Latest post Wed, Jun 30 2010 9:02 AM by Joachim Claus. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 22 2009 1:15 PM

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 935
    • Points 11,950

Workflow for Editing JVC Everio HD-7 Video

Encouraged by a contribution which I read some time ago, I tested import of footage shot with JVC GZ-HD7 in 1920x1080/50i mode. I first tried Square 5's MPEG Streamclip. I batch loaded the *.TOD files into Streamclip, set the export to Quicktime DNxHD-120 with colorspace 709, and transcoded the files. All went smothly. The transcoded file were imported into Media Composer 3.1.1 with import setting color space to 709. In principle it worked fine, however, I found the colors too flat (or washed out).

I have then recorded a color bars file on the GZ-HD7 (can be set in manual mode under the camcorder's "function-key"). and run the same procedure with this clip as described above. I varied color space coding RGB and 709 for transcode, and similarly for import into MC I tried both settings (RGB and 709). The results witnessed my impression that colors are washed out. Instead of color values RGB 191 for the bars, I got RGB-values of 180 for the bars. I sent a message to Squared 5, but did not receive an answer until now.

I repeated the color bar test with "TMPG 4.0 Express". The transcode setting was "Quicktime Movie" with DNxHD-120 codec and colorspace 709. The transcoded file was imported into MC with import color space setting of 709. The result was excellent. All color bars had the correct color values.

From this test My recommendation for a workflow to import JVC GZ-HD7 material is as follows:

1.    Import *.TOD clips into TMPG

2.    Format Quicktime DNxHD-120 Colorspace 709

3.    Transcode clips

4.    Import of transcoded clips into Media Composer (Import-Setting of color space 601/709)

Any comments are welcomed.

Joachim Claus

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Thu, Jan 22 2009 6:46 PM In reply to

Re: Workflow for Editing JVC Everio HD-7 Video

As I remember from Liquid, changing the extension to m2t or mpeg made the files import fine.

I am not sure if this can be done with MC too.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(411.95)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2019.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Thu, Jan 29 2009 6:28 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 935
    • Points 11,950

No, it does not work with full HD. It may work (not tested) if the camcorder is set to 1440CBR and define a HDV-project with MC. But as I work full HD, I need to convert the MPEG-2 files into Quicktime files.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Sat, Jun 26 2010 5:40 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 26 2010
    • Arizona
    • Posts 6
    • Points 130

Joachim,

Noted your post from last year about importing TODs from your JVC Everio HD-7. I have the same camera, and am a recent convert from Liquid to MC5.  My experience in converting to Quicktime (using either MPEG Streamclip or TMPG 4 Express)  is that it creates files that are 5x or more larger than the original. Wow.  Even with cheap storage that is quite a hit.  Plus, it takes considerably longer converting to QT than to an m2t file.  Any new insights about your experiences? Anyone else?  Am I doing something wrong? It certainly was easier in Liquid, but since it is at its end of life, MC appears to be the future.

MC5 -- Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz -- ASUS P7P55D-E Intel P55 Motherboard -- 16GB DDR3 1600 -- OCZ Agility 60GB SSD system drive -- various SATA video drives... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:19 AM In reply to

• macgina
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 12 2006
    • Northern California
    • Posts 39
    • Points 505

Joachim,

You are a right clever fellow.  I'm not that smart, but I did think that the export from Sorenson had lightened the contrast of the media.  I thought the export from TMPG4 Express had increased the contrast slightly.  I thought my AVI exports from Liquid were the most accurate (and the most time consuming.)  Nothing technical on my part, just two eyeballs....  I'm not planning on resolving this conversion thing until I have completed my first (This is not a test.) project.

Peter,

You are correct about the size of these things...My current project has about 5 1/2 hours of source material and it's consuming approx 650 GB.  But, since I'm new to MC, I'm not deleting anything, so that includes the original TOD files, the intermediate .AVI and .MOV files and then all of MC folder (=330 GB.)  Some phrase like  "ya gotta have big tools to play in the big leagues" would be the sound bite that fits with what I'm seeing.  I can hardly wait until I drop some BlueRay sized files on top of this heap.  I will address the sizes thingie when I finish this project, as well.  Hmmm, maybe a new AVCHD camera....uhhh, the wife might kill me.

Regards,

John

Shooting 4K with Sony FDR-AX100 & Panasonic WX970; MC 8.7 on Intel i7 6950X 3.6GHz, 16GB memory on GigaByte X99, GTX1080, and SoundBlaster Z, Pioneer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 30 2010 9:02 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 935
    • Points 11,950

Peter,

I still use the same workflow for the first part, i.e., I convert all .TOD files into Quicktime files (DNxHD 120) with RGB color space using TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress. With Media Composer 5, I cann now use AMA to have immediate access to the converted Quicktime files. This saves a lot of time and a lot of disk space. If you import the Quicktime files into MC, you can delete the Quicktime files thereafter, and so saving some disk space. With AMA the disk space is determined by the Quicktime files (which you shall not delete).

Joachim

Joachim Claus

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller