Latest post Tue, Jul 22 2008 6:02 PM by Carlos Sardá. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 20 2008 1:25 AM

• MalachiX
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 3 2008
    • Shreveport LA
    • Posts 61
    • Points 1,030

Will 1066 mhz RAM make a big difference over 800?

I'm putting together a new system.  I'm gong with the following:

-EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i MOBO

-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GH

-XFX GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) XXX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

-XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

-Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP1 64-bit English 1pk for System Builders DSP OEI DVD - OEM

-Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100

-Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I wanna stick a full 8 gigs of RAM in there and it's cheaper to go with some 800 RAM over 1066.  Does it really make that big a difference in performance?  For that matter, can I have some opinions on the following brands of RAM:  KINGSTON, PATRIOT, G-S.Kill  (I don't want to go with Corsair because I've had issues with them in the past). 

For that matter, how to the specs look thus far for MC 3.0?

MC 3.0 | Asus P5Q-E Mobo | Intel Core2Quad Q9450 | GeForce 9800GTX | 8 Gigs RAM | Windows Vista (64-bit) Business Edition | 1 TB Seagate HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 20 2008 4:27 AM In reply to

Re: Will 1066 mhz RAM make a big difference over 800?

Does it really make that big a difference in performance?

.- No

For that matter, how to the specs look thus far for MC 3.0?

,- No Intel chipset, nor a supported video card...

...Those specs doesn't look very promising.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Sun, Jul 20 2008 9:09 AM In reply to

• MalachiX
    • Not Ranked
    • Shreveport LA
    • Posts 61
    • Points 1,030

I'm using the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 Ghz, from the same line of processor's that I've seen many on these boards using and running MC3.0 fine.  On the requirments page, it says Intel Core 2 Dou 2.33 Ghz or higher so I don't see the problem.  Are you refering to the motherboard?  Motherboards aren't mentioned on the requirments page nore have I heard them mentioned in any discussions here (I've actually spent a lot of agonizing over which to go with since I know so little an this one came highly recommended).  Are you saying it's required to not just have the proper processor but also an intel MOBO as well

As for the video card, yes I'm not going with a Quadro because they're pricy and limitng.  I did my research before hand however and found countless cases of people getting GeForce cards to work fine with MC3.0 simply doing some minor tuning with other he nVidia control panel or Rivia Tuner.  I wouldn't have decided to go with a GeForce if I hadn't seen so many people who successfully managed to get them to play nice with Avid.

MC 3.0 | Asus P5Q-E Mobo | Intel Core2Quad Q9450 | GeForce 9800GTX | 8 Gigs RAM | Windows Vista (64-bit) Business Edition | 1 TB Seagate HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 20 2008 1:49 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

MalachiX:
    I wanna stick a full 8 gigs of RAM in there and it's cheaper to go with some 800 RAM over 1066.

If you mix 800 and 1066 all memory will be addressed at the slower speed anyway.  Also with DDR2 memory you must keep the memory pairs balanced.

By this I mean if you have Kingston 800 in slot 1a you should also have Kingston 800 in slot 1b.  Different manufacturer's memory cards, even if they appear to be the same, will have different electrical characteristics.  This usually means that memory access either slows or becomes unreliable.

Don't mix memory because you can get some cheaper.  You'll end up with a flaky system.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 20 2008 7:29 PM In reply to

Are you refering to the motherboard?

.- Of course, the chipset is the foundation of the motherboard.

Motherboards aren't mentioned on the requirments page

.- First of all, there is no mention of any motherboard because NO custom computers are supported or approved by Avid, none of them, with or without Intel chipsets.

When we make custom computers, we are gambling and experimenting on our own, we are taking a risk.

Why Intel?

Because every computer approved by Avid has an Intel chipset, that's why we DIY guys use them to mimimize the risk.

No Windows based Avid system has been ever approved on anything other than an Intel based system.

Second, is not the systems requirements what you have to look at, is the supported systems list.

Third, everybody knows how picky is Avid and also everybody knows that always, ALWAYS, since the first  PC based Avid ever, the chpsets of choice are from Intel, the Firewire card is from TI and the video cards are Quadros.

Maybe you can get lucky but I've never seen an Avid working without flaws on anything other than an Intel chipset based computer.

nor have I heard them mentioned in any discussions here

.- You have only 14 posts.

How long have you been here?

If you had been here long enough you should know about the Intel thing.

Did you search enough?

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jul 20 2008 7:58 PM In reply to

• macjaeger
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 16 2008
    • Coburg, Germany
    • Posts 241
    • Points 2,890

jwrl:
    Don't mix memory because you can get some cheaper.  You'll end up with a flaky system.

Quite right! And stability is even more valuable than having a fast system.

If you can't afford a matched set, go with the slower variant or start with 4gb and add more later. Having 8 gb will only help in the rare occasion of really complex editing, and especially then you will want to have a rock solid system. Slower memory won't limit you much, the other limiting factors like disc bandwidth and cpu / gpu speed are at least as important. If I had to decide between faster disks or faster memory, i'd go for the disks!

MC 3.0 (soft) on 2.4Ghz Intel Core2Quad, 4GB, Win7, 3 Screens hooked to Nvidia GTX260 & 9500GT, 1 TB striping RAID [view my complete system specs]

not a pro, just a teacher...

• Sun, Jul 20 2008 8:47 PM In reply to

• MalachiX
    • Not Ranked
    • Shreveport LA
    • Posts 61
    • Points 1,030

Thanks guys but I never intended to mix different types of RAM.  My debate was whether I should shell out $240 for 4 2 gig sticks of Patriot Viper 1066 RAM or go with a special New Egg bundle and pay $175 for 4 2 gig sticks of G.Skill 800 RAM.  I was curious if the extra speed of the Patriot RAM was worth the extra $65 and if G.Skill was a worth-while brand.

• Tue, Jul 22 2008 11:18 AM In reply to

• jemand84
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 15 2008
    • Posts 12
    • Points 110

Ive got MC3 running perfectly on a

- Phenom 9500

- Amd SB700 Mainboard (sound comes from the realtek onboard-chip, but there is a M-Audio Fasttrack USB connected. Otherwise Avid starts flaming about the "not compatible sound hardware" ^^)

- Radeon HD 2600xt passive with two 24" screens from LG

- 4Gigs @800 of G.Skill Ram

- some Western Digital RE2 drives

- Vista x64

and it everything run stable as hell. Of course it does. Avid licensed systems do ot have some magic hardware or "better" Intel Serverboards installed.

• Tue, Jul 22 2008 12:17 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

jemand84:
    everything run stable as hell. Of course it does. Avid licensed systems do ot have some magic hardware or "better" Intel Serverboards installed.

Avid don't claim that their approved systems are "magic hardware".  They do claim to have tested that their software performs reliably on those systems.  This is necessary so that they can legally claim merchantability for their product in its intended use.  It also means that their technical support team doesn't have to know the ins and outs of every PC hardware combination, no matter how obscure.

What this means to you, jemand84, is that if you have a system failure you will not be able to rely on Avid tech support for assistance.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 22 2008 4:01 PM In reply to

• B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

In "-EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i MOBO," the chipset is "nForce 780i" from nVidia.

nVidia is a good company for graphics cards. While the 780i is a decent chipset, it is creating trouble in a lot more than just Avid systems.

At this time, you are absolutely asking for trouble with anything but Intel chipsets.

EVGA is a very good company (good warranties and customer care) that makes good graphics cards, but I wouldn't buy their motherboards (for my needs). Get a Gigabyte motherboard, they are currently the most reliable. Stay away from toys like ECS, and avoid Asus until they rebuild their quality (they used to be as good as Gigabyte).

Which CPU? Matter of personal choice, but if you want to save money go with Q6600, otherwise consider Q9450 which is a decent deal for a later generation of CPUs.

Media Composer 3.0, HP xw8600 w/Quadro 3700, Mac Pro 8-core 10GB, MacBook Pro OS X 10.4, AJA IO, DL Extreme HD&SD, 4TB RAID, FCS2, Adobe Master Collection... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Jul 22 2008 4:43 PM In reply to

• MalachiX
    • Not Ranked
    • Shreveport LA
    • Posts 61
    • Points 1,030

Rethought everything one last time and ended up going with a Q9450 (since the 45nm series is theoretically better for video editing) with an Asus P5Q Deluxe MOBO (had a bad experience with Gigabyte a while ago) using the Intel P45 chipset (I've already ordered it so, if there's a problem with this chipset, please don't tell me). 

Thanx for your help on this guys.

• Tue, Jul 22 2008 6:02 PM In reply to

(I've already ordered it so, if there's a problem with this chipset, please don't tell me). 

.- As I told you, is a gamble.

Maybe it's a total success.

D975X or X38 / 48 were better bets, not only because proven compatibility but because MoBos based on those chipsets usually have better features  like more PCIes and more pro characteristics.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller