Latest post Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:37 AM by Daniel Kedem. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 16 2009 8:26 PM

• pro---studio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cologne / Germany
    • Posts 134
    • Points 2,115

Problem with "Read Audio Timecode" on P2 media

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with some P2 material (again booh!)

I have a session that is recorded with two cameras where one camera has the free running timecode of the other camera on audio track 1.

If I use the "read audio time code" feature all clips in the bin have the same starting tc (Aux TC1). It is not possible to have the "real" recorded timecode in the aux1 panel. Waht am I doing wrong here?

Thank you for your suggestions.

pro

ASUS P5Q3 / Intel Quad Core 9650 / nvidia Quadro 4500 / 8GB Ram OCZ / onboard sound / 250GB SATA System HD / 1,5TB Video HD Raid5 on Highpoint 2310 / Mojo... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 16 2009 10:09 PM In reply to

Re: Problem with "Read Audio Timecode" on P2 media

I never got the Avid to read the Audio-TC for P2 material unless I assigned a Tape name to the clips. Maybe that helps in your situation too?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 17 2009 8:00 AM In reply to

• pro---studio
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne / Germany
    • Posts 134
    • Points 2,115

Hi Job,

I did that allready - the problem is, that MC does in fact read the timecode but every timecode of  every clip starts at the same point. The timecode is recorded right on the audio track.

Thank you for suggestions.

ASUS P5Q3 / Intel Quad Core 9650 / nvidia Quadro 4500 / 8GB Ram OCZ / onboard sound / 250GB SATA System HD / 1,5TB Video HD Raid5 on Highpoint 2310 / Mojo... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 17 2009 6:03 PM In reply to

• pro---studio
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne / Germany
    • Posts 134
    • Points 2,115

Anyone with similar problems? Maybe it is a bug, because it is really strange, that all Aux Timecodes change in the bin if I only read the audio tc of one clip. This can't be right!?

• Thu, Feb 19 2009 10:45 AM In reply to

• pro---studio
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne / Germany
    • Posts 134
    • Points 2,115

OK - nobody responding...

I underrstand - another thing that doesn't run in MC and P2 workflow.

I have no support contract - so I have no chance to contact avid for a support to a problem that is caused by a poorly programmed part of their still very pricey MC application. New thinking... yes for sure.

• Thu, Feb 19 2009 11:20 AM In reply to

• pro---studio
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne / Germany
    • Posts 134
    • Points 2,115

What I found out is the following:

Each clip must have a different tape name. If some clips have the same tape name and you use the "read audio tc" command - all clips start at the same tc - regardless of their real audio timecode. If you just read the audio timecode of one clip - all clips with the same tape name get the same tc (starting at the same point as the clip used with the "read tc from audio" command).

That is a real bug - it makes absolutely no sense to copy the tc to all clips with the same tape name.

For me that means: It is not possible to use this feature because I have around 300 P2 clips in my bin with recorded audio timecode. I would first have to give every clip a unique tape name to use the "read audio tc" feature. Rediculous!

• Thu, Sep 9 2010 1:07 PM In reply to

Dear Sir,

I have been experiencing a similar problem and was wondering whether you have found a workable solution since this post  -

pro---studio:

Each clip must have a different tape name. If some clips have the same tape name and you use the "read audio tc" command - all clips start at the same tc - regardless of their real audio timecode. If you just read the audio timecode of one clip - all clips with the same tape name get the same tc (starting at the same point as the clip used with the "read tc from audio" command).

That is a real bug - it makes absolutely no sense to copy the tc to all clips with the same tape name.

I have encountered this on two different machines with different Avid versions. One of them with Composer 5. What's even more puzzling is that I have managed to perform this task without a problem on previous occasions and have changed no settings since.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks,

Daniel

• Thu, Sep 9 2010 8:21 PM In reply to

Strange, I did it a lot of times successfully, what are your exact steps? Do you specify the correct audio track for read audio tc? I remember dimly that on MC 5 read audio tc does not require a tapename, did you try the trial? Still should work on MC3 too...Other than that, I did not have to assign a different tapename to every clip, that would indeed be a bit complicated...

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN7 64bit Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 10 2010 2:56 PM In reply to

• PPavel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Brno, Czech Republic
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,400

In case of Panasonic HVX200 you can interconnect two cameras via firewire cable and send timecode from one to another. External timecode is saved to clip metadata during recording. I tested it once but using clapper was more convenient.

PP

MC 3.0.5, Mojo, Dell 670, 2x Xeon 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX4000, Win XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:37 AM In reply to

Thanks for all the help guys. For some reason, it just started working properly. No settings have been changed, but somehow now it works. Computer gods are like that sometimes...

Thanks again

Daniel

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller