Latest post Fri, Feb 27 2009 4:21 PM by camoscato. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 27 2009 2:47 PM

Open Avid Media Composer up to third party software

Yesterday I posted my views and opinions on why I believe Avid should open up their Media Composer software to third party hardware solutions.  I received several responses that either agreed with me for similar or different reasons and also received responses that totally thought it was rubbish. 

With regards to Avid opening up to third party hardware vendors I still stand by what I said.  Giving the customer more options IS A GOOD THING.  As I said before there are some very good choices in third party hardware land that will offer BETTER alternatives to Avid CLOSED hardware solutions.  I have seen Avid hardware solutions in action and they work very well when configured properly.  However, I have also seen fully configured FCP and Adobe configurations that run equally well.  The only difference is that the competition is using third party hardware as there means to an end.  And this hardware costs less! 

What I would like to know at this point, besides the opinions of others as to whether Avid should open up to third party software, is what is Avid afraid of if they actually do open up to third party hardware?  I would really like to also understand this scary thing called change that Avid apparently does not want to hear anyone talk about?  My understanding of late is that Avid has restructured their business and wants to begin anew with a different attitude and go after future generations of customers.  Considering how the editing market has changed the same old ways of doing things will not work anymore...

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 3:16 PM In reply to

Re: Open Avid Media Composer up to third party software

Hi,

Good questions, but why start a new thread?  Why not just continue the discussion on the third party thread that's already going?

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 4:03 PM In reply to

Actually I could not find the thread.

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 4:21 PM In reply to

Hi,

Roberto Parentino:
    Actually I could not find the thread.

Here you go.  You can see what threads you've participated in by clicking on the My Discussions link on the Forums home page.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller