Latest post Thu, Sep 4 2008 12:20 AM by jwrl. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 3 2008 10:37 AM

• weekender
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 4 2007
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 56
    • Points 965

Still confused on good HDV workflow for a big project!!

I've read so many posts and am still having a hard time with what workflow I should set up for my project. I have about 60 hours of HDV 1080i video that I need to chop up to form a 1 hour pilot that I will pitch to broadcasters. Some Avid members have said they'd:

"Capture in HDV, then transcode to DNxHD and work with that"

(but that will take up an incredible large amount of Harddrive space wouldn't it??)

Another said "capture downconverted to DV into a 1080i project switched to 30iNTSC; edit; switch to HDV and recapture tapes in HDV, then relink"

(how do I capture downconverted? And is this not a terribly complicated process that could lead me into problems or is it popular way of doing this?)

Please tell me what you think would be the best workflow. And don't be afraid to use detail in how to set it all up ... I'm dying to get this project moving but would love to figure this out first before I dive too deep.

Thanks!

Windows 7 Avid Media Composer 5 Quicktime 7 Intel core i7 2600k quad core cpu 3.4GHz 8 GB Ram NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti Hawk 1GB video card Hitachi Deskstar... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 3 2008 11:50 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

Re: Still confused on good HDV workflow for a big project!!

one question comes to my mind.. are you still on version 5.5.3 as your profile states?

Menno

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Wed, Sep 3 2008 5:07 PM In reply to

DnxHD is how you can SAVE drive space compared to native HDV which takes up more drive space. The issues, from where I sit seem to be these:

1) Are you going to be able to handle all the technical ins and outs of getting your project into DnxHD or any other non-native format, editing there, then getting it back out into a format you can show the network. For a failry experienced editor this stuff is easy but there are (dont believe otherwise) always a lot of little things you need to fiddle with to get this right and in my experience, i get an ulcer. For this reason, I edit native HD... but others call me crazy

2) Do you have more than at least 1TB and is on a fast drive system? If you are going to dump a lot of footage into a FW400 drive with just a few GB and hope for the best? If you dont have much drive space and you have FW400 drives, you should definitely avoid native HDV as it will never run smoothly.

3) Is your system a newer one with good ram and processing and latest version of avid? If not, expect the machine to have trouble editing native HDV.

From what I can see? You defintely DO need to downconvert. So the question is to what... I recommend DNxHD since you will be closer in general to HDV than if you edit DV which is a whole different format.

as for the actual workflow, someone else can clarify where in the process the conversion take place

My 2 cents.

HP z840, with dual E5-2634 v4 Xeon processors at 2.2ghz (10 cores each). 32GB ram. NVIDIA m4000 video card. EVO SAN with 96tb and raid 5 over Cat6. Artist... [view my complete system specs]

I think we need a few more digital HD formats

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 12:20 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,393
    • Points 97,070

weekender:
    Some Avid members have said they'd:

"Capture in HDV, then transcode to DNxHD and work with that"

(but that will take up an incredible large amount of Harddrive space wouldn't it??)

Yes it will.  HDV takes roughly the same space as DV.  Depending on the DNxHD codec used you could take up to 8 times the space for your transcoded media.  The reason that other users suggest a transcode first is to lighten the load on the CPU, thus speeding up the responsiveness of the system.  Directly editing with long GOP formats typically will reduce the number of real time effects that you can use.  It can also make the system feel sluggish.

weekender:
    Another said "capture downconverted to DV into a 1080i project switched to 30iNTSC; edit; switch to HDV and recapture tapes in HDV, then relink"

This is known as proxy editing - you're using not your original media but lower res proxies of that media.  Depending on your deck or camera you may be able to convert to DV on-the-fly in your playback source and directly capture that way.  This will take pretty much the same space as your HDV originals, but it is not as CPU intensive.

This also has had problems in the past with some decks allowing you to capture DV but not HDV via firewire.  If you want to go this path check the workflow before you commit too heavily.  Digitise a small section at DV, cut it, delete your media and recapture at HDV.  If it works you should be able to do that for the full project.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller