Latest post Wed, Nov 12 2008 5:04 PM by ronn. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 8 2008 5:05 PM

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Diego
    • Posts 1,012
    • Points 12,640

Drobo Revisited

I just got the new version 2 Drobo (FW800/FW400/USB2.0) and populated it with (4) 1TB SATA drives. It works fine as a video drive with 1080/60i XDCAM projects (no capture, just importing files), when connected over USB, but I can't get it to transfer fast enough over FW800 for playback.

With USB I can capture dv25, but 1:1 chokes after a while with video over-run. 

I read that XP limits FW to 100 speed unless you use a third party FW driver. This doesn't seem to be the case, as I have a Lacie 1TB FW800 drive connected and it plays back fine at full throughput. It also captures 1:1 with no problems.

Any thoughts from the alpha-geeks on board on how I could get this to work? It's a great system in that your data is protected and it's pretty foolproof. Plus it has cool colored status lights.

Media Composer 2020.4 with Intensity Pro 4K, Dell i5680, Win-10 64. 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1060, Sony FS7, FS5, EX1, A6300, Ninja Assassin, Harley Dyna LowRider... [view my complete system specs]

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Mon, Nov 10 2008 5:11 PM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 1,012
    • Points 12,640

Re: Drobo Revisited

Addendum: I upgraded XP to SP3 and now I get the blue screen of death when I try to boot with the drobo connected over FW800. Back to USB (and with the Lacie on FW800) all is fine. Sigh.

Media Composer 2020.4 with Intensity Pro 4K, Dell i5680, Win-10 64. 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1060, Sony FS7, FS5, EX1, A6300, Ninja Assassin, Harley Dyna LowRider... [view my complete system specs]

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Tue, Nov 11 2008 2:51 PM In reply to

• the_dark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 17 2007
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,240

You need to visit Data Robotics for support regarding the Drobo. Here are a couple of knowledge base article I found on their site. While the below situation may not 'exactly' match your situation this could lend a pretty good clue as to the root cause of your problems.

What Firewire cards do you recommend I use with Drobo?

Customers who do not have Firewire 800 ports on their computer, will need to use a Firewire PCI add-in card.

We have tested Drobo with the following cards:

Belkin FireWire 800 3 port PCI Card http://www.belkin.com
    SIIG FireWire 800 PCI-32T Card http://www.siig.com

- On a Windows system, we recommend only using the Microsoft Windows drivers with these cards.

-------------------

I am experiencing Blue Screen crash (BSODs) on Vista with my Firewire Drobo attached.

For Vista users, it is very likely that you'll experience BSODs if you:

1) are using Unibrain-based drivers with your TI-based (Texas Instruments based) Firewire card (e.g. SIIG PCI-32T);

(most Firewire cards are based on the TI chipsets)

AND

2) you've created a partition on your Drobo-2 (i.e. New Drobo with Firewire 800) greater than 2TB. (e.g. 4TB, 8TB or 16TB)

If you must maintain a "disk" or partition size greater than 2TB, then you MUST use the "native" or embedded Windows
    drivers - NOT the Unibrain drivers (including those directly from SIIG's website). This will, of course, provide FW400 performance, as opposed to FW800.

This is a limitation or problem specific to Unibrain or Unibrain-based drivers: Unibrain is aware of this problem and is working on a fix.
    Dell Precision T3600 Intel Quad Core Xeon E5-1607 3.06Ghz 8GB Memory (4x2GB) 250GB System Drive 500GB to 1TB Media Drive nVidia Quadro 2000 Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 11 2008 3:42 PM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 1,012
    • Points 12,640

the_dark - I went through all of that info the first day and have a ticket into the drobo help desk. I have the SIIG card (which works fine with othe FW800 drives), and am using Windows drivers. I'm not trying to use it with Vista, just XP, so unibrain does not apply. I'm also not partitioning over 2TB. Thanks for the reply.

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Wed, Nov 12 2008 5:04 PM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 1,012
    • Points 12,640

Drobo support finally got back to me with the following useles info:

Thank you for contacting Drobo Technical Support.  Although our Knowledge Base recommends customers use one of the following 3rd Party FireWire cards with the Native Windows driver, rather than the manufacturer's driver, we have found this configuration to be unsuccessful most of the time.

Belkin FireWire 800 3 port PCI Card
    http://www.belkin.com
    SIIG FireWire 800 PCI-32T Card
    http://www.siig.com

Unibrain is in the process of creating a driver for the Drobo that will be compatible with 3rd Party Windows FireWire cards.  In the meantime, we suggest you use the Drobo connected via USB to a USB port directly onto the BACK of your computer until the Unibrain driver is made available.  We have no ETA as to when this driver will be completed.

Have a wonderful day,
    Wanda
    Drobo Support

So why recommend a combination in theknowledge Base that does not work? At this point I recommend staying away from Drobo.

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller