Latest post Tue, Dec 2 2008 12:41 AM by hbrock. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 27 2008 12:47 PM

Macbook Pro to buy or not to buy

Hi guys I have been editing on a PC with Avid all my life but would really like to convert to mac as I would like to learn FCP.  So I have found Mac that someone is selling having bought it in September this year for a project they were working on but no longer need it.

Before going ahead I was wondering if you guys could give me your thought:

Its a Macbook Pro 17" HD 2.33 GHZ Intelcore 2DUO / Memory 2GB 667 MHZ DDR@ SDRAM / Graphics card is a ATI Radeon x 1600 chipset ATY Radeon x 1600.

My big quetion is "Will I be able to run Pro HD and MC on here and is this the right GFX card for AVID"

Thanks for your advice guys.

Cheer Bauke

• Tue, Dec 2 2008 12:41 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Macbook Pro to buy or not to buy

Yes.

Any standard Apple supplied display card that has 128 MB of VRAM and supports Core Image and Quartz Extreme will work with Avid.  

If you want to run Xpress Pro you'll need to use Tiger (OSX 10.4.x) rather than Leopard (OSX 10.5.x).  Older MacBook Pros (like this one) will work while newer ones that didn't originally ship with Tiger won't.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller