Latest post Sun, Sep 7 2008 12:32 AM by Larry Rubin. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 4 2008 1:34 AM

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 9 2008
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Know how to use Media Mover 3.1?

Hi,

Hoping to find a resolution to a problem here. I just recently purchases Media Mover 3.1 to organize all my footage spread out between 3 hard drives.

To explain my intent:

1. I have 40 hours of footage divided between 3 hard drives.

2. Need to move all the footage into 1 larger hard drive using Media Mover.

3. Then continue working directly off of the new hard drive in Avid Media Composer 3.0, compile all the seperated projects (which contains the total of all 40 hours of footage) into 1 large project.

I have done the first steps by backing up the footage onto the new hard drive, but then how do I get that footage to start working in Avid? The tutorial says you turn that offline footage back online using Media Mover.

I have done:

A. Selected the source drive

B. Find & Analyze Media Folders and Files

C. In the Online Media tab, select all the files, and move offline.

D. Then click Backup Media

Now, how do I get the project on the hard drive to work in Avid? It says to turn it back online, but the Media Mover cannot find any media files on the new hard drive. So I have nothing selected to work with.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated, I'm on a time crunch too, so this would help me much better by having all the footage in one entire project to work off of.

Media Composer 3.1.1, MacBook Pro, 4gig RAM, OSX Leapord 10.5.7 [view my complete system specs]

- Kevin

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 1:37 AM In reply to

Re: Know how to use Media Mover 3.1?

After moving your media to different drives, have you rebuilt the Media Database files?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 1:49 AM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

How would I do that on a Mac?

Media Composer 3.1.1, MacBook Pro, 4gig RAM, OSX Leapord 10.5.7 [view my complete system specs]

- Kevin

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 1:56 AM In reply to

Quit the application. For MXF media, go into each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder and delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database". For OMFI Media, go into the OMFI MediaFiles folder and delete the same two files. On re-launch the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage - you will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode. Whenever you move media to other drives and projects to other platforms, you must always rebuild the media database files, so the system knows where the new locations are.

And some ground rules regarding moving media:

1)  The Avid MediaFiles folder and the OMFI MediaFiles folder MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not be able to find the media.

2)  NEVER rename the folders. They must always be their factory defualt names, as indicated above, or the system will not be able to find the media.

3) There can be only one of each type of media folder on any given media drive.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 2:03 AM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Thank You very much Larry, I'm going to give it a try.

- Kevin

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 2:27 AM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

I see how the Avid has built two new MSM files. But how do I get my media files to work directly from my new drive? I can only see the footage working from my computer's internal hd, not from the hard drive I just backed up the exact same footage to using Media Mover.

Can I create a new project, and import the footage/audio/media files?

Sorry, just started to learn avid, and with my first larger project, i just seemed to scatter the master footage and projects all over the place, so I hoped that Media Mover might solve the problem. Which makes pulling footage from one project to another a hassle considering that there are too many bulky hard drives involved instead of one.

- Kevin

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 2:32 AM In reply to

Easy. Use the relink function and target the specific drive you want it to relink to.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 2:44 AM In reply to

kta:
    i just seemed to scatter the master footage and projects all over the place, so I hoped that Media Mover might solve the problem. Which makes pulling footage from one project to another a hassle considering that there are too many bulky hard drives involved instead of one.

Unless you really need to move projects around to different platforms, there's a much easier way for you to share media or clone media from any project into any project.

1) Use the "open bins" command to navigate to any bin in any other project. But keep in mind that when you "borrow" footage this way into Project B from Project A, at the point in time when Project A gets deleted, the borrowed media in project B will be offline as well. You can avoid this by...

2) Using the consolidate function. This allows you to clone a discreetly new set of both pointer and associated media files into Project B that will NOT go offline when Project A gets deleted.

It is by definition that Avid creates media files that are fragmented streams of media which it then scatters across a drive, partition, or RAID drive array. It does this for accurate storage, retrieval, cueing and seamless playback of these bits and pieces in realtime. This is the reason that you should NEVER DE-FRAG YOUR MEDIA DRIVES!  They are meant to run in a fragmented mode.

If you do episodic television, and I do a lot of it, I have found the best workflow is to create a Common Elements project containing shared footage, music, titles, effects, master templates, etc. Then use the open bins command to access these elements in any given show project. Then, as show projects are deleted, the Common Elements always remain online.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Sep 6 2008 6:54 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Thanks Larry, unfortunately I'm still having issues. I backed up all my media MXF files to the new hard drive. Good thing too, because I think the old hard drive is on it's way to blowing up and being trashed.

So now, I almost have no choice but to surely use the new drive. All my media files are under the "Avid MediaFIles" folder at the root level of the media drive like you mentioned before.

In that folder resides all my backed up projects (project a, b, c, etc.) They are different from the originals becasue they do not contain Bin Files, AVB Files, Statistics Folders, AVS Files, etc.  -- The backed up projects only contain strictly MXF files (my master footage, sequences, subclibs, and all).

Now what I tried doing was to open my Avid, and import those files into a new project, but a warning says "You cannot import this file into a bin. See the documentation for information about transferring media files". I cannot find any documentation on how to transfer all these MXF files into my new project.

Do you or anyone have any solutions? I'm in a huge rush to get this project done by the middle of next week. Thank You!

- Kevin

• Sat, Sep 6 2008 7:05 PM In reply to

kta:

All my media files are under the "Avid MediaFIles" folder at the root level of the media drive like you mentioned before.

In that folder resides all my backed up projects (project a, b, c, etc.) They are different from the originals because they do not contain Bin Files, AVB Files, Statistics Folders, AVS Files, etc.  -- The backed up projects only contain strictly MXF files (my master footage, sequences, subclibs, and all).

OK, first of all, the project folders that contain the bins, clips, sequences, and other pointer files should not be located on your media drive. They belong in the "Avid Projects" folder on your C: drive. Those project folders MUST contain the bin files, statistics, avs, etc. If you are saying that you have project folders but they are empty of content, you'll need to restore that content from the attic files. The Avid MediaFiles folder and OMFI, if present, should be the only things on the media drive. Suggest you relocate the necessary folders to the factory default path and try again. You will need to rebuild databases again. However, if you don't have any any back ups, attic or otherwise, you can open the media tool inside a new project, displaying the media files in question and drag those media files into a local bin in that new project. A new set of pointer clip files should be created.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Sep 6 2008 11:14 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Okay, that's awesome, my files are now where they should have been for months! They were scattered between 4 different drives, and my C:Drive. But now, I put them under the Shared project category, instead of Private, or what I used to use as External. 

I understand that project files must reside in the C:Drive, and media files can be on an external drive. For the current projects I have, I must keep the external drives with the master footage plugged in.That's no problem.

But now, I created a new project in the C: Drive, and I want all the media in my E:Drive to correlate to that project, everything in the E:Drive are all media files pertaining to previous projects (w/o bin, setting, or project files inside of it)

Essentially, I would like to start this project from scratch, but instead of capturing more media/footage, I want to use all the old master footage I already have backed up on my hard drive (MXF files).How do I get to this point? I cannot drag and drop import, nor can I select a file without a pop up telling me to abort.

- Kevin

• Sun, Sep 7 2008 12:11 AM In reply to

• Sun, Sep 7 2008 12:32 AM In reply to

And mine in that same thread.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller