Latest post Thu, Jul 17 2008 8:56 PM by macjaeger. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 15 2008 5:55 PM

    • boltown
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • buenos aires
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,825

    Is MC 3.0 using all CPU power?

    I'm rendering a sequence with a lot of Fluid Motion Effects in HD. Rendering 1:1 on a 2 x 2.66GHz Dual core Intel Xeon MacPro with 5GB 667MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM and while rendering i open Activity monitor the % of cpu used is 25% to 30% leaving 70% idle.

    Is this right?

    Is there any way to improve this?

    Thanks

    Agustin

     

    Intel 755xbx2 mobo Core 2 duo 2.2GHz 4GB RAM Quadro fx550 Graphic board Pyro DV Firewire board [view my complete system specs]

    www.wancamp.com.ar

    Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 17 2008 2:05 PM In reply to

    • boltown
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • buenos aires
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,825

    Re: Is MC 3.0 using all CPU power?

     

    bump

    Intel 755xbx2 mobo Core 2 duo 2.2GHz 4GB RAM Quadro fx550 Graphic board Pyro DV Firewire board [view my complete system specs]

    www.wancamp.com.ar

  • Thu, Jul 17 2008 2:12 PM In reply to

    Re: Is MC 3.0 using all CPU power?

    I'm working on actual data for this, but it's hard to come by.  Avid DOES utilize all 8 cores for most functions, but not all.  In particular, some effects do not render using all available power.  Not sure which yet.  Which effects were you using when doing this render test?

    Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

    Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

  • Thu, Jul 17 2008 2:19 PM In reply to

    • boltown
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • buenos aires
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,825

    Re: Is MC 3.0 using all CPU power?

    Hi Todd, thanks for the reply!

    I'm rendering a sequence with a lot of fluid motion, as as far as I can see Avid is using 1 core only.

     

    Intel 755xbx2 mobo Core 2 duo 2.2GHz 4GB RAM Quadro fx550 Graphic board Pyro DV Firewire board [view my complete system specs]

    www.wancamp.com.ar

  • Thu, Jul 17 2008 3:41 PM In reply to

    • B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

    Re: Is MC 3.0 using all CPU power?

    Could you be disk-bound instead of CPU-bound?

     

    Media Composer 3.0, HP xw8600 w/Quadro 3700, Mac Pro 8-core 10GB, MacBook Pro OS X 10.4, AJA IO, DL Extreme HD&SD, 4TB RAID, FCS2, Adobe Master Collection... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 17 2008 4:13 PM In reply to

    • boltown
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • buenos aires
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,825

    Re: Is MC 3.0 using all CPU power?

    I don't Think so. I have a 4x500GB SATA II Drives Array connected to a HighPoint RAID Card with 180+ MB throughput.

     

    Intel 755xbx2 mobo Core 2 duo 2.2GHz 4GB RAM Quadro fx550 Graphic board Pyro DV Firewire board [view my complete system specs]

    www.wancamp.com.ar

  • Thu, Jul 17 2008 8:56 PM In reply to

    • macjaeger
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 16 2008
    • Coburg, Germany
    • Posts 241
    • Points 2,890

    Re: Is MC 3.0 using all CPU power?

    MC 3.0 is also using the gpu for a lot of operations and has an "intelligent" algorithm for deciding which silicon chips to use when. FluidMotion uses several techniques found in mpeg playback acceleration (e.g. motion prediction) which the gpu can handle more effecient than the cpu, so my _guess_ is that your intel chips are almost idling because your nvidia chips are doing all the work.

    Well, it's only an assumption...

    MC 3.0 (soft) on 2.4Ghz Intel Core2Quad, 4GB, Win7, 3 Screens hooked to Nvidia GTX260 & 9500GT, 1 TB striping RAID [view my complete system specs]

    not a pro, just a teacher...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller