Latest post Fri, Sep 26 2008 9:01 AM by B.J. Ahlen. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 21 2008 5:40 PM

• chrischen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 26 2007
    • Posts 43
    • Points 505

Display for video editing

What's a good display for video editing, if there is such a thing?

CNET told me to look for fast response times, yet the Apple Cinema Display has slow response times. So what brand is good?

Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Ghz 4GB Ram GeForce 8600 256 mb Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz 3GB Ram Geforce 8500 256mb [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Sep 21 2008 11:43 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Display for video editing

My systems have nothing but Apple Cinema displays on them. They are a bit pricey but they have great color response.

There are less expensive options but the cinema displays are my personal choice.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Sep 22 2008 12:30 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

On our Windows systems we have a mix of Samsung, HP and Dell display. All are pretty good. I also had a Samsung on the Mac I was using at the last job - it was pretty decent, but was always a little over saturated in red I think. Never could quite get it right, but with a calibration tool it might be possible. I've noticed the same with the Samsungs here too, so I think it's the nature of those displays.

The Dell 'UltraSharp' range are incredibly popular. And HP has just released a new monitor aimed at applications like editing.

I've never used a Cinema Display, much less head to head with other monitors, so I can't comment about them.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Mon, Sep 22 2008 3:06 AM In reply to

I,000 to 1 contrast ratio seems awfully low in today's world, especially if that monitor was to be used for full screen display.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Sep 22 2008 5:21 AM In reply to

• chrischen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 26 2007
    • Posts 43
    • Points 505

I mean like as there is NEC, LaCie, Eizo for graphics and photos, are there similar brands for video editing? Also will a consumer CRT monitor/tv work for just color accuracy?

Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Ghz 4GB Ram GeForce 8600 256 mb Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz 3GB Ram Geforce 8500 256mb [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Sep 22 2008 7:49 AM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,665
    • Points 19,920

Duble post.

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 22 2008 7:51 AM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,665
    • Points 19,920

chrischen:

I mean like as there is NEC, LaCie, Eizo for graphics and photos, are there similar brands for video editing? Also will a consumer CRT monitor/tv work for just color accuracy?

A1. Sony LVM-serie, Panasonic BT-LH-serie, JVC has some.

A2. No. A professional video monitor, as audio monitors. is build to let you watch the pictures as bad they are. A consumer monitor/tv is build to make bad pictures look great.

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 22 2008 2:10 PM In reply to

• Avid 99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 503
    • Points 6,520

I can't wait to read a review of the HP DreamColor in a video post environment (besides HP/Dreamworks PR).  Supposedly, it's the only "reasonably priced" monitor that will display 32 bits (for "billions" of colors).  The big holdup is that there aren't many 32 bit cards, and none for the Mac, AFAICT.  It has HDMI 1.3, but none of the current i/o boxes, including Avid DX brands are HDMI 1.3 (I believe they're 1.0... 24 bit).  It also has other digital inputs, but I haven't discovered a method to get 32 bits over HDSDI.  This isn't really a huge problem, as what it means to me is that it can be used to display 24 bits now, and 32 bits later, when the other hardware catches up.  Another purported downside is the refresh rate is slower than tne new Panasonics (but just as fast as all the other HD LCD and Plasmas).  But, that's probably only going to be apparent for sports or other fast moving video, and fine for 90% of what most of us do every day.

MBP 17" - 1x2 2.66 - 4G RAM - 10.7.4 - 7.6.6 - MC 6.0.3 ///// MacPro3,1 - 2x4 3GHz - 32G RAM - 10.7.4 - 7.6.6 - ATTO R680 SAS RAID5 (8x2TB) - MC 6... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 22 2008 7:18 PM In reply to

If HP's stated 12ms response for full black to white response time is accurate it should be fast enough. Most manufacturers use the gray to gray response time spec to make them look faster. Most content that we'll be editing is closer to gray to gray change than black to white on a pixel to pixel basis so the HP's 6ms response would definitely seem fast enough. 60 fps video is 16.7 ms (1/60).
    Panasonic doesn't state anywhere what their specs really are. I really don't know if the panel IPS+ panel makes all that much of a difference. So the double speed must rely on some motion preprocessing. I saw the BT-LH1760 unit @ NAB and was not THAT impressed.

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 7:56 AM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,665
    • Points 19,920

Avid 99:

I can't wait to read a review of the HP DreamColor in a video post environment (besides HP/Dreamworks PR).  Supposedly, it's the only "reasonably priced" monitor that will display 32 bits (for "billions" of colors).  The big holdup is that there aren't many 32 bit cards, and none for the Mac, AFAICT.  It has HDMI 1.3, but none of the current i/o boxes, including Avid DX brands are HDMI 1.3 (I believe they're 1.0... 24 bit).  It also has other digital inputs, but I haven't discovered a method to get 32 bits over HDSDI.  This isn't really a huge problem, as what it means to me is that it can be used to display 24 bits now, and 32 bits later, when the other hardware catches up.  Another purported downside is the refresh rate is slower than tne new Panasonics (but just as fast as all the other HD LCD and Plasmas).  But, that's probably only going to be apparent for sports or other fast moving video, and fine for 90% of what most of us do every day.

But most video is only 8bit or 10bit in some exceptional cases (Digibeta, Avid 1:1x codec).

• Fri, Sep 26 2008 9:01 AM In reply to

• B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

berga:
    But most video is only 8bit or 10bit in some exceptional cases (Digibeta, Avid 1:1x codec).

Different bits (so to speak).

"8-bit" and "10-bit" is per color/component. They need to be multiplied by 3 for RGB or YUV, and become 24-bit and 30-bit respectively.

I also have not been impressed with the Panny monitors.

JVC offers better value, for example their 24" 1080P DT-V24L1U ($2,000 at B&H) and DT-V24L1DU (ditto with an SDI jack, $3,300).

See this geeky SMPTE-member's "Guide to Purchasing a Broadcast Monitor" (a review of broadcast monitors at all price levels, some of which have dropped since he posted this article).

Media Composer 3.0, HP xw8600 w/Quadro 3700, Mac Pro 8-core 10GB, MacBook Pro OS X 10.4, AJA IO, DL Extreme HD&SD, 4TB RAID, FCS2, Adobe Master Collection... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller