Latest post Wed, Jul 16 2008 5:37 PM by earthchild. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 16 2008 5:31 AM

Missing End and Duration timecodes from P2

Hi,

I can't be the first faced with this but my searches have failed.

Several clips imported from P2 to AXP 5.7.2 have no end TC or duration, the TC drops out somewhere along the clip. They all are all clips that span multiple media files (if I try to delete there are usually 10 associated files). All the media files for each clip are in the same MFX folder and I've trashed my database files in those folders without success.

What else should I be doing?

Thanks

15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 4GB RAM... MC 4.0.5 ... QT 7.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 16 2008 5:52 AM In reply to

Re: Missing End and Duration timecodes from P2

I've seen this and it seemed to be related to the order in which you have the cards inserted in the Reader. 

You must make sure that all of the cards are inserted into the Reader slots in the order that they were shot.  Card 1 in Slot 1, Card 2 in Slot 2, etc.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 2:08 PM In reply to

These actually aren't on a reader, they were imported directly to a hard drive from the cards.

15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 4GB RAM... MC 4.0.5 ... QT 7.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 16 2008 2:10 PM In reply to

When they were imported from the cards, they may have been in the wrong order. 

Did you follow the recommended workflow of Consolidating the P2 media to your drive etc?

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 3:08 PM In reply to

Yeah I've been dragging from the Video and Audio folders on the P2 card to sequential folders in the MXF folder and then importing into my bins through the Media Tool.

Fair enough that the cards may have been imported in a different order than the camera laid them to the cards but what's the solution to the problem?

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 3:29 PM In reply to

The only solution I know of for missing Duration/end TC is to go back and insert the cards in the correct order, (a=1, b=2, c=3) and import again. 

The way it was explained to me is that there is certain metadata info contained in the head of the clip that MC/XpressPro uses to determine the clip's frame rate/duration, etc.  End TC is just a calculation based on whatever the Start TC + amount of duration, so if the duration info is missing, so will be the End TC.  Placing the clip's out of order when they are being read by the Avid, confuses it...

I believe this is all documented.

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 3:35 PM In reply to

Okay, well the cards were all reformatted many moons ago so I'll need a work around.

Could the media files in question be moved in correct sequence to a new drive, allowing Avid to re-determine the info? Otherwise maybe I do a video mix-down of the TC-less material and give it the TC I want?

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 3:36 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Can you not sort the files by creation date and get them into the correct order that way?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 3:49 PM In reply to

For sure.

At this point I'm not sure how they're in an "incorrect order," they're just hanging out in a MXF folder. It's clearly happening where the card became full and it moved to a second card; the second half of the media is contained in files that don't appear in the Media Tool or bin because they're the continuation of the previous clip.

So far my attempts to move files to another drive haven't worked.

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 4:06 PM In reply to

earthchild:
    At this point I'm not sure how they're in an "incorrect order," they're just hanging out in a MXF folder. It's clearly happening where the card became full and it moved to a second card; the second half of the media is contained in files that don't appear in the Media Tool or bin because they're the continuation of the previous clip.

The order of the clips in the MXF folder or Bin have no bearing on anything.

If clipA was recorded and it spans more than one card, (card1 and card2) then you have clipA/card1, and clipA/card2 - if Card2 was inserted into slot1 of the Reader (or imported first) then the header info containing the metadata is not there. 

Think of it like a puzzle, you have two pieces, they only fit together one way to make the picture, if you put them together incorrectly the picture won't represent what it is supposed to. 

You have exploited one of the major inherent flaws with P2 media workflow, with XDCam at least you have the discs with the source material on it for importing should anything happen to your imported media.  With P2, people just reformat the cards and move on and end up in trouble.

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 4:26 PM In reply to

So files on my hard drive aren't really a copy of what was on the card? They're missing the metadata from the original files?

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 4:42 PM In reply to

Yes and no. 

The P2 cards contain MXF files, but when you import them into Avid they get "adapted" to Avid flavor MXF files.  If the P2 cards were imported in the incorrect order for spanned clips, the Avid has no way of knowing all the info about the clips.  Info on clipA/card2 is directly dependent on the info contained in clipA/card1.  If you switch the order then Avid is aware that there is extra info to be found for the clips, but it can't determine all of the info.

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 5:37 PM In reply to

Am I splitting hairs in saying that I imported them to a folder on a hard drive, not just "Avid"?

The bottom line question is whether there's a way to use these files to create the correct clipA/card1...clipA/card2 positioning or whether the original data was wiped off the files when they went from the cards to the hard drive and I'm just totally out of luck

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller