Latest post Thu, Aug 27 2009 1:01 PM by mjolnarn. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 15 2008 4:01 PM

• volkersm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sioux Center, IA
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

MC 3.0 to Avid DVD by Sonic: DVD hangs up on Video frame every time

Here's what I'm doing. Maybe someone has been through this and can help me out.

From Media Composer: >Send to>Encoding>Sorenson Squeeze 4.5>QT Reference File

In Sorenson Squeeze: I add a basic filter, squeeze as Mpeg  1/2, Large DVD format. When I play that file in Windows Media Player, all is well.

In Avid DVD by Sonic 4.5, I made the menus, play the simulation, and all is well.

I burn the DVD

I play the DVD. During the last 5 seconds, the DVD always hangs up on a video frame. The audio continues to the end, then the whole thing goes back to menu as it should, but the DVD will just hang on a frame there and not progress into the fade to black and the closing graphic (a simple jpg).

This has happened on numerous projects. Things I have done over the last 20 hours (literally) are: re-cut in Avid, change the length of the dissolve, move the jpg to the front of the timeline, etc. I did a video mixdown in Avid before going to Squeeze. I have skipped Sorenson and gone stragiht to Avid DVD as a QT movie or an AVI. I have gone into Sorenson as as a QT movie. I have yelled and screamed. The DVD continues to hang up in the last few seconds of the movie. Everything else is fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks all. 

HP xw8200 Media Composer 3.0 Avid DVD by Sonic 5.7 After Effects 7.0 Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 Windows XP [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Oct 15 2008 4:05 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: MC 3.0 to Avid DVD by Sonic: DVD hangs up on Video frame every time

After all you have tried, I would attempt this again on another DVD burner. You may have a problem in the hardware.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Aug 26 2009 3:36 PM In reply to

• deditguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Posts 22
    • Points 300

Sorry, it's not the hardware.  I've been through this same issue with this poor excuse for DVD authoring software.  I've burnt DVDs on multilple burners and it has no effect on the outcome.  How about solving the problem Avid instead of making lame excuses.

MC 2018.12.8, iMac Pro 2017, 2.3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 128GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6 AJA 4K Plus I/O box, G-Tech 48TB drive array [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 26 2009 3:52 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,363
    • Points 53,915

You did not mention if this happens on different DVD players, have you tried other players?

Also,it is prudent never to use 100% of the physicial space on a DVD. I never use more than 95%.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Aug 26 2009 4:41 PM In reply to

• DonR
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Irving, Mexas
    • Posts 225
    • Points 3,130

Hello Volkersm,

I have been testing DVD authoring in an effort to make some decent underwater video DVD's. Started with Sony PDX10 DVCAM in Light & Motion underwater housing with Thalacetor ($4,500.00 lens), Sony DVCAM tape, Sony DSR-25 recorder, AVID MOJO (original version), AVID Media Composer 3.5.4 and output using OMF file and QT Reference (digital mastering), that file MPEG-2 encoded using Cinema Craft SP2 using VBR bit rates of 2,000 minimum, 8,000 average, 9,000 maximum, Picture Quality Standard 4, QC 12, and audio WAVE, 48000 Kps, stereo, that MPEG-2 video/WAVE file is then fed into DVD LAB Pro 2.0 as well as Sonic Solutions ReelDVD 3.1.3a for authoring and burning DVD's (Taiyo Yuden DVD-WPPSB16-WS discs).

DVD LAB Pro 2.0 requires less time to author and burn the first disk by almost 50%. DVD LAB Pro 2.0 requires 5 minutes to burn the second DVD and later ones  after the first disc has been authored and burned while ReelDVD 3.1.3a requires  13 1/2 minutes to author and burn the first disc, and then right at 8 1/2 minutes to burn the the second, third and later discs. HOWEVER, to my eyes, the ReelDVD 3.1.3a authored and burned discs "appear" to me to be better quality. Better color saturation and resolution.

One other kicker, I am NOT using the stardard TV size of 4:3.  I am using 16:9 aspect ratio since more and mroe people are purchasing the "wide" sets.

Do take care of the foundation file type that goes into Quick Time Player 7.6. I was having no luck with audio when I inadvertently used MXF files in AVID. When I finally realized what was happening, I transcoded the MXF files to OMF and the problems disappeared.

I have spent about six weeks running test after test to arrive at this point. Ran almost 100 actual "burn" tests.

At this moment, I am burning DVD's that will be going out to the handicapped SCUBA divers who are the major recepients of these DVD's.

I DO NOT MAKE A LIVING SHOOTING UNDERWATER VIDEO OR EDITING THE TAPE. Therefore, I can afford to sit on my behind and run test after test. I am obsessed with squeezing the greatest quality out of the process as possible. With that in mind, I will run even more tests with additional authoring/burning software. Unfortunately, Sonic's ReelDVD 3.1.3a is no longer on the market and that version seems to be the real ticket. Discs authored and burned using ReelDVD 3.1.3a is giving me better results than even ReelDVD 3.1.3 (no "a"). I have been using Sonic's ReelDVD products since about 2002 and, as I recall, ReelDVD 3.1.3a (the last version) was equipped with an upgraded "engine."  Will be interesting to determine if the DVD authoring/burning software has really advanced since the inception of ReelDVD 3.1.3a in 2004.

Will spring for DVDit Pro HD and begin running tests to see the results it provides.

If others have recommendations/suggestions, I would certainly like to hear them. Who knows, we might come up with some truly improved results.

Don R.

SuperMicro Superworkstation 7045A-T Computer Hardware: 1-Supermicro Sys-7045A-TB 4U Xeon 1333FSB FB-DIMM 6XSATA Motherboard X7DAE 2-Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 26 2009 4:49 PM In reply to

• deditguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 22
    • Points 300

The issue is that the video freezes at the end of a chapter/title before the actual MPEG2 movie file is finished playing.  Extending out the audio makes no difference.  Adding black to the end of your sequence makes no difference.  It's as if the software has been written to do this on purpose.  My MPEG2 movies out of Sorenson do no do this. 

This problem shows up on any DVD player used whether it's software based or a stand alone unit.  The disc space used is not the problem either.  It'll do it on files 100mb or 3gbs.

Also, why does Avid DVD transcode the video every time you burn a DVD?  The MPEG2 file that Sorenson creates is supposed to be DVD-ready already.  Perhaps this transoding stage is causing the problem.

Anyone else out there have this problem?  If so, how did you get around it?

MC 2018.12.8, iMac Pro 2017, 2.3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 128GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6 AJA 4K Plus I/O box, G-Tech 48TB drive array [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 26 2009 5:01 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

deditguy:

Also, why does Avid DVD transcode the video every time you burn a DVD?  The MPEG2 file that Sorenson creates is supposed to be DVD-ready already.  Perhaps this transoding stage is causing the problem.

Anyone else out there have this problem?  If so, how did you get around it?

A quite normal prob I think, the latest release of Squeeze seems to do this better, just load your qt ref into Avid Dvd and let Avid Dvd do the encoding work

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Aug 26 2009 8:51 PM In reply to

• DonR
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Irving, Mexas
    • Posts 225
    • Points 3,130

Deditguy,

You ask:

"Also, why does Avid DVD transcode the video every time you burn a DVD?  The MPEG2 file that Sorenson creates is supposed to be DVD-ready already.  Perhaps this transoding stage is causing the problem.

Anyone else out there have this problem?  If so, how did you get around it?"

Yes, I had this problem just about every time I used these "all-for-one" DVD encoding/burning packages. They are designed to re-encode whatever is fed to them, and then they begin the authoring and burning process. I got around it by dumping the AVIDDVD tool package and sticking with Cinema Craft SP and SP2, and then authoring and burning with a software program that COULD NOT MPEG-2 encode the files that were fed into the authoring/burning program. Probably takes too long but I'm looking for the best color/resolution quality so I can afford to tinker around and test, test, test.

I will be looking at the Sonic Solutions DVDit Pro software packages, but before ordering them, Sonic will have to assure me that I can cut out the built-in MPEG-2 encoding program.

Don R.

SuperMicro Superworkstation 7045A-T Computer Hardware: 1-Supermicro Sys-7045A-TB 4U Xeon 1333FSB FB-DIMM 6XSATA Motherboard X7DAE 2-Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 26 2009 9:06 PM In reply to

• deditguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 22
    • Points 300

Brilliant suggestion!  The QT ref file imported directly into the Avid DVD software.  I didn't think it would take a reference file.  I burned another test DVD and the video freeze frame problem didn't occur.  It faded out like it was supposed to.

Thanks MJOLNARN!

• Wed, Aug 26 2009 10:32 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,363
    • Points 53,915

Dvdit will accept SOME mpeg2 files without transcoding, but only if the audio and video framelengths are EXACTLY the same. Things like motion menus and audio played during menus almost always force a transcode.

Really, the only reasons for external encoders are very long clips where 2 pass VBR can help, or very high fidelity audio tracks, as DVdit is limited to 48khz 16 bit pcm. BD standards allow much higher 96khz 24 bit for example.

Of course, the quality of your source governs the need for this. As I record with good mics at 96khz 24 bit, I look to mantain that quality. TmpGe Express allows me to encode in this manner.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Aug 26 2009 11:04 PM In reply to

• DonR
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Irving, Mexas
    • Posts 225
    • Points 3,130

TVJohn,

Rather than w pass VBR, I use six (6) passes at high bit rates which totals seven (7) total passes. Cinema Craft is so fast, the seven (7) passes total only ten minutes longer than the video. So, if the video is 53 minutes in length, the time to Cinema Craft SP2 encode is about 63 minutes. For my work, the time is of no consequence and I am astounded how rapidly the MPEG-2 encoding process finishes.

Does DVDit accept a Wave file and encode it to AC-3 Dolby? If not, that is a strike against DVDit.

Thank you.

Don R.

• Thu, Aug 27 2009 4:40 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,363
    • Points 53,915

You have the option of forcing a transcode or allowing pass-thru. DVdit does wav to either pcm 48khz /16 bit or Dolby Digital up to 348kbs 2 channel.

• Thu, Aug 27 2009 4:43 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,363
    • Points 53,915

Cinema Craft SP runs around $2k. Tmpge X4 sells less than $100.

• Thu, Aug 27 2009 4:50 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

deditguy:

Brilliant suggestion!  The QT ref file imported directly into the Avid DVD software.  I didn't think it would take a reference file.  I burned another test DVD and the video freeze frame problem didn't occur.  It faded out like it was supposed to.

Thanks MJOLNARN!

Very good

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Aug 27 2009 12:40 PM In reply to

• DonR
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Irving, Mexas
    • Posts 225
    • Points 3,130

TVJohn,

Thank you for the information regarding the feature in DVDit that allows the user to avoid using the  transcoder (I suppose by "transcoder" Sonic really means MPEG-2 "encoder") that is built into DVDit.  Will download the DVDit Pro and be ready to start testing next week.

Don R.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller