Latest post Tue, Jan 20 2009 1:33 AM by Abeyta. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 14 2009 8:47 PM

• dansayshi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 14 2009
    • NYC
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

RTR320X VideoRAID Problems?

Hi there, AVID gurus!
    I'm really hoping you help me out; I recently received an RTR320X array from my company's other office in DC. When it arrived, I purchased an ATTO UL5D for SCSI controller, but the card would not see the array. I then found out it was being used on PCs (I'm on a Mac G5) before, so I'm guessing it needs to be reconfigured for a Mac before the UL5D will see it. After reading the installation manual online, I see that the null modem port and hyperterminal are used (I tried using a RS232 to USB adapter I had in conjunction with ZTerm on the mac, but there was no communication between the RAID and the G5 occurring. Bad news) for reconfiguring the array. My question is this: apparently our DC office has no null modem cable (they bought the array used and never got one). Do I need to use an AVID null modem cable or can I just use any type of cable I can find? And also, with everything above, am I even on the right track as to how to get this array up and running? Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks for your time!

- Dan

PowerMac G5 4 x 2.5Ghz 4.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 14 2009 9:49 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

Re: RTR320X VideoRAID Problems?

You can use any null modem cable.  Its not a specific AVID one.  Im bust now, but ill look at my config guide for mine and hit ya back.  In the mean time, if you have an assurance contract for the mac, Avid should be able to help you configure it.  Hope this helps.

Jay

ISIS 5500 - 240 Tb HPZ840 - MC 8.4.5 XDCAM HD - XDCAM EX - HDCAM -- HDCAM SR [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 19 2009 3:00 PM In reply to

• dansayshi
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

Thank you for the help, Jay! I dug up an old null modem cable and it worked like a charm! Sadly, my G5 still won't see the drive, though. Here is what I did: on a PC using the null modem cable, I configured the drive for Avid Mac, then reformatted just to be safe. I then took the array back to my G5, plugged it in, but still no go. Am I missing something? Thanks again for your help! And as far as I know (according to my other office) there's no warranty or support on the drives. I'm checking into that more today. Thanks!

- Dan

PowerMac G5 4 x 2.5Ghz 4.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 19 2009 3:24 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Dan,

Make sure you have the current Atto driver installed for the ul5d. You can download the driver at atto's website. After that you will need to format and or stripe (if using dual channel) the drives using express stripe software. Are you running the array single or dual channel?

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Mon, Jan 19 2009 4:04 PM In reply to

• dansayshi
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

Thank you for your response; I am running in dual channel; I double checked that I had the correct firmware and drivers according to the AVID website so as far as I know that problem is all fixed. Here is another issue: I don't have Express Stripe. Again, this array was purchased awhile ago by my employer used and apparently the software wasn't included. I figured I could just stripe and format using Disk Warrior or Disk Utility, but first I need to get the array recognized on the mac. Do I have to use Express Stripe? And any other suggestions as to how to get the drives recognized? Thanks again for the suggestions!

- Dan

• Tue, Jan 20 2009 1:24 AM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

The Mac Disc Utility won't work for a proper raid. Check your Avid utilities folder for the express stripe program. It should have been included with the Avid installer (it was for me). Launch program and select create raid. You should then see both of your volumes and be able to select them and partition together. Some settings Avid recommends, HFS striped, OS Extended "NO" Journaling. I partitioned my 2TB 10 drive VideoRaid in 250g partitions. Here is a link on that. Good Luck!

http://www.avid.com/cgi/kbase-redir.aspx?p_faqid=71457&p_created=1116371607&p_sid=11KGU8ij&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQ6MSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjksMjkmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1tZWRpYSBjb21wb3NlciBwYXJ0aXRpb24gbWFj&p_li=&p_topview=1v 

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Tue, Jan 20 2009 1:33 AM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Not sure that link worked so just do a search in the knowledge base for keyword "Media Composer partition mac". It describes file limitations.

I also see a link on that same page that has Express Stripe download, just in case you don't have it installed on your system.

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller