Latest post Tue, Jul 15 2008 3:14 PM by Tonemah. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 14 2008 3:19 PM

• Tonemah
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • Little Rock, AR
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

Import P2 in V 2.6

Hello-

I'm on an AVID machine that is running MC version 2.6, and I can't get P2 footage into the software.  I've tried coming straight from the P2 cards, but the "Import P2> Clips to bin" is not available in V2.6 I've copied the mxf files to a new Avid MediaFiles>MXF>"number", and still nothing, the clips that import that route say that the footage is on a drive that it's not. Weird.

Does anyone know how to import P2 using V2.6?

AVID NITRIS DX Windows XP SP2 Avid Media Composer 3.0 Quicktime Ver. 7.4.5 HP xw8600, 3.25 GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700 Driver Ver. 6.14.11.6947 [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jul 14 2008 3:27 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Import P2 in V 2.6

I don't know if it works but you could try moving the MXF media to the folder structure you mentioned, Opening the media tool (Showing master clips for the drives where the P2 media resides) and then dragging the resulting clips to a bin (or is that what you are already doing?).

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Jul 14 2008 11:53 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,418
    • Points 97,405

What may be going wrong is you may be dragging the VIDEO and AUDIO or CONTENTS folders into the Avid MediaFiles folders.  If you are to use the technique successfully you should be dragging the contents of the VIDEO and AUDIO folders into MXF/1 (or whatever numbered folder you're using).  Then launch Avid, open the Media Tool, search out the media, and drag it to your chosen bin(s).

I used that technique extensively prior to P2 import being fully implemented and it worked quite well.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 15 2008 3:14 PM In reply to

• Tonemah
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • Little Rock, AR
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

I did drag the contents of the Video folder (audio unnecessary) into the MXF>1 folder. At first I didn't try the Media tool, just imported the database, but later I did try the media tool, and neither option worked. But here's what did....

I have a Panasonic AJ-PCD20 that I was originally trying to cut from, but couldn't get the contents from the P2 cards into the Avid. Then I copied the MXF files into a new database folder structure, and imported the database. The clips appeared "offline", even though the correct MXF files were in the designated folder structure. The files, inside Avid, were saying that the MXF files I imported from Drive K (the copied MXF data) were really on Drive J (the P2 slot in the card reader). So, after re-inserting the P2 cards into the designated slots on the P2 card reader, voila, clips were online in Avid...

I assume that avid read the cards on the initial opening of Avid, indexed the files on the P2 cards, and then never changed that particular data store? But what's weird is that the database I imported with copied MXF files was from a completely "new drive". It shouldn't have mattered because of the new database file.

I won't have to worry about this issue again, because I'm upgrading my system very soon, but I would still like to understand what Avid is "thinking" so to speak. I don't think I've ever fully wrapped my brain around Avid's databasing and the media tool.

AVID NITRIS DX Windows XP SP2 Avid Media Composer 3.0 Quicktime Ver. 7.4.5 HP xw8600, 3.25 GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700 Driver Ver. 6.14.11.6947 [view my complete system specs]

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller