difference, really.  I am sure we will all get used to activating and deactivating like we are used to plugging and unplugging a dongle.

I'm not saying it's a huge difference. But a difference there clearly is. Now, we could argue about the fact that it is / it's not a lot more convenient to pull the dongle and go instead of going through that deactivation / activation process, but it's going nowhere.

For me, personally, it's not such a big thing, as I have all my machines connected to the internet anyway, but for others it could prove to be a brand new time consuming pain to do every single day.

MC 3.1.0 software-only / Quad Core 3.0Ghz MacPro / 4GB RAM / OSX 10.5.5 || MC 3.0.5 software-only / Core Duo 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro / 2GB RAM / OSX 10... [view my complete system specs]

Cristian Dumitrescu - SiXX

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 9:20 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

You need to go through it once to judge. I feel like most of this concern is due to the fact that users who are so against it haven't tried it. It works really well. Are there scenarios where it could be a nightmare sure, but you can find those with anything. Throughout Beta, it's been pretty solid though.

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 9:23 PM In reply to

• Falcon333
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 12 2009
    • Germany, Munich
    • Posts 10
    • Points 130

i think both, dongle and activation/deactivation, have good and bad aspects, so for me i dont see why avid wants to get away from the dongle, why cannot both soilutions coexist? i know til v4.0 they will be, but afterwards?

Macbook Pro 2,2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ; 4GB RAM; Mac OSX SnowLeopard 10.6.2; Media Composer 4.0.5 Academic; Pro Tools 8.0.2 M-Powered; M-Audio Mobile Pre... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 4 2009 9:25 PM In reply to

Blkdog, you write "you must launch MC with that configuration". Doesn't that mean if the configuration is different, MC can't be launched?

What exactly does the software look for? Does it look for an activation key similar to sapphire's, where a file within the system says things are okay to run? Or does it compare an internal file with other information it gleans about the computer in order to guarantee that the file hasn't been copied to another computer? Or does it go looking on the internet for permission? 

Edit 1: MC 8.10 + Symphony + PhraseFind • MacPro 6x3.5GHz/64GB OS10.10.5 • Artist Mix & Color • Aja Io 4K • Edit 2: MC 8.10 • MacPro 2x2.66GHz/48GB... [view my complete system specs]

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 9:44 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

I'm guessing it's looking for the address of the network interface you used to activate and compares the activation codes to that. The only instance where you may run into trouble is if your wirelss connection totally disables your onboard NIC or vice versa. That is not a normal occurance on a PC and doesn't happen on Macs.

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 9:51 PM In reply to

I was making separate points ... 

If the NIC address changes the license will fail.  We've seen that with other software.  I've had enough issues with software-based licensing that I prefer not to use them if possible ... I'm the facility engineer that gets calls 24x7.  I've had many calls where the DS license has failed at 2:00am, and I'm on the phone trying to get it back up.

It takes me 2 seconds to remove my dongle and take it with me.  It sits vertically in a Belkin hub on my desk.  It's really easy.  I'm sure the new process is easy too ... just more likely to be problematic ... based on my past experience with software-based licenses ... including Avids.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 10:21 PM In reply to

switthaus:
    How much actual time will you lose?  I just don't get it.
    Then expand your  thinking to envisage how other people in different environments achieve a more adaptive workflow using the current don gle system.

Try managing 4 valid MC3's being used by up to 10 editors per day, working on 4 in the office CPU's and 5 Avid capable laptops. Think of all the activation deactivation possibilities between these. last week 15 dongle movements in one day. Multiply that by 365 and then halve it (as not every day is that chaotic) and calculate the lost time in activating and deactivating compared to simply moving dongles.

One of the reasons we are with Avid is it's flexibility that allows us to be fast and fluid in how and where we tackle the variety of situations we find ourselves in.

Why the fuss? Because there is a limited window in which to influence Avid to change its policy before it is to late.

ADD software activation IF it is more usefull to some. Please do not dump a perfectly functional, incredibly reliable (never a fault, not one stolen or lost in 13+ years of owning Avids) and very useful Dongle system to many just because a few seem not to be able to see the bigger picture.

Please dont tell me to try it and see because now is the time to influence the decision. IF the dongle is dropped it will be TOO late it.... will never surface again. We will be forced to adapt to more time consuming (money wasting), less adaptive workflows that may suit some.

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 10:40 PM In reply to

Hear hear Andrew! Absolutely my point of view.

Edit 1: MC 8.10 + Symphony + PhraseFind • MacPro 6x3.5GHz/64GB OS10.10.5 • Artist Mix & Color • Aja Io 4K • Edit 2: MC 8.10 • MacPro 2x2.66GHz/48GB... [view my complete system specs]

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 11:19 PM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

Excuse me for diving into the Mac forum here but the topic of activation based on NIC setup is my question.

In Avid/Softimage XSI they used an online activation setup.  One that scanned the network setup of the PC to create a signature for that machine.  It too allowed an activate/deactive scenario through its license manager. But here's the gotcha...  on the XW8200 clone running studio complete, one of the performance tweakes was to disable the network on that machine entirely, enabling it only to transfer files.  Not only did XSI not have an active connection to verify its license, it also had a change in network settings that altered the machines signature.  Now Softimage were very helpful and set me up with a non network activation that effectively created a virtual network setup in windows.  No problem, I'm up and away... but that was in no way transportable - I could not de-activate this license and move it?  Has Avid inherited this type of network based licensing from softimage and if so how does a machine that has its network disabled daily get used?  Does this new activation look for this sort of change in a hardware setup and therefore decide that this is not the signature machine that was valid for the license?

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

Page 4 of 14 (209 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller