Latest post Wed, Jul 1 2009 4:12 AM by tjcarr. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 8 2009 7:58 AM

Everything suddenly offline

I have a project that was created in a PC version of MC lying on an external NTFS formatedFW drive, I created a new project in MC on my mac and opened a bin from the PC project to use that matterial. (I am using software Paragon to be able to read and write the NTFS formated FW drive)

Everything worked fine, I edited a new sequence with the old PC matterial no problem. Then I imported som new Quicktime clips (changing some of the media creation settings first to PAL DV) and suddenlly poof everything is suddenly offline. When I try to relink nothing relinks. When I shut down everything and open my old PC project through my mac MC even this matterial is now offline! I have tried to throw away all the database files from the media files folders and restart but still nothing happens, it doesnt even seem as if Avid recreates any new data base files....

Anyone know what's going on? Any tips?

All the best,

Erica

Stockholm 

• Mon, Feb 9 2009 6:32 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,945

Re: Everything suddenly offline

If I understand what you saying I think the problem might be that macs cannot write to NTFS drives, they can only read from them - unless you install 3rd party software.

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 9 2009 9:21 PM In reply to

• Pope
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 23
    • Points 280

Can you be specific about the 3rd-party software that allows this?

Avid 1 = MC 4.05 Nitris DX on MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon OS 10.5.7 Avid 2 = MC 4.02 Nitris DX on MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon... [view my complete system specs]

Brian Casey

• Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:15 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,945

It's called Paragon.  I haven't personally used it, but I think it has been discussed on this board before.

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 1 2009 4:12 AM In reply to

• tjcarr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Erica, I ran into the exact same scenario earlier today. I had a project from an XP -> Vista set up on an NTFS external drive. It worked great plugged in and running on the Mac. However, after realizing that I wouldn't be able to add anything from the Mac onto the external drive (due to the read-only privileges on an NTFS drive with Mac OS X), I followed some recommendations and installed MacFUSE http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ and NTFS-3g http://www.ntfs-3g.org. This is supposed to give OS X the ability to read and write on an NTFS drive. (Paragon does the same thing for the other replies.) After installing those, I confirmed that I could read and write on the NTFS drive, then I reopened the project from my MacBook Pro and found all the Media Offline.

I went through the normal troubleshooting. I tried relinking, no luck. I tried deleting the database files (on both external and internal HDs), rebooting, and no luck. I tried disabling NTFS-3g on the drive, going through the same steps again, no luck. I tried disabling NTFS-3g entirely. You get the picture. I noticed that when Avid would rescan to rebuild the database, it would ignore the external drive, and only scan media on the internal HD (none).

Sadly, the only solution that worked for me was to format an external drive from the MacBook Pro in Mac Extended format (meaning my PC won't have a chance at seeing it) and copying over the 180 GB of data. So quite a few hours later, I deleted the database files one more time, rebooted the Mac, and when I opened Avid it rescanned all the folders and I can edit my project again.

Luckily for me, I have no intention of using the PC to edit further, so this will keep me going. I'm not sure what the trick would be to force Avid to rescan the external drive had I not had a spare external I could reformat. If anyone knows if theres a command or keystroke, or other method of making Avid recognize external media in the case above, it would be awesome to post it here.

MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, OSX 10.5.6, QT 7.5.5 (Pro), MC 3.1.3 Asus M2n-SLI Deluxe, Athlon 64 x2 6000+, 2 GB PC6400, nVidia 8600GTS, Windows Vista 64-bit... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller