Latest post Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:37 PM by timoto. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 12 2008 3:40 PM

• wpeschl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vienna/Austria
    • Posts 27
    • Points 395

Hmm [^o)] SubCap subtitling tool slows down the system...

Hi!

Right now, I'm subtitling a 90 minutes feature film and I started to do that with the new SubCap subtitling tool. But from a certain point, the editing of the subtitles (and there are hundreds) went slower and slower. And now. the access to the master title list takes up to 15 seconds. In the small window of the SubCap subtitling tool effects settings, the characters for CR, apostrophs and so look crazy. Has anyone experienced the same?

All the best

Wolfgang

MC 6.0, Nitris DX, HP XW8600 certified, Quadro FX3700, Win7, 8 GB RAM, 6TB storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 12 2008 4:03 PM In reply to

• signedbit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 1 2008
    • Posts 19
    • Points 215

Re: SubCap subtitling tool slows down the system...

The text window in the effect editor cannot display non-english characters, including CR. The window contains entity encoded text.  The "Edit Master Caption List" does correctly display the text.

I have not seend the slowness. How many captions are in your edit?

• Fri, Dec 12 2008 5:52 PM In reply to

• wpeschl
    • Not Ranked
    • Vienna/Austria
    • Posts 27
    • Points 395

Around 350-400...

At last I had to split the sequence in two parts. This went fine, but it is only a workaround...

Is there a real reason for the different text displays?

Wolfgang

MC 6.0, Nitris DX, HP XW8600 certified, Quadro FX3700, Win7, 8 GB RAM, 6TB storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 12 2008 6:02 PM In reply to

• GeorgeD
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,555

I've used SubCap with good success with Asian characters (Unicode) about 300 titles per half hour show. Yes the master Master Caption List is slow to open but I used it only for a few corrections. Instead of using the Master Caption List you can export a DS text file, edit it, and re-import. The SubCap has some rough corners but it's very handy as it is.

Version 3.1 has changed the text rendering, so it renders text a little fatter. so its best not to upgrade in the middle of a subcap project - or re-create the entire track.

• Fri, Dec 12 2008 6:19 PM In reply to

• wpeschl
    • Not Ranked
    • Vienna/Austria
    • Posts 27
    • Points 395

I'm at subtitle number 657...

I like the master caption list for putting in the CRs at the desired position for two-line subtitles. My feeling ist that the list has a memory cache limit. Maybe ther is a console commant to expand the size of this cache (a question for the developers...)...

Best

Wolfgang

• Wed, Jul 18 2012 5:23 PM In reply to

• timoto
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,195

Edit Master Caption List is dead slow to open !

Although it is possible to export and re-import, the import will not allow CR in the first line of a caption.

Productivity with SubCap could be radically increased if this tool's ability to read and display the captions was as fast a opening a text document in any other application I've ever used in 30 years of editing text.

Media Composer 6.0.5, Windows 7 Pro x64, Dell M4400, C2D 2.54GHz, 8GB RAM [view my complete system specs]

globaltimoto

one man - around the world - in - a quest for gameplay

globaltimoto.com

• Wed, Jul 18 2012 6:21 PM In reply to

I love subcap but it could definately do with an overhaul.

There should be a shortcut for adding CR like Shift+ENTER and the Master Caption List should be able to be always open like the locators list.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 18 2012 8:00 PM In reply to

• Lemuriatv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 5 2008
    • Czech Republic
    • Posts 229
    • Points 2,810

wpeschl:

Hi!

Right now, I'm subtitling a 90 minutes feature film and I started to do that with the new SubCap subtitling tool. But from a certain point, the editing of the subtitles (and there are hundreds) went slower and slower. And now. the access to the master title list takes up to 15 seconds. In the small window of the SubCap subtitling tool effects settings, the characters for CR, apostrophs and so look crazy. Has anyone experienced the same?

All the best

Wolfgang

Did you use full green or green/yelow display quality mode? For me there is useful to switch to yelow/green mode instead full green.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2,66 GHz, 8 GB RAM,NVIDIA Quadro K5200, 4 TB for video (2 TB in Raid), Win7ProCZ, MC 7.0.7 DONGLE Matrox MXO2 mini + second system... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:37 PM In reply to

• timoto
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,195

6.0.3 offers no resolution. :(

Media Composer 6.0.5, Windows 7 Pro x64, Dell M4400, C2D 2.54GHz, 8GB RAM [view my complete system specs]

globaltimoto

one man - around the world - in - a quest for gameplay

globaltimoto.com

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller