Latest post Thu, Apr 10 2014 6:41 PM by Craig Sheppard. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 13 2009 1:03 AM

• JMR
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 13 2009
    • Posts 19
    • Points 250

Can't relink or see media in media tool

Googling and troubleshooting all day..got no where....and now, I hope this forum can help!

A company I normally work for in house gave me a project on an external to do from home. They locked the harddrive (by mistake) so I transfered it over to a terabyte GRaid so I can read and write to the drive. On the root level of the harddrive is the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder. This is all the media that I need for the project they gave me. They forgot to include the project folder and bins on their drive so emailed those over. I then put those files onto my local drive and the project opens, I can see all folders and bins. Everything is offline.

When I normally do a project from home the files captured go into the "Avid MediaFiles" (mxf file storage) folder.  I am wondering if this has something to do with the problem because they captured OMF media files.  The media was captured on adrenalines and a symphony nitris.

Problem: I can not relink any of the files. I trashed all the database files. It won't rebuild new ones.

I made sure nothing was checked in the "drive filtering and indexing" category in the media creation.

I open up my media tool and the only files it shows me is the mxf ones.

I tried relinking everyway possible - and nothing works. This is over 200 gigs of stuff so it would be easy breezy if I could just get it to work! Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!!

PS. I tried restarting many times - still nothing

and I can see that all the media (audio and video) is there and on the harddrive. The avid just won't connect to it.

Specs: Avid Media Composer 3.0

Processor: Mac - Dual 2.5 Ghz Power PC G5

Version OS x 10.5.5

Memory: 3.5 GB

Specs: Avid Media Composer 3.0 Processor: Mac - Dual 2.5 Ghz Power PC G5 Version OS x 10.5.5 Memory: 5.5 GB Graphics/Displays: ATI Radeon 9600... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 13 2009 1:23 AM In reply to

Re: Can't relink or see media in media tool

JMR:

Let's see if we can force the system to see the OMFI media. In the media creation settings, change the media type to OMF and then capture or import something - anything. Perhaps that will force the database rebuild. EXTREMELY strange that trashing the MSM Media Database files does not automatically force a rebuild at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 13 2009 1:46 AM In reply to

• JMR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 19
    • Points 250

Hey Larry:

Thanks for your reply. I actually did that earlier and I was able to import one of the clips - audio and video. It plays back fine.  It then magically relinked to the original file. But nothing else connected. Weird huh?

Thanks for your advice!

Specs: Avid Media Composer 3.0 Processor: Mac - Dual 2.5 Ghz Power PC G5 Version OS x 10.5.5 Memory: 5.5 GB Graphics/Displays: ATI Radeon 9600... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 13 2009 1:49 AM In reply to

• JMR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 19
    • Points 250

Larry-

PS. Do you think I should just reimport everything - or try to solve the mystery?

• Tue, Jan 13 2009 1:56 AM In reply to

If you have all the source material, yes just go ahead and re-import. Just to confirm when you got the project files by email, that you put a "(Project Name)" folder inside the "Avid Projects" folder on your c: drive.

Perhaps those files somehow got corrupted in the email transmission - otherwise I can think of no reason for the failures both to relink and to rebuild database files.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 13 2009 6:01 PM In reply to

• JMR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 19
    • Points 250

Thanks Larry. I did a reimport over night and stuff linked up. I then realized what I fool I was and will post the answer incase somebody else is struggling with relinking. 

So... All the media goes into a folder called "OMFI MediaFiles" and in that folder were other folders holding media "Avid 283" "Avid 182" and then media would be in there. It was the room that digitzed the clips - So for some odd ball reason my computer needed all the media in the root level of the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder. not in the subfolders. So if anybody else ever runs into that problem....you'll have the answer! Rather than troubleshooting for 12 hours, to realize it's something so simple! I still have no idea why...but lesson learned...

Thanks Larry, for your help!

• Tue, Jan 13 2009 6:08 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome. Yes, that's quite true (except in the case of Unity, which creates sub folders for different platforms accessing the same media).

Three basic ground rules about managing and moving media:

1) Never change the name of the folders from the default names "Avid MediaFiles" and "OMFI MediaFiles".

2) Both media folders must live at the root level of the media drive, not inside any other folders nor contain any sub folders with media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jan 16 2009 9:32 PM In reply to

• mdc1138
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 18 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

I have a similar problem, I think - I have been converting Red footage for FCP projects for some time, and providing offline media for Avid clients, but had a client request I generate DPX files from his EDL. I still had all the Avid 14:1 23.98 files that I'd provided to him - but I can't get them to relink. Should I just re-import all the source media again and see if it'll relink?

-mike

• Fri, Jan 16 2009 9:39 PM In reply to

Mike:

Before you start re-importing, I would try deleting and rebuilding the media database files first. In each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database". If you have OMF media, go into the OMFI MediaFiles folder and delete the same two files. On re-launching Avid, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point. This will build an entirely fresh database and hopefully will restore media to online.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Apr 10 2014 12:55 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

Mike:

Before you start re-importing, I would try deleting and rebuilding the media database files first. In each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database". If you have OMF media, go into the OMFI MediaFiles folder and delete the same two files. On re-launching Avid, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point. This will build an entirely fresh database and hopefully will restore media to online.

Hi Larry, to re animate an old thread...

I've been given a consolidated sequence from a client and most of the audio sfx are offline. I've tried tricking MC by deleting the databse files and renaming the numbered folders within Avid MediaFiles directory with no luck. The pictures and the dialogue tracks relink immediately leaving the other 80% "offline". I can see there are similarly named files in the OMFI folder compared to the bin but the file names of the wav files have slightly different naming that looks like it could possibly have been added by Avid. It looks as if the media is there but it's a case of getting Avid to acknowledge that. I've tried relinking and also going into the settings as mentioned in this thread to no avail.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Mac OSX 10.7.5. 2x 3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Xeon, 6gb, MC 6.5.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 10 2014 1:16 AM In reply to

Hello

Sadly, our friend Larry Rubin passed away some time ago.

Let me ask you someting: Does the avid media folder in question has been renamed, even slightly? If so, MC won't see the files no matter what you do.

If don't, have you tried DYNAMIC RELINK?

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Thu, Apr 10 2014 3:12 AM In reply to

Craig Sheppard:
    Do you have any other suggestions?
    Quit Avid.

Rename your ofending Media drives OMFI MediaFiles folder to xxOMFI MediaFiles.
    Open a new Standard def "Test" Avid Project
    Set the Audio format to OMF 
    Create some Tone Media (or import a small audio only file) selecting the media drive 
    Quit Avid
    Check your Media drive has a new OMFI MediaFiles folder and in that is the file you just created and the 2 Avid media databases.
    Delete the two media databases.

Drag all of the files from your xxOMFI MediaFiles folder (except any database files) into your new OMFI MediaFiles folder,

Restart Avid and watch it Re Index your Media drives OMFI MediaFiles folder
    Open your Avid project and see if all your omf media is now online.

• Thu, Apr 10 2014 6:41 PM In reply to

My condolences and also apologies for any insensitivity.

Thank you for replying so quickly guys. @Carlos Sardá I have checked the naming of the directories and they are correct. I can see the dynamic relink in my settings but cannot check the box to activate it.

@AndrewAction I have started a new SD project. I am looking in settings>media creation>media type and can only see video settings. I have also looked under settings>audio, settings>audio project and settings>import>audio & OMFI/AAF but can not see where to set the audio format.

Thanks in advance. 

Mac OSX 10.7.5. 2x 3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Xeon, 6gb, MC 6.5.3 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller