Latest post Fri, Feb 27 2009 11:14 PM by greenways2. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 26 2009 11:27 PM

• greenways2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 26 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

Best Export Settings -HDV Avid - AE (Magic Bullet Frames) - Avid

Hi there, After searching like crazy on the forums, I found many life saving answers for the project I'm working on but a little stuck on whether I'm doing it right. Whoever can answer this is a LEGEND! (I tried to be overly detailed)

I have a project which is mixed PAL DV 25i and HDV 1080 50i which I have captured separately in different projects according to their resolutions (SD and HDV). I then externally opened the DV footage bin from within the HDV project and started cutting the video into a new sequence. The reason I did this is because I couldnt capture both the HDV and DV footage into the same project. Does this negatively affect the resolution of the DV footage?

Once I had cut the sequence I wanted to export to After Effects to apply the Magic Bullet Frames plugin. So of course I had to do a video mixdown to export as a QT ref because of the HDV footage. I did this and exported but the native dimensions export says 1920x1080. Isnt HDV 1440x1080? Once I had exported as a QT ref (in 1920x1080), I opened in After effects. When interpreting the footage, I wasnt sure what to choose so just selected square pixels there was no 1.777 aspect ratio choice. I then dragged the interpreted footage to a new comp to create it.

I applied magic bullet frames with upper field first selected (was this right - keeping in mind original footage was mixed) and when adding to render queue I chose QT Movie with DNxHD compressor set at 1080p DNxHD 120 (the same as the video mixdown setting before in avid). I then import the clip back into avid in a new project - a 1080p project. Importing as a DNxHD 120. Looking at replica still frames from the original footage compared with those of the new 1080p imported clip (in fullscreen mode and with a careful eye) There wasnt any noticable loss of quality. But playing down the imported clip seemed to be jittery in the DV parts. I wasnt sure if this was to do with computer performance tho (very fast PC system - dont have the specs with me at the moment).

Overall I want to apply the Magic bullet Looks effect back in the avid now (much easier in avid as there are so many fast different looking cuts and can apply to each clip rather than keyframes) and export for DVD and a file export to HD. Please if you can help me, not necessarily with all of it but at least suggest a good workflow.

Thanks!!!

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 4:36 AM In reply to

• PegasusNZ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 10 2006
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 330
    • Points 3,935

Re: Best Export Settings -HDV Avid - AE (Magic Bullet Frames) - Avid

I think you have field inversion on the DV because it was not upscaled before export. If you have MC3 you can have SD and HD in the same project just change the format settings in the format tab when digitising. Also why did you do everything interlaced only to render out of AE in P I don't think AE is good for this conversion. HDV is 1440x1080 rectangle pixels and HD is 1920x1080 square pixels but that is a horizontal resolution problem you are commenting on a vertical error? Try in AE to replace the DV part with a copy of your exports QT with the fields inverted and see if that helps. Or upscale the DV footage in MC3 before Export

Cheers

Callum

8 x Z800 24GB RAM MC 7 Black Magic Decklink Studio 240TB Linux Server [view my complete system specs]

^^ A good edit takes time but who has the time? When I look back I see my mistakes!

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 11:13 PM In reply to

• greenways2
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

Awesome, thanks Callum.

For those who by chance have a similar problem, DV PAL is lower field first and HDV is upper - this looks to be what was getting me

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 11:14 PM In reply to

• greenways2
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

ohh and I just noticed you're from Auckland too! - same as me

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller