Latest post Wed, Sep 10 2008 12:26 AM by BLKDOG. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 7 2008 8:30 PM

• catwoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,860

Final Cut footage into MC3

I am trying to import DV (16:9) footage captured with FCP into MC3 (Windows XP Pro). When playing the files with QT 7.3 I can see and hear the video but the picture is quite fuzzy and I see interlacing artifacts. The Movie inspector says that a DV-PAL codec was used, but it has 24.93 fps and 30.30 mbits/sec, which is NTSC. If I import it into Avid the picture looks fuzzy, too. Is there anyway I can sort out the quality? On the Mac it looked beautiful. I guess the DVCPRO NTSC codec, which is used by FCP, is already installed on my PC, otherwise QT could not show the file. Why then the bad picture quality?

• Sun, Sep 7 2008 8:45 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Final Cut footage into MC3

If the movie plays back looking that way in QT Player then, more than likely, the file was output that way. 

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sun, Sep 7 2008 8:50 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

How does it look when imported into MC? QuickTime has a "high quality" flag that is off by default with most DV files. This doesn't affect the import into Avid. It sounds to me like the flag is not enabled. Not sure where to change that on the PC, but on a Mac in QT Player, it's cmd-J and then look under visual settings, I believe.

- Oliver

• Sun, Sep 7 2008 8:53 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

Oops, I reread the post and see that you already said it looks bad in MC.

- Oliver

• Tue, Sep 9 2008 2:08 PM In reply to

catwoman:

When playing the files with QT 7.3 ....

It is hardly recommended to use Quicktime 7.4.5 with MC3. I occurred myself some problems within MC3 using other Quicktime versions (like failed MP3 import)

pixel

iMac Mid 2016 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / 32 GB RAM / MCA 2019.12 / MojoDX / Adobe CC 2018 / MBPro Mid 2015 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / 16 GB RAM / MC 2019.12... [view my complete system specs]

What is editing? It´s the process of transforming a collection of badly focussed or horribly framed shots containing reversed screen directions, flare and dirt into a smooth visual statement of the script... ... for which the director takes the credit!

• Tue, Sep 9 2008 2:23 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

That is true for the ingest into MC..doesn't explain why the QTs play back poorly in the QT player though. 

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Sep 9 2008 4:59 PM In reply to

• B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

You see interlacing artifacts on what?  On a CRT or interlaced LCD pro monitor (the latter is pretty rare)? Or on a regular LCD that is by definition progressive?

"24.93 fps" would be PAL, not NTSC.

If the picture looks fuzzy, the first thing to suspect is that there is some scaling going on.

If you import PAL footage into an NTSC timeline, you get scaling. The resolution is different and the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) is different.

Or it could have been done in FCP by someone "just trying to help."

Media Composer 3.0, HP xw8600 w/Quadro 3700, Mac Pro 8-core 10GB, MacBook Pro OS X 10.4, AJA IO, DL Extreme HD&SD, 4TB RAID, FCS2, Adobe Master Collection... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 9 2008 11:52 PM In reply to

• catwoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,860

Thanks for all the responses. It has been captured in Final Cut (DV PAL project), and I literally took the capture scratch qt files and imported into Avid.

I am watching the footage (in QT and Avid) on an LCD - DELL 2408WFP. Apart from the interlaced artefacts I also see compression artefacts, even though the PAR and the resolution have not been changed.

In terms of QT I don't understand: I thought MC3 is compatible with QT 7.3?

• Wed, Sep 10 2008 12:26 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Nope, you need to be running 7.4.5.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller