Latest post Thu, Feb 26 2009 8:11 PM by Larry Rubin. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 26 2009 12:49 AM

Problem w/ switching external hard drives mid project

I am working on a project with several hours of footage. I have already created many cuts and sequences, and outputted them for the web. As the webisode series has garnered success, more episodes have been ordered up. As there will now be several more hours of footage to digitize, I have switched everything over to a larger drive to store + work with the new and old media. But Now when I open the project, all of the media is offline. I dont understand why this would be, as I have transfered all of OMFI MediaFiles and Avid MediaFiles to the new drive. All of the master clips, sub clips, and sequences are there, but it's all offline, and I cant seem to re-link it.

Thank you so much for any help on this matter!

Paul

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 4:06 AM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Re: Problem w/ switching external hard drives mid project

Don't do it outside of Avid. Hook up your old drive and, in Avid, consolidate the clips to the new drive. That way Avid will recognize them.

Good Luck

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 5:03 AM In reply to

How do I go about doing this. There is no way to save a project when open to a new location besides the location it was created in, therefore I can think of no way to consolidate the clips to a new drive unless it is done on the desktop level. Could you perhaps be more specific in the steps of consolidating clips from the old drive to the new drive.

Thanks for your response!

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 6:30 AM In reply to

If you're moving them in their entirety, copying those two folders will work.  Even the media databases should stay in tact and work.  Are the folders, OMFI MediaFiles and Avid MediaFiles, at the root level of the new drive, and not inside any other folders?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 6:43 AM In reply to

Randall L Rike:

If you're moving them in their entirety, copying those two folders will work.  Even the media databases should stay in tact and work.  Are the folders, OMFI MediaFiles and Avid MediaFiles, at the root level of the new drive, and not inside any other folders?

yes, the OMFI MediaFiles and Avid MediaFiles folders were copied to the new drive, as well as all of the project/bin/ and settings files. The OMFI MediaFiles And Avid Media Files Folders are located at the root level of the new drive. Any suggestions on where I should go from here?

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 8:49 AM In reply to

Although not usually necessary, you might try deleting the the 2 media database files in OMFI MediaFiles, and the 2 in each numbered sub-folder under Avid MediaFiles\MXF.  They will rebuild automatically the next time to launch Avid.

An additional test would be to try writing some new media, of each type, to that same target drive.  Then check and see where it wrote it to, and if it caused the media databases to rebuild.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 3:41 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

also, when you did the relink, was the "all drives" option enabled?

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 3:48 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Where the project is saved to is totally independent of the media location. To move the media from within avid you use the media tool to show all the media files associated with a project, select all and then use the consolidate command which gives you the option of selecting a location for the new files. You then still have to copy and move the project itself at the finder level.

But there is no reason why moving the media at the finder level shouldn't work. If you delete the databases from the media folders avid should rescan the media on startup, if it doesn't do that then it's not seeing the media folders.

How are the new drives connected, and do you have any drive filtering active in your media creation settings?

Can you select the new drive to capture/render to?

Also, what are the ownerships/permissions for the drive and media folders? (apple+I to find out)

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 26 2009 7:39 PM In reply to

Thank you to all you for your responses! I greatly appreciate it!

I am in the process of consolidating the files to the new drive, using the procedure described by siencs. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 7:45 PM In reply to

Just to reiterate, to rebuild the media database quit the application and from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at that point.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 7:48 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

good to have you back in the saddle, Larry.

sw

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 8:11 PM In reply to

Thanks, Scott. It's good to be back. Life goes on. My Dad would have wanted it this way.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller