Latest post Fri, Aug 8 2008 1:40 AM by avidmedic. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 1 2008 8:03 PM

• eclectic Rhody
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 30 2006
    • Westerly, RI USA
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Kudos to Avid Tech Support - They Do it RIGHT!

I recently experienced outstanding treatment from Avid Tech Support to resolve a problem with my Media Composer 3.0 upgrade. The MC 3.0 installer kept generating a fatal error message. After extensive (and patient) help from Tech Support by phone, I received a security patch allowing Media Composer 3.0 to install. The process took most of a day and throughout the process the Tech Support folks were polite, competent, and professional. Unfortunately, the installed MC 3.0 on my system froze during playback and I could not capture from my VTR. The Tech Support folks promoted the problem to the next wizard  level.

On a new day (a Friday),  a new team of wizards worked with me to troubleshoot the problem via phone and remote access. They strongly suspected the problem was related to an audio issue because they discovered that playback worked if I disabled audio monitoring. After patiently working with me most of the day, the time was now past their end of day. Instead of handing me off to another team or having me wait until another day, the team continued to work with me for an additional TWO hours. They were determined to resolve my problem and never complained about working well beyond their end time on a FRIDAY NIGHT.

They finally found that my machine’s BIOS was set to disable the on-board motherboard audio, a critical component that Media Composer 3.0 now requires. My machine worked fine and we tested  both VTR and Mojo analog units to verify that I could capture and playback successfully. My MC 3.0 system was working properly.

I cannot tell how impressed I am by the professionalism, competence, dedication, compassion, and kindness shown to me during this very frustrating experience. Avid is fortunate to be represented by Christine Robichaud, Joe Flahive, Kate Ketcham, and Jeff Ayer. I have dealt with technical support with a number of other companies, but none have matched the level shown to me by the Technical Support team at Avid.

All too often, we bash Avid when they trip up – deservedly so. In my case, I think Avid deserves proper credit for doing their job well and going beyond the normal call of duty.

Chris Sweitzer

Wildwood Studios

Hardware: HP xw 8200 workstation with dual xeon 3.20 GHz CPUs, 2.0 GB RAM, 160 GB + 500 GB internal SATA disks + Avid Mojo analog + Sony HVR-M15U HDV VTR... [view my complete system specs]

Chris Sweitzer Wildwood Studios

• Fri, Aug 1 2008 9:41 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Kudos to Avid Tech Support - They Do it RIGHT!

Thanks for the kind words Rhodey. I've passed them up the line to the folks that helped you.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sat, Aug 2 2008 3:28 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

I too have been happy with my few interfaces with Avid tech support over the
    last few
    years. (Go Samantha!)

I do believe the Assurance pricing is too high though. The upper level of
    support should
    be part of why you are paying more for the system than FCP.

Only if you have hardware out of warranty should you have to pay for repairs,
    the tech
    support should be free.

(Unless this means outsourcing to India like Dell!!) :-(

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Sat, Aug 2 2008 4:00 PM In reply to

• avidmedic
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2006
    • Atlanta, ga
    • Posts 58
    • Points 650
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

I have bought Final cut Pro support for clients, and it costs $799.00 .  Clost to the cost of the software.  And the fingerpointing begins at the beginning of the conversation.

With Avid, you have an integrated solution, and they know the variables.  Which is why they specify exactly what is supported.  You should buy what they know works, when it doesn't, then can de-consruct the scenario properly.  And they have one there.  An integrated solution with the right parts, and diligent techs.  It's what Avid does best.

Cheaper may be better to some, but a protected investment is priceless.

Saving $300, $1000, or $10,000 is something everyone has to consider.  But consider how much it would cost you to lose a client or a project.

Avid has had competition since their first product.  Systems have been more complicate, less complicated.  Cheaper, more expensive and each of them had one option that avid didn't seem to have.  They often required specific knowledge to operate and repair. The big question is: "do you want to be a software and hardware engineer, or an editor"  Avid frees you up to do your job.

Think of it like Henry Ford.  Cars were made custom for each individual.  One person knew how that vehicle worked, and he had to fix it.  Henry Ford saw mass production and made thousands that were alike.  Then suddenly getting parts was easy.  Everyone knew how they worked and as long as you had access to the right parts, you can make a broken vehicle whole again.  Imagine building your own car today.  You would be an insane person.  You might save a few thousand dollars doing it yourself, but you would take your life in your hands every time you took it to 55.   Having an integrated, tested tried and true solution, with people that know how it should perform under all conditions gives guaranteed success.

Kudos support team, we appreciate you being there to answer the easy ones, and working diligently to figure out the hard ones.

You name it, I've seen it. [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Aug 3 2008 6:11 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

avidmedic:
    Imagine building your own car today.  You would be an insane person.  You might save a few thousand dollars doing it yourself,

Not exactly. It would cost far more to build the car from parts. I remembered this from my past and dug it up:

<<back in the 1970's one of the consumer groups did a study, and found that a 1976 Chevy Nova cost about $4000

But, to buy every single part and piece needed to build the car would cost around 
    $8500 to12000 from a parts store, and 
    $18,000 to 24,000, from the chevy dealer>>

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Sun, Aug 3 2008 9:36 AM In reply to

It all comes down to my favorite production saying:

"Good, Fast, Cheap.  Pick Two"

I'd rather have Good and Fast support.  when it comes down to it, my time is money.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Fri, Aug 8 2008 1:40 AM In reply to

• avidmedic
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2006
    • Atlanta, ga
    • Posts 58
    • Points 650
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Clearly you have done more research than I have.  My favorite thing is lifelong warranties.  Like brakes for life for $15.  But you have to keep the receipt.

You name it, I've seen it. [view my complete system specs]

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller