Latest post Mon, Aug 4 2008 5:54 AM by hbrock. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 21 2008 4:47 AM

Issue with Playback

Before I get started, here are my version specs: Avid Xpress Pro v.5.7.7 Mac OS X 10.4.10 I have the academic version. And here is some info that may help: I just captured a rather large amnout of video onto my computer's hard drive with the plan to move it over to my external hard drive. A 4.6 GB mxf file would not move over due to error code 1309, which I realize means I need to reformat my external. The issue: I can't playback the video. As I speed through the window, I can see all the video, but it won't playback. The audio will playback, but not the video. And the needle (whatever its called) does not move either. Is this because the raw video file needs to be on my hard drive? Therefore, the issue would be to reformat my external. Or is there another issue at work here? Everything else works fine. Like I said, the video is there. It just won't playback. I tried it in the timeline and seperate windows. No dice. An answer ASAP would be greatly apperciated. Thanks.
  • Mon, Jul 21 2008 9:18 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Issue with Playback

It really depends on what's different from things were working correctly.  We don't know what your system specs are so everything will be speculative.  If the disk was the problem you'd be getting Video Under Run errors but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Generally freezing video is caused by not having a Graphics card with enough VRAM for the version of Avid that you are using.  From version 5.5 on you need at least 128 MB of VRAM and a card that supports Core Image and Quartz Extreme.  You can check that in your Apple System Profiler and let us know what you've got so we can help you further.  

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Jul 21 2008 4:44 PM In reply to

I've used Avid for over a year now and I have not had this problem before. My VRAM is 128 MB and chipset model is ATY,RadeonX1600. My LCD supports both Core Image and Quartz Extreme. Thanks.

• Tue, Jul 22 2008 6:55 AM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Diego, CA
    • Posts 226
    • Points 2,745

Has Quicktime or anything else been recently updated?
    Mid 2014 Retina MBP 2.5 i7 w16 GB RAM. Running MC Symphony 2018 with PhraseFind! High Sierra 10.13.6. OWC Thunderbolt dock, 2xSSD Akitio Thunderbolt enclosure... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 4 2008 3:24 AM In reply to

• indianiec
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 4 2008
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Hello, I have similar issue, but with version 5.8. The difference is: I don't have any warnings nor errors notifications, and the needle moves normally. I use Mac OS X 10.4.10, so the system should be compatible. The footage is DV. The only way I can see the video in real time is through monitor, connected to the deck. It is very frustrating, I just got this Avid version today. I was using exactly the same setup (external drives and deck) with previous Avid versions ( Avid Express DV), and I never experienced such problems.
  • Mon, Aug 4 2008 5:54 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Did you uninstall Express DV before installing Xpress Pro?  If not, uninstall both from their respective installers and then reinstall Xpress Pro.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller