Latest post Thu, Apr 1 2010 7:55 PM by dansayshi. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 23 2009 7:54 PM

• dansayshi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 14 2009
    • NYC
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

Avid VideoRAID, UL5D, and Final Cut Pro?

Hi all!

I have a bit of an issue on my hands. My boss decided that rather than filling out our XServe (which is only half-populated and has been my main RAID array) he would rather see if we could use one of the AVID VideoRaid's from our home office with FCP. So we purchased an ATTO UL5D SCSI Controller card, got the drives up, plugged them in and.... nothing sees them. This didn't really surprise me at all, as it's been being used on an AVID system on a PC for the past year or so and now I was plugging it into a Mac for use with FCP. So I've been trying to get this array working; I got to reconfigure the array for a Mac (using Avid Mac; I would have used Other, but I didn't know what options to use!), reformatted, and still no go. A friend of mine (AVID editor) said I needed the ATTO Express Stripe software to stripe the drives before I could use them at all, which I got but even that doesnt see the array. So here's my question: is this even possible? Can this array be used by FCP? I figured hey, it's just an array of drives, why wouldn't it work? Just needs to be formatted correctly, right? Any thoughts? Thanks for any help you can give!! I really appreciate any light that can be shed on my problem here! Thanks for your time!

- Dan

PowerMac G5 4 x 2.5Ghz 4.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 23 2009 8:46 PM In reply to

Re: Avid VideoRAID, UL5D, and Final Cut Pro?

Yes. I have used Avid drives on FCP systems since FCP 4. We have VideoRAID on MacPros right now (via UL5D also).

If the drive was partitioned using Express Stripe then you will need to install that software in your system. I think Drive Utility will be unable to partition it until Express Stripe deletes the drive information. This is going from memory as I have not used Express Stripe for a year or 2 now.

You can also try deleting the partition info on the PC side and then moving the raw drives on the Mac. Drive Utility should see them as unpartitioned.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 24 2009 12:29 AM In reply to

• dansayshi
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

That is great news, Dom!! So here is my problem: I can't see the drives at all on the mac (or on a pc for that matter). The ATTO Configuration Utility doesn't see them either. Is there a setting in the raid I would need to adjust, or a setting in the ATTO Configuration Utility that came with the UL5D? Thanks so much for your quick response!

- Dan

PowerMac G5 4 x 2.5Ghz 4.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 24 2009 1:14 AM In reply to

I would first reset the drive via the serial port. Doing so will make the data in the drive unusable.

In the PC side, do you see it in Disk Management?

If the Atto Config is not seeing it check to make sure you have proper cables and termination.

BTW are all the lights on the back green?

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 25 2009 9:04 PM In reply to

• dansayshi
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

Yes, all the lights are green; unfortunately I can only plug it into my Mac via the UL5D. I don't have a PC with a PCI Express slot to try it in so I can't use disk mangagement. As far as proper cabling and termination, everything is rated for Ultra 320 SCSI, both the terminators and the cabling, so it should be good to go, right? When working with the serial port, which option does the reset command reside under? I'll be working on this all day tomorrow, I think :) Thank you so much for your help! Hopefully I can get this straightened out!

- Dan

• Sun, Jan 25 2009 9:13 PM In reply to

The manual is here.

Check the SCSI ID to make sure you don't have a conflict? You may also want to try to update your Atto drivers if you have not so.

• Mon, Jan 26 2009 6:08 PM In reply to

• dansayshi
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

Hi Dom,

Thanks for the link! I've been using that manual from the getgo, just to make sure I was doing things right. So cabling looks good, drivers are up to date, card seems to be working, but I still can't see the drives! It's driving me up a wall, to say the least. You said you use the UL5D also; are there any settings within the ATTO Configuration Tool that I need to set differently from the the defaults? Like Sync Rate or anything like that? Thank you so much for your help; you're definitely getting a fruit basket if I can get this up and running!!

• Mon, Jan 26 2009 6:20 PM In reply to

I don't think there is any special setting. We use the UL5D as is from the box. Drivers are from the site.

So Config tool is not seeing it either?

Are you using it in dual or single channel mode?

• Mon, Jan 26 2009 6:25 PM In reply to

• dansayshi
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

Dual Channel, connecting both sides of the array, one to each channel. And no, config tool doesn't see it either. I noticd that I can't set the specified target scsi ID's; could be part of the problem. Everytime I commit the changes, then reboot, the just revert to the default settings. I'm trying to get some help from ATTO also. Any other thoughts? Thanks again!

• Mon, Jan 26 2009 6:32 PM In reply to

Did you check the array's SCSI ID configuration (in the back via recessed wheel)? Make sure both sets do not have the same ID.

Have you tested the UL5D by mounting a different set of drives?

• Mon, Jan 26 2009 6:44 PM In reply to

• dansayshi
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

Yes, I have each controller set to a unique ID, top controller being 4 and bottom controller being 5. According to the Configuration tool, the specified target scsi ID is 0 for both channels, so I'm guessing it's not even checking 4 and 5. And sadly, I don't have another set of drives to test the UL5D with; it's kind of a hassle, because I'm not really sure which is acting up

• Mon, Jan 26 2009 7:10 PM In reply to

If both set is being allocated as SCSI ID 0 disconnect one of them (although it should not matter since they are on 2 different channels - but it is worth a shot).

• Mon, Jan 26 2009 7:28 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Dan, 

What Atto Driver version are you using? I believe version 4.3.1 is the current. What slot is the Atto card in? It should be in slot 4 on a PPC, and slot 3 on a Mac Pro with DX.

Derrick

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Mon, Jan 26 2009 8:56 PM In reply to

• dansayshi
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

Hi Derrick,

The card is in slot 4 and I have the 4.3.1 driver and the 3.21 Version of ATTO Configuration Utility. So I think it's all up to date; and Dom, I tried with only one channel connected and still no go. I'm beginning to think there's something up with the card. It almost looks like it's not scanning at all. Any other ideas? Thanks for all your thoughts, guys!

• Mon, Jan 26 2009 9:23 PM In reply to

Yeah I am thinking it is the card also. The drives' lights should flash during the Mac startup (gray screen).

You can force scan with the Atto Config tool.

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller