Latest post Wed, Jul 1 2009 1:07 PM by tarsem antil. 83 replies.
Page 6 of 6 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 29 2009 5:08 AM In reply to

• lmerino
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 19 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 326
    • Points 4,405

Re: New Thinking - who, the editors or Avid ???

nicov:
    I think Avid should come up with a card (not a bob) giving just  SD/HD hdmi output only to adress monitoring purposes. I'm sure they can deliver that for less than 1K. Everybody would then be happy and it would'nt kill their current HW line. 

1 thing missing would be to have compatability with other software as well... specifically tools such as After Effects, Photoshop, etc.  Look at other companies who also develop both their own software and hardware like Canopus.  Their hardware (which is made for their NLE, Edius) can also be used as output for Adobe products.  This is just basic necessity at this point.   I have no idea why Avid refuses to either A) implement it or B) Explain to us why they won't implement it.  I would love for someone to officially say yay or nay, but they can't do that.  I think they have too much on their plate to address all these things.

Avid Certified HP Z820 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2009 9:14 AM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

NICKB:
    Avid management need to look at why they cannot make an i/o box as cheap as everyone else can

Why is price point the only thing anyone ever compares between the FCP w/AJA and MC w/NitrisDX comparison? 

I'd like to see a compare list for: 

How many streams of RT performance?

Input/Output connections?

Caveats or other compromises?

and a lot of other important factors.  

The price point may well be justified based on the value the item adds to your system.

Amen to that. I often times get the feeling that Avid hardware is apprecialbly superior to the competition, but Avid does a poor job explaining its hardware's features and performance.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 2:45 PM In reply to

Amen to that. I often times get the feeling that Avid hardware is apprecialbly superior to the competition

.- I think (And I've always thouhgt) the real value of Avid is placed upon its magnificent interface and its superior tools and media management.

For me , the hardware only means input and output. It has to be reliable and if it gives some acceleration would be a plus, but that's it.

With the computers being more and more powerful and since Autodesk's highest end products relies on a simple AJA card for I/O (also Avid DS), and with such a cheap piece of equipment they are capable of extraordinary performance, the importance of I/O hardware as a real performance factor has become even more questionable for me.

Software makes the difference nowadays.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 2:50 PM In reply to

• Sam Z
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 25 2008
    • Posts 70
    • Points 945

I know people want a cheap monitoring solution, and most want HD-SDI.  I completely understand this, I'm a professional too.  The problem is that you can make a master off of that signal, and thus, why buy a more expensive piece of hardware.  How do people feel about a HDMI monitoring solution.  It could be a little dongle the size of the MBox Micro

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=220&itemid=5343

I could see a little dongle hanging out of the USB or FW800 port on my MacBookPro giving me an HDMI out.  HDMI can be encripted for copy protection and you can't make a master tape off of it.  It seems resonable and would protect their product line / profit margins.

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 3:16 PM In reply to

• lmerino
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 19 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 326
    • Points 4,405

Aside from the copy protection (which I would imagine would be incredibely stupid on Avid's part if they limited an output like that) I would be very happy with what you are talking about... BUT

it has to cost $250 dollars and also work with After Effects and Photoshop, amongst others.

Avid Certified HP Z820 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2009 4:14 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

You can make a master tape without an Avid box, just export a Qtime movie then play it out via FCP or Premier.

Maybe we just have to accept Avid will not change on this matter.

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 10:16 PM In reply to

Sam Z:

BobbyMurcerFan:

Kenton.VanNatten:

NICKB:
    Avid management need to look at why they cannot make an i/o box as cheap as everyone else can

Why is price point the only thing anyone ever compares between the FCP w/AJA and MC w/NitrisDX comparison? 

I'd like to see a compare list for: 

How many streams of RT performance?

Input/Output connections?

Caveats or other compromises?

and a lot of other important factors.  

The price point may well be justified based on the value the item adds to your system.

Amen to that. I often times get the feeling that Avid hardware is apprecialbly superior to the competition, but Avid does a poor job explaining its hardware's features and performance.

I know people want a cheap monitoring solution, and most want HD-SDI.  I completely understand this, I'm a professional too.  The problem is that you can make a master off of that signal, and thus, why buy a more expensive piece of hardware.  How do people feel about a HDMI monitoring solution.  It could be a little dongle the size of the MBox Micro

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=220&itemid=5343

I could see a little dongle hanging out of the USB or FW800 port on my MacBookPro giving me an HDMI out.  HDMI can be encripted for copy protection and you can't make a master tape off of it.  It seems resonable and would protect their product line / profit margins.

.- it seem like AJA has been reading (and, more important, PAYING ATENTION) to these forums.

http://www.aja.com/products/io/io-express.php

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Tue, Jun 30 2009 1:15 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Yes great little AJA box and only $995 Avid cannot justify a whopping $7000 for a Mojo in my opinion and if they do not do something 'Avid editing' will just die out over time as all new users will not pay the Avid price.

• Wed, Jul 1 2009 1:07 PM In reply to

• tarsem antil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 22 2008
    • India
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Avid is loosing markets. wake up AVID

Xeon, 2.6, 4 GB, Nv 1400 [view my complete system specs]

Page 6 of 6 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller