Latest post Fri, Feb 13 2009 4:31 PM by fansfare. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 14 2008 12:29 AM

• TheShatner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 14 2008
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

DNA/Mojo Firewire issue summary please...

I'm new to these forums, and yes, I have been out of the Avid loop for years. BUT, I have been all over google, the COW, and Avid forums in order to find a recent, definitive answer to the firewire issues that seem to be going on with the Mac Pro, Mojo, DNA blah blah blah. The posts range in date from '06 to November '08 and I still can't get a very clear picture.

I'm running MC 3.0.6 on an 8 core (dual quad intel Xeon) 2.8GHz w/6 GB RAM, media is all on our Unity... we have 3 machines (all identical) using Mojo via the rear FW400 internal bus. I'm getting that standard error:

"A device on the 1394 bus causing problems. Please remove it or disable 'Output to DV Device'. - FTStatus Code - FT_LinkInitializationFailed - FlamethrowerLinkManager::OpenLink - Failed to create link object."  or something similar.

Obviously I am experiencing the same issue people running MC 2.6-2.8 were having whether they were running OS 10.4 or 10.5...

There is nothing else connected to the FW port.

The machine isnot set to "Output to DV Device."

The software runs fine as long as it's not in DNA mode.

The last thing I saw that had any pseudo solution was to get a PCI FW control card. I will do that if it's a fix. Then again, that post I saw was back in '07 sometime. I cannot be the only person with this as a recent problem.

Just in case I'm missing some key press release or forum, could someone PLEASE, sum up what is going on for myself and anyone else searching for answers?

Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8GHz, 6 GB RAM, MC 3.0.6, MacOS 10.5.4, Mojo, 6TB Unity, ATI Radeon HD 2600XT, QT 7.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 14 2008 1:47 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: DNA/Mojo Firewire issue summary please...

Hi,

Apple introduced a bug in their FW packet delivery code with Leopard. They finally corrected it with 10.5.5 so, if you run that OS, you should not see this error.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sun, Dec 14 2008 4:18 AM In reply to

• TheShatner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 14 2008
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Genius, thank you :)

Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8GHz, 6 GB RAM, MC 3.0.6, MacOS 10.5.4, Mojo, 6TB Unity, ATI Radeon HD 2600XT, QT 7.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 13 2009 3:32 PM In reply to

I am having a similar problem only on Avid Xpress Pro.  I'm running Mac OS X  10.4.10 and am getting the "Device on the 1394 bus causing problems...." error message in the record monitor.  I have the "Output to DV Device" disabled.  Would you recommend I upgrade to 10.5.5 also?  How do I go about doing that?

Sorry, I am new also...  but this problem has been haunting me for a quite a while.  It would be great to finally get it resolved.

Thanks so much.

• Fri, Feb 13 2009 3:42 PM In reply to

• fansfare
    • Not Ranked
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,160

Hey Shellsabell

you should write out what your system specs are.  Makes it easier to point you in a right direction.

there are a lot of variables so seeing what you're running will narrow down the responses.

MC 7, MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.9.1, Lacie 2big 6TB, QT 10.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 13 2009 3:51 PM In reply to

Sure!

Avid Xpress Pro v. 5.8  w. Avid Mojo DNA

G4 running OS X 10.4.10

SONY DSR -11- PAL

2T Gtech Graid External HD

Anything else that would help?

• Fri, Feb 13 2009 4:04 PM In reply to

• fansfare
    • Not Ranked
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,160

I'm guessing you're not running more then the just the Mojo on you FW bus?

MC 7, MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.9.1, Lacie 2big 6TB, QT 10.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 13 2009 4:11 PM In reply to

I have the mojo plugged into the machine's tower directly.  There are USBs plugged in above it.  But, the mojo isn't sharing a FW card with anything.

• Fri, Feb 13 2009 4:17 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

If the Mojo and the G-raids are both plugged into the CPU, they are on the same bus. If the G-Raids are attached to an external PCI FW card, then you have the correct configuration

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Feb 13 2009 4:20 PM In reply to

No, no.  Only the mojo  is plugged into the CPU.  I have the right configuration.

• Fri, Feb 13 2009 4:31 PM In reply to

• fansfare
    • Not Ranked
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,160

Then you mean your Graids are plugged into a FW card? Not into the front of your computer?

Well if you've got the right configuration then maybe try to repairing disk permissions on your drives.

maybe you've seen this link - it isn't a full resolution but they chat about different things to try to resolve it.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/24020.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller