Latest post Tue, Sep 9 2008 5:12 PM by B.J. Ahlen. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 31 2008 8:25 AM

Building editing computer for use with Media Composer - Need help with Hard Drive configuration

Hello,

I'm currently building an editing computer, and am trying to figure out how to configure my various hard drives for use with Media Composer. I have two configurations in mind, and need help in deciding which one is better.

What's the better scenario?

6 x 7200 RPM 500 GB Hard Drives in RAID 5 configuration

vs.

2 x 7200 RPM 250GB Hard Drives in RAID 0 (OS)
    2 x 7200 RPM 500 GB Hard Drives in RAID 0 (Scratch)
    3 x 7200 RPM 500 GB Hard Drives in RAID 5 (Media)

What's the better configuration? I'll be using AVID Media Composer to edit.

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

• Sun, Aug 31 2008 12:54 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

Re: Building editing computer for use with Media Composer - Need help with Hard Drive configuration

And the answer is... none of the above!  Firstly, one large RAID 5 array is a poor decision.  You must must MUST have your OS/launch drive physically separate to your media drive(s).

There won't be any significant gain in having your boot drive striped.  If you really feel that you must RAID it (and it may cause problems with your Windows install), use RAID 1 instead.  Mirroring your boot drive will give a greater level of security for your project data.  For the average Avid configuration 250 GB should be more than adequate.  Until very recently my boot drive was 80 GB and it never even got half full.

If your controller will support it, configure your 500 GB drives as a single RAID 5 array.  Partition that as your media and scratch drives, although I'm a little surprised at the amount of scratch space you feel that you'll require.  Avid won't need or use it, so I can only assume that you plan on using something like After Effects and/or Photoshop to create media and you want to store it there.  Possibly you want to buffer disc-based media there.  It still seems like a lot of space.

So my variant on option 2 would be

2 x 7200 RPM 250GB Hard Drives in RAID 1 (OS/applications/project storage)
    5 x 7200 RPM 500 GB Hard Drives in RAID 5, partitioned two ways

I would use the two partitions on the RAID 5 array for media storage.  If you plan on doing large HD projects you may very well need more than the just under 2 TB that this will provide.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 31 2008 8:27 PM In reply to

Re: Building editing computer for use with Media Composer - Need help with Hard Drive configuration

• Sun, Aug 31 2008 8:46 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,665
    • Points 19,920

By my own experience with a Windows 2003 server. Do not use software Raid on Your boot drive. You will be able to salvage Your data but it takes time. It take me a week to reinstall the first drive which failed. I could not boot the computer and there was lots of other problems before I fix it.

Boot drive raids must use an external raid card which make both mirrored drives exactly the same. The software raid do not put the boot section on both.

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 31 2008 9:05 PM In reply to

I see the consensus is to not RAID the OS drive. But wouldn't that make a bottleneck if my media and scratch drives are running faster? Would I need to get a faster harddrive, like 10000 rpms, to compete with the speed of the other Raided drives?

Thanks again for all your input.

• Sun, Aug 31 2008 10:40 PM In reply to

The OS and apps do not really benefit from a super fast drive.  They can do what they need to do with a single drive.  I'd probably always use a 7200rpm, but that's just me.  The fast RAIDed media drives don't "compete" with the boot/system drive.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Aug 31 2008 11:38 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

I still don't understand your need for a "scratch" drive or drives.  What are you intending to put there?  It may not be necessary to raid that either.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 2 2008 7:45 AM In reply to

• newyankee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 16 2007
    • Palo Alto, Ca
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,660

As ususal I agree with Jwrl. I might add that drives like the seagate 7200.10 class use 160 Gig platters, so I typically use 160 gig single platter OS drives (cooler and quiter). If you want more space, go for 320 gig. Also I would skip raid for the OS, and keep an image of the drive somewhere.

Asus P9x79Pro MB, Intel I7 3930K overclocked to 4GHz, Quadro FX3800, MC 8.3.1 /Symphony, Raid 0 / 3ware controller, Win 7 Pro 64, 32 Gig Ram, Matrox MX02... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 2 2008 8:10 AM In reply to

• Rinze Schuurman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,505

I'm very comfy with my setup, which consists of OS and Avid on a raid 1 setup the motherboard provides, and the media drives on a hardware raid card in raid 5. As the actions of the OS and the MC software involves transferring a lot of small files from and to the ram of your computer, accesstime is the most important number to look at if you want it to be fast. And accesstime doesn't differ a lot between raided and unraided drives. The lowest accesstimes are found on SSD drives with the WD raptors on second place. I'm waiting a year or so till prices for such devices come down a bit and the technique of SSD is developed a little more. (I would prefer ssd over wd raptor, due to their high speed raptors are too noisy for my taste)

4 avid systems on x58 and x79 platforms with 18 TB internal mediadrive in raid 5 each and 300 GB ssd OS drive, Nvidia GTX 580 to Nvidia GTX Titan video... [view my complete system specs]

"Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user"

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 4:47 PM In reply to

• SysMangler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 18 2008
    • Oklahoma
    • Posts 36
    • Points 475

rinzeschuurman:

(I would prefer ssd over wd raptor, due to their high speed raptors are too noisy for my taste)

Brief note - the new "Velocraptors" (300G, 10K, 2.5") are much quieter than their previous brethren.  Have two in an XW4600 and don't hear them at all at idle - CPU and system fans make more noise, even at low speed.  Some slight clicking is audible during seek, but still nothing like their older brethren.

MC3.0, XW4600, C2Q9650, 4GB DDR800, FX1700, 160G 7200 SATA (boot) + 2x300G 10K SATA (media), Pyro1394 PCI Express (API-316). Runs fine under XPPro/32,... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Sep 8 2008 7:33 AM In reply to

• Rinze Schuurman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,505

Thanks for the info sysmangler, good to know

4 avid systems on x58 and x79 platforms with 18 TB internal mediadrive in raid 5 each and 300 GB ssd OS drive, Nvidia GTX 580 to Nvidia GTX Titan video... [view my complete system specs]

"Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user"

• Tue, Sep 9 2008 5:12 PM In reply to

• B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

The new Velociraptors are the best but most expensive. You can get a similar boot drive experience with a "WD6400AKS" WD 640 GB 2-platter drive. The latter is $85.00 at Newegg and consistently delivers about 100 MB/sec read and write with one drive, no RAID.

My machine became about twice as fast when I imaged my 7200.11 320GB drive to this new 2-platter drive.

(2-platter drives have much higher bit density, so the data comes off faster.)

Media Composer 3.0, HP xw8600 w/Quadro 3700, Mac Pro 8-core 10GB, MacBook Pro OS X 10.4, AJA IO, DL Extreme HD&SD, 4TB RAID, FCS2, Adobe Master Collection... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller