Latest post Tue, Dec 30 2008 7:23 PM by BobRusso. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 30 2008 4:56 PM

• KBod
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 3 2006
    • Chicago
    • Posts 18
    • Points 410

XDCam WorkFlow

Since I gave Users an idea of what to expect with their P2 workflow in an Avid, I thought I’d do the same for XDCam.

These screen shots are the menus that were added to streamline the process in Media Composer 2.7, XpressPro 5.7 & Symphony Nitris 1.7.

XDCam basics

XDCam automatically records both a high resolution image in MPEG-2 and low resolution proxy image in MPEG-4 with a bit rate of approximately 2 Mb/s.

If media is transferred to a disk the low resolution proxy is also created.

The media can then easily be transferred to your Avid system through an IEEE 1394/Firewire connection at faster than real time speeds.

XDCam Disk File Structure

- Clip folder contains the high resolution media files and Metadata

- Sub folder contains low resolution proxy files

- Edit folder contains EDL’s, General folder has User files  (neither of these are used by  the Avid system.)

- The Index file is an index of all the files on the disk

- DiskMeta is the disk label information.

- XDCam disk is seen as if it were local storage when it is connected via firewire.

- Media recorded is an MXF files, but are OP-1A, in which

audio and video data is interleaved. (not the same as Avid MXF)

- These files are “de-interleaved” to separate video and audio

files as part of the import process.

Import Speed vs. Playback Performance

There is a new tab in the Import Settings dialog box that deals exclusively with XDCam. The speed of the proxy import depends upon the Avid editing application Import settings.

For instance, the proxy audio is sampled at 8kHz. If you chose to have a sample rate conversion done on import, the system will have another process to complete on the import. However, this means the system will not have to do a conversion for the project audio rate “on the fly” during playback and thus effect playback performance.

WorkFlow Option #1

Import all Proxy media > Edit > Conform to High Res

1) Mount the XDCam Disk

2) Select File>Import XDCam Proxy

All Proxy media from the disk will be imported to the bin.

3) The Avid System will ask you to name the disk the   

same way you would normally be asked to name a tape.

4) Edit your Proxy media

5) Once you’ve finished editing highlight the sequence in the bin and

Batch Import the High Res media that corresponds to the proxy

media you’ve used in your sequence.

6) Select to Batch Import "All clips" and not the default "Offline only"

7) As with any Batch Import, the system will show you the location of the media to be imported.

Handle length for the High Res import are set in the XDCam tab of the Import Settings.

WorkFlow Option #2

Selectively import Proxy media > Edit > Conform to High Res

1) Import just the Proxy media needed, instead of all Proxy media.

File>Import>Ctrl Select Proxy media to import from Sub folder on XDCam disk.

You may also Drag & Drop Proxy clips from the Sub folder on the disk into the bin.

2) Edit

3) Conform to High Res media by Batch importing as found in WorkFlow Option#1

WorkFlow Option #3

On-Line all the Time – Only working with High Res media

1) Import only High Res material necessary to complete you edit.

File>Import>Ctrl Select High Res media to import from Clip folder on XDCam disk.

You may also Drag & Drop Proxy clips from the Sub folder on the

disk into the bin.

• Wed, Oct 8 2008 6:37 AM In reply to

Re: XDCam WorkFlow

Hi,

this is cool but I have a few questions. During Batch Import Avid normally imports the same footage that was used before, thus it points to the proxy files (as shown in your screenshot). Do you have to set the location one by one to the hi-res media? Or (just by selecting HD resolution) avid knows that you don't want the proxy again?

Is there a reason to use dvcpro HD resolution for importing xdcam HD, or is it just a choice of your taste?

I would mention to pay attention to the number of audio tracks when importing. Xdcam can have 8 tracks and it's the default setting in avid but a "normal" footage usually contains only 1-2 useful tracks of audio, and its annoying to always turn off the unwanted channels during editing.

HP Z420 MC 2018.12.3/2018.18.2/7.0.4 MINT server-client network [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 11 2008 10:52 AM In reply to

• yvesmagat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 11 2008
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

Hi. Does it work the same way when the disk is connected to the computer from a camera instead of a desktop player ?

Thanks.

Yves

• Mon, Oct 13 2008 2:43 PM In reply to

• tmcneme
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 13 2008
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

do you have any tips for Avid Liquid Chrome Xe version 7 users?

• Mon, Oct 13 2008 3:06 PM In reply to

xeri:
    Do you have to set the location one by one to the hi-res media? Or (just by selecting HD resolution) avid knows that you don't want the proxy again?

You would go into the XDCAM options tab in the import tool and choose "batch import hi res only" and de-select "force import of both proxy and hi res files". That's all there is to it.

yvesmagat:

Hi. Does it work the same way when the disk is connected to the computer from a camera instead of a desktop player ?

Thanks.

Yves

Yes, it works the same way so long as your computer recognizes and mounts the camera as a drive, and so long as you have the XDCAM drivers installed.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Oct 14 2008 5:39 AM In reply to

• Flimmer Film
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Copenhagen
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Hey Larry,

We have been using workflow 3 for a year, but we can't batch digitize from another computer than the original import was made from. Everybody I talk to have the same problem, and I haven't been able to find a lasting solution. Is it a known issue? Is there a work around?

bs

Joao

Unity and MC's DX Nitris [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 14 2008 1:03 PM In reply to

I wasn't aware that moving a project from platform A to platform B would cause XDCAM batch importing to fail on platform B. If I have time, I'll try to replicate this problem. Anybody else seeing this?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Oct 14 2008 7:34 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    Anybody else seeing this?
    For me it certainly does for moving projects between Mac and PC and does not between two PC MC's (no shared storage)

• Wed, Oct 15 2008 2:19 PM In reply to

• Eric
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Canada
    • Posts 561
    • Points 6,400

I havent checked in awhile but is this possible on the Mac side?
    Last I remember the Import option didnt work at all.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Apple OS X 10.13.6 MC 2018.10.0 Avid Arist I/O [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 15 2008 2:29 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Has anyone tried this in 3.0.5? Avid was made aware of this design flaw and was supposed to correct it. I was wondering if it's happened yet. 

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Dec 30 2008 5:56 PM In reply to

• Bob Tonge
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 23 2008
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Due to time constraints I recently edited a piece by importing the Hi-Res files rather than using the proxy files.

I imported the MXF file using the usual import function..however I could not create motion effects

or freeze frames. 

Any Ideas?

Bob Tonge

Tongo Productions, Inc.

• Tue, Dec 30 2008 7:06 PM In reply to

• stu.mccoll
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Auckland
    • Posts 271
    • Points 3,370

Hi, We had been using workflow #1 and struck the following problem: When we came to conform, the system throws up an error message stating "timecode out of range" on some clips and on others, the audio was way off synch. To get the series out, we eventually resorted to a full res, real-time import via SDI and are continuing to do that for all XDCAM originated shows. As I would really like to make use of the time savings with the proxy import, I really need to get the problem resolved. Any ideas? System: HP XW8400 & XW8600 workstations with MC 3.0 Thanks, Stu.

HP Workstations z400(x4) with MC 7.0.4, Win 7 Pro SP1 64bit on all. AJA IO Express on all. MacPro x3 with 10.9.4, 7.0.4 on 3, and 8.3 on the dual Xeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 30 2008 7:23 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Have you taken a look at the document on the XDCAM landing page: http://www.avid.com/xdcam/

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller