Latest post Wed, Mar 17 2010 4:52 PM by DaveS. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 18 2008 7:06 PM

Media Composer 3.0- Exception: Failed to initialize audio hardware

I recently purchased an i Mac 24inch and I installed media composer academic version 3.0 on it so after launching the mc it gives me this error that says Exception: Failed to initialize audio hardware,

Im not using any external hardware or mixer or mojo or anything, please I need help cause I just started using mac and I have no idea..

Thank you very much

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Aug 18 2008 7:09 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Media Composer 3.0- Exception: Failed to initialize audio hardware

This has come up a few times in recent weeks. Haven't seen a solution yet though.

Do you have anything else attached to the that CPU except storage?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Aug 18 2008 10:31 PM In reply to

I have a midi controler that I use with Logic, and a printer that's all. Do you think it could be the controler?

Thanks for your help

• Mon, Aug 18 2008 10:57 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Don't know but let's disconnect everything just as a test.

Then, go to library>audio>Midi Drivers and trash the digi drivers you find there (or just move them to the desktop)

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Aug 18 2008 11:42 PM In reply to

• BMoede
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but we've run into the audio initialization failure a few times with our Mojo system running on our MBPro laptop.  We've found that if you have the audio muted on your computer, MC will fail to initialize.  If you turn the audio up even one notch, the program fires up.  Don't know if this will solve your problem, but it's easy to try.  Got my fingers crossed for you.

All the best...Bill

• Mon, Aug 18 2008 11:46 PM In reply to

I will try this most def... thank you

• Mon, Aug 18 2008 11:47 PM In reply to

I will try it thanks so much!!

• Tue, Aug 19 2008 3:52 AM In reply to

Well I have tried everything and I still can't fix this problem any suggestions?

• Fri, Aug 22 2008 5:02 PM In reply to

Same problem here. I am convinced that core audio has changed in the new macs/ leopard. The headphone out (internal audio) and line out are now completely separate entities. When the Avid does work, audio only comes out of the headphones, not line out. Anyone have a clue? Any work around?

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 22 2008 5:08 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

I don't have that problem at all. I have audio coming out of both on my Dual 3.0. 

• Fri, Aug 22 2008 5:10 PM In reply to

• NeilStewart
    • Not Ranked
    • Warrington, UK
    • Posts 62
    • Points 770

Hi there - I had this problem recently with Soundflower installed - I had to change the Mac's sound INPUT in System Prefs to the normal input, nothing else - and then it worked!

iMac Retina 5K 2019, 32GB RAM, 3.6GHz 8-core i9, Radeon Pro 580X 8GB Promise Pegasus 2 R6 RAID 5 15TB Blackmagic Ultrastudio HD Mini SDI to Sony Monitor... [view my complete system specs]

Old editors never die, they merely fade to black.

• Fri, Aug 22 2008 5:24 PM In reply to

Well part 1 of the solution was to use Audio Midi setup to change the default settings. But the real problem

Exception: Failed to initialize audio hardware

remains. Happens ~50% of the time. Yes professionals deal with it and just relaunch. Students and faculty just want Final Cut Pro

Are you running MC without any Avid hardware connected? Using 10.5.4/ 10.5.3? Do you have a DV deck or DV Decoder connected?

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 22 2008 5:26 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Brain, try this...

Go to Library>audio and remove the Midi drivers from their folder.

Does that make any difference for you?

Yes I have DX connected and DV decks. 

• Fri, Aug 22 2008 6:44 PM In reply to

Deleting those files greatly reduces the occurance of the problem from a fresh boot but doesn't eliminate it. If I relaunch the Avid, the error will still occur about 50% of the time. (Yes, not a big deal for  a professional but ....)

I believe if you have Avid hardware connected the error won't occur as often, or at all, since the Avid hardware is the default device to be initiated for audio output. Does the error occur for you if the DX Box is disconnected?

• Sat, Nov 22 2008 9:13 PM In reply to

• hbrod
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Posts 7
    • Points 100

I have just iinstalled an academic version of AMC 3.0 on a MacPro.  This is a 3 GHz machine using dual quad core processors with 4 GB RAM and running Leopard 10.5.5.  I have only installed the software version of Media Composer.  There are no mojos or other proprietary Avid I/O devices on this computer.  The only audio device I have is the built in audio on this computer:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Headphone:

Line In:

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Optical

S/P-DIF In:

Connection: Optical

I have the preferences set to built-in line output.  I don't have any files in the Midi folder under the Library/Audio directory.
    I am simply unable to initialize the AMC that I just installed.  I also have FCP installed on this computer: no problems.
    I have written to Avid support about this and their response so far has been to offer solutions on problems that have nothing whatsoever to do with this problem or to the error message, Exception: Failed to initialize audio hardware.
    Avid does tell me that I can purchase a support contract if I don't find their response satisfactory.
    I have looked at this thread and I haven't found any solutions posted, yet I see quite a number of people encountering this problem.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller