Latest post Tue, Oct 28 2008 8:38 PM by Scott Carnegie. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 28 2008 12:28 AM

• MikePoglitsch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Naperville, IL
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,425

Project Backups for safety

When Im finished with a project, I copy the project files along with all of the graphics, vo, script, etc.  onto a 500GB firewire drive (often using Winzip to compress them).   Then I clear my Avid.  If I need to rebuild the project I can re-didgitize the tape or re-import the P2 clips, this methodology works very smoothly for me.

My fear is that sooner or later that drive will crap out and all my projects will be screwed.  Call me retentive, but I would like to backup my backups.  Anyone know of a cost effective or smart way to do this?  Buy yet another 500 GB drive and mirror one to the other?  Thoughts....

2 Avids: Z400 Win 7 - 12GB RAM, BlackMagic Intensity Pro, z400 Win 7 Matrox MXO2 Mini 12GB RAM Both trying to run MC 7, QT 7.7.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 28 2008 12:31 AM In reply to

Re: Project Backups for safety

I'm looking at getting a dRobo for just the scenario you're talking about.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Oct 28 2008 12:43 AM In reply to

• MikePoglitsch
    • Not Ranked
    • Naperville, IL
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,425

I saw the drobo site earlier, and was impressed.  However, on the dvxuser.com website under the Avid header others were having problems (however, I think they were trying to use it as a video raid).

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=146534

2 Avids: Z400 Win 7 - 12GB RAM, BlackMagic Intensity Pro, z400 Win 7 Matrox MXO2 Mini 12GB RAM Both trying to run MC 7, QT 7.7.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 28 2008 1:27 AM In reply to

That's interesting, I had never considered it would be any problem.  My plan has always been to turn it on, do a Consolidate and turn it off.  Also, I'm using a MacPro and I noticed that there was mention of something funky with Windows and FW800. 

I won't be getting one at least until end of the year though, if I can put it off that long.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Oct 28 2008 7:25 AM In reply to

• Chad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 14 2005
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,190

We're currently using a Drobo to occasionally archive offline media from our Unity.  It works extremely well, although we use it over USB2 so it ain't fast - but the simplicity of adding storage and the protection factor is extremely useful to us.

My assistant tells me he occasionally plays back from it if he's checking what to restore, but this is for DV 4:2:0 media only.

If you've got fast broadband and are backing up project files and graphics, you could use a hosted solution like Carbonite or JungleDisk as a failsafe.  This has the added advantage of being offsite immediately.  Of course these would be completely impractical for media files.

Avid MCA 3.0 on WinXP SP2 3Gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Oct 28 2008 12:59 PM In reply to

• Kevin Sio
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Posts 358
    • Points 4,580

I currently archive to external hard drives but fear the day when one of them dies.   There are a number of other options:  tape drives are reliable but very expensive.  We are considering archiving to Blu Ray discs as an alternative. 

We also have to consider another factor.  Material that is shot and used for one program may get re-used in a number of different programs.  Keeping that media on hand and organized is a question we have yet to answer.

Kevin

HP-xw8600-Media Composer 4.0.2-G-Tech G Speed Pro XLT [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 28 2008 7:18 PM In reply to

I use a SATA drive enclosure so the performance is great.  I can slide drives in ant out with ease without need to restart my system.  I have 2 backup drives that are identical so I have 2 backups at any time.  It isn't a bad idea to test the drive every 6 months if you haven't used them.  How often do you go 6 months without need to backup a project, though.

Dell Precision M90 laptop, Quadro FX2500M, Windows XP SP2, MC 2.8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 28 2008 8:38 PM In reply to

I do the hard drive back-up as well. About every six months or so I spin them up to make sure they're still working.

Media Composer 2019.11 Home-built Windows 10 Pro Asus Z87-A Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller