Latest post Wed, Dec 10 2008 8:29 PM by Abeyta. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 5 2008 7:29 PM

Please Help! HD Monitoring....?

Hi

Firstly I appologise for this not really being a Symph question, but I am having trouble finding experiences of professionals using HD.

I am gearing myself up for HD online and about to buy a Nitris DX to get HD content in and out, but am struggling with the choices for HD monitoring.

Sony's $15-20k options aren't really in my price range. I could almost stretch to the Sony BVM A20F1M but that is about $10k so I would rather not.

Apart that CRT and the BVM L230, are there any other monitors that are acceptable for finishing HD for broadcast? The channel is the BBC so I obviously need to get it right!

• Fri, Dec 5 2008 8:53 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Re: Please Help! HD Monitoring....?

Put politely, you are screwed.

That aside, you need to learn to live with the painful limitations of LCDs. Short of the 45K eCinema DPX monitors, none of them produce a useable black.

They all suffer from of axis issues, meaning that what you se dead on in the center of the monitor, is not what the client sees a little off to the side.

And depending upon the monitor, SD can look like dog pooh.

Aside from that, you can blow over 20K on a Sony ripoff, or you can spend around 3K on the JVC monitor and be fine. You can even buy two JVCs for much less than the Sony so your client can be dead center to one also.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Fri, Dec 5 2008 10:21 PM In reply to

Thanks TCurren. You have confirmed my fears of LCD. Also I agree regarding SD dog poo, I have seen! I wouldn't attempt SD on LCD.

When you talk of JVC, do you mean the 20" CRT they do (DTV1710CG)? Or do you mean their LCDs?

Just 2 more questions if you will! What do you use yourself? And do you think the Sony BVM-A20F1M would cut it?

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 3:14 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

The JVC DTV-24L1U.

Not familiar with the Sony model you mention, but who is selling those anyway, they are CRTs.

We use a combination of PVM 20L5s for color and the Panasonic 50" Pro Plasmas for the client monitors in our HD rooms.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 3:42 AM In reply to

Put politely, you are screwed.

This seems like a nice buy, not so expensive.

Is CRT and is also HD.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410274-REG/Sony_BVMA14F5U_BVMA14F5U_14_HD_Broadcast.html

I haven't seen one in action, but is a Sony CRT, so I would try.

There is also a 20 in. version.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 8:25 AM In reply to

Thanks guys.

Both the BVMA14F5U 14" above and the PVM20L5 are 800 line monitors - going down to 600 in 16:9 mode. Does HD video look any more detailed than SD on the PVM?

I haven't got my nitris dx yet but, does it give downconverted outputs concurrently with the HD output?

I am now wondering whether I just use my 20" PVM20M2E for colour adjustments and use something big and impressive for client monitoring.

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 8:49 AM In reply to

The Nitris does output downconverted SD in realtime. You have to enable it youself in the "Video Output" setting, though.

1 Avid MC 3.05 Nitris DX on HP XW8600 WS 1 Avid MC 3.05 Nitris DX on custom HW 1 Avid MC 3.05 SW on custom HW PDW-U1 drive, DNW-A75P SX recorder, Sony... [view my complete system specs]

----------------------- Morten Sørensen Gistrup Film i/s Denmark

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 3:40 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

david@cuttothebeat.com:
    Does HD video look any more detailed than SD on the PVM?

Absolutely! You don't see scan lines anymore.

In reality, none of these options are great for TRUE HD color space monitoring. I think a high end projector, properly calibrated in a good screening room is the only way to get there at this point. The rest of use what we know and trust.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 10:16 PM In reply to

• thmpr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 6 2008
    • Cymru
    • Posts 34
    • Points 450

About to set up my own HD suite, what some people I've talked to have done is use BOTH HD and SD monitors. The HDSDI from the nitris feeds a 50 inch plasma for evaluating sharpness etc, and the SD-SDI feeds a good old reliable SONY BVM grade 1 CRT for colour grading.

My own question is which HD monitor? I accept that there isn't a perfect one, so I think I have a choice of three options:

1: Sony LMD4250W lcd (pros, known to accept psf format at all frame rates. cons, LCD!, and only 42 inch)

2: Panasonic TH-50PF11EK plasma (pros, 50 inch, plasma, and cheap, cons, unsure if it accepts psf at enything other than 24fps)

3: domestic Pioneer Kuro with sdi to hdmi converter (pros, Even cheaper, better blacks than both the above. cons, again will it show psf?)

Has anybody experience of any of the above?, it would be good to hear your comments.

DS 10.3,DUAL-LINK HP8600 XP64 /-/ R.I.P, you will be sadly missed/-/ MC 7.0.2 HP8600 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 7 2008 12:49 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

the plasma is light years better than the LCD. Off axis is just like a CRT. Blacks are useable. Biggest drawback to these monitors is that you can't dial them in enough to get them to match your CRT exactly.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Sun, Dec 7 2008 12:41 PM In reply to

Hi

I'm in London and use a BVM 20" HD monitor and a Pioneer 1080p Kuro together. It works well for the moment till sombody (maybe Barco) make something really usefull (the new 23" BVM sony is NOT worth it)

regards

Michael L

• Sun, Dec 7 2008 2:53 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Michael16oz:
    I'm in London and use a BVM 20" HD monitor

How often are you folks replacing the tubes? Over here folks are getting between 6 months and 1.5 years depending upon whether they set the monitor up to SMPTE spec (runs brighter than Sony wants you to) or not. 

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Sun, Dec 7 2008 3:09 PM In reply to

• thmpr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 6 2008
    • Cymru
    • Posts 34
    • Points 450

Michael16oz:
    use a BVM 20" HD monitor and a Pioneer 1080p Kuro together

How do you feed the Kuro? I'm told that getting domestic monitors to accept Psf format is difficult

DS 10.3,DUAL-LINK HP8600 XP64 /-/ R.I.P, you will be sadly missed/-/ MC 7.0.2 HP8600 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 7 2008 10:43 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

thmpr:
    I'm told that getting domestic monitors to accept Psf format is difficult

Good question. 24 Psf doesn't work over HDMI. The Panasonic has the HD/SDI card option that does.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Dec 8 2008 12:05 AM In reply to

TCurren:
    How often are you folks replacing the tubes? Over here folks are getting between 6 months and 1.5 years depending upon whether they set the monitor up to SMPTE spec (runs brighter than Sony wants you to) or not.

The main culprit for this I believe was the 32" and to a lesser extent the 23" BVMDs. I think the 32inch had about 6months on the tube.

I haven't had the 20" checked recently.. but your post has jogged me and I'll get it done next week and report back.

It never came close to resolving 1080p anyway.

regards

Michael

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller