Latest post Tue, Sep 23 2008 12:21 PM by bee gee. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 21 2008 11:29 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,735
    • Points 67,290

Re: Is USB2.0 fast enough for external storage?

luca.mg:

It's not supported/allowed by Avid (!)

English is not my first language, as You all can tell (right under my nickname there's a line reading Roma - Italy [my english is better than Your italian anyway!]). So I meant "supported/recommended" by Avid, and I did not mean to start a flame; moreover I was being sarchastic (is the spelling correct?) as Avid sells its own hard drives it is implied that Avid branded HDs are the allowed ones, and I'm glad that I've put a smile on someone's face as that was something I wanted to achieve other than helping a colleague. Moreover: the original question is "Is USB2.0 fast enough for external storage?" and the short answer is yes for offline and SD resolutions; as for me I love working with Avid SCSI disks, 12 of them in raid 0 if I may, very well cooled, quiet and reliable, and performing better than fiber disks or Medea too AFAICT; it's also nice to know that running the Avid StartUp service has a meaning. I also own, and adore it as a fetish, an old Avid beige hard disk case that used to accomodate a huge Micropolis (3 GBs!) Avid rebranded disk, now modified to host two striped 500 GBs disks connected via firewire to the workstation, soon to be modified again to become eSATA. Back in the days when 3 GBs of Avid storage would cost You what today is € 4500 (three times as much as an already quite expensive non Avid hard drive, no wonder I kept the case when the disk blew up), when asking for support even for a video card problem the first question was: "Are You running original Avid disks?", and being the answer a "No" You were denied support! This is to verify that at least there used to be a way to only allow certain disks and that I do have a good reason for being sarchastic; by the way, it was just about time for the "Avid new thinking" era, I just would like to see some more of it, especially when it comes to Avid hardware and its pricing (I would only use Avid LVD MediaDrives if they did not cost € 1200 compared with the € 250 You pay for a Seagate Cheetah drive + € 100 for a case; as stated before: I love Avid drives). Wishing that there is a bit of sense of humor left around the forum I ask everybody to have mercy of me, not only I'm not english mothertongue: I also do not know how to paste those yellow smiles in the post, that otherwise would be filled with them ;-).

Symphony 20.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Sep 21 2008 2:00 PM In reply to

Hey, sorry Luca. Just because you live in Italy, it doesn't mean that you are natively an Italian. You could be a Brit or an American living there, or simply born and raised there by expats. It's all cool, I don't like friction or the prospect of flame wars either. Oh, and this forum often has plenty of humour floating around.

Peace. Wink

MSI Neo-2 Platinum Nforce3 Ultra (Bios Rev 1.0D) Athlon64 X2 4200+ (Overclocked to 2 x 2.4GHz) AMD Cool'N'Quiet CPU Throttling 2GB Corsair PC3200... [view my complete system specs]

"When the waters are at their calmest, that's when folk most want to skim their pebbles." - Me

"Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

• Sun, Sep 21 2008 4:15 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,735
    • Points 67,290

SmileHi malek, no need to be sorryBig Smile, as You can see I've managed to add the smiles, now when I figure out how to attach pictures I'll post a shot of that old fashion drive I was writing about

Symphony 20.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Sep 22 2008 5:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,380
    • Points 233,240
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

malefunktion....

No apologies required :)    I just wanted to make sure it was clear so it wasn't misinterpreted or anyne set their expectations incorrectly/differently.

No worries on my end

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 22 2008 5:14 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,380
    • Points 233,240
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

luca.mg

You are doing fine with your posting and continue on....... great to have someone from across the globe contributing.   

Need anything... I am always only an email away.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 22 2008 9:28 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,735
    • Points 67,290

EmbarrassedMarianna!!!WOWCool

As for contributing, this is for the long time Avid addicts users

25x10x29 cm

peace luca

• Tue, Sep 23 2008 12:06 AM In reply to

• daapap
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Germany
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,910

Marianna:

... great to have someone from across the globe contributing.

as long as we communicate in forums where politics and beer are not the main concern even from here Italy is across the globe: the sun shines brighter, the wine is finer, the sea is bluer, the people happier.

on the other hand, here, north of the alps, you can even consolidate on usb sticks in 2:1 resolution to show clients the state of work on their machines Wink

• Tue, Sep 23 2008 1:34 AM In reply to

• esavedge
    • Not Ranked
    • Richmond VA
    • Posts 54
    • Points 550

I've had good luck with external USB2 drives if the show is not effects heavy or is only 3 or 4 layers.  usually DV, HDV or dnx110 or 1 to 1. Anything anything requiring more hp I go to the internal drives. No problem capturing to an external USB Drive on my Laptop.

Ed Savedge

HP xw8200, dual 3.4g, 4g ram, fx1400 video card, audigy sound, sata 160 boot drive, MC 3.0, external usb 160 and 500 hd, internal sata 250, 250,160 media... [view my complete system specs]

Ed Savedge

Savedge Art & Technology LLC

Two Inch tape will be back any day now! Well maybe not.....

• Tue, Sep 23 2008 2:29 AM In reply to

• B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

Laptopeditor:
    Our wireless mouse receiver is plugged into our USB 2.0 interface on the base station, and this device slows things down abit.

What usually happens is that the presence of a USB 1.1 device (such as a mouse, keyboard, etc.) will switch the entire bus from 480 Mbps USB 2.0 to 12 Mbps USB1.1...

But what's a 97.5% slowdown among friends. Hmm

If you have to hook up both a hard drive and a mouse, use a USB 2.0 hub with full isolation, so that the connection speed is only throttled down on the hub jack connected to the mouse, and the drive still gets the 480 Mbps connection it wants/needs.

It is often difficult to find out if a particular hub has isolation. I got an excellent CablesToGo powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub from Newegg, outstanding design, pricey at $32 but worth it.

I still avoid USB hard drives because the interface soaks up so much CPU compared to FW or eSATA.

Media Composer 3.0, HP xw8600 w/Quadro 3700, Mac Pro 8-core 10GB, MacBook Pro OS X 10.4, AJA IO, DL Extreme HD&SD, 4TB RAID, FCS2, Adobe Master Collection... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 3:39 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

B.J. Ahlen:
    I still avoid USB hard drives because the interface soaks up so much CPU compared to FW or eSATA.

And as far as I'm concerned that's the real bottom line.  When you add to that the buss-hogging issues that can all too easily occur with USB, I think it comes down to a resounding "don't do it"!

luca.mg:
    English is not my first language, as You all can tell (right under my nickname there's a line reading Roma - Italy [my english is better than Your italian anyway!]).

Luca, your english is better than a lot of native-born english speakers that I know!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 8:38 AM In reply to

• Phil Lowe
    • Not Ranked
    • SE Michigan
    • Posts 100
    • Points 1,335

Yes.  I cut an entire 1/2 hour special in DVCPro HD on a 1TB Western Digital and it plays back perfectly.  I downconverted that 1/2 hour master to letterboxed DV 50 for final output to SX tape for broadcast.

The drive was never an issue.  Keep in mind, the 1TB drive is composed of 2x500 GB drives striped together, which does aid in performance.

Having said that, Avid does not support external USB storage, so if you decide to go this route, you're on your own if it doesn't work.

Self-built system: Intel SE7505VB2 mobo 2 x 2.8 GHz Xeon processors, HT disabled. 2 GB RAM 1.25 TB media storage on two internal RAIDS ADS Pyro... [view my complete system specs]
    This space for rent.
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 12:21 PM In reply to

• bee gee
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 545
    • Points 6,530

luca.mg:

As for contributing, this is for the long time Avid addicts users

That is a winner - retro external sata drive enclosures. To the patents office!!

mc v7, isis unity, symphony, flame/smoke/lustre [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller