Latest post Mon, Jul 14 2008 6:54 PM by Febriano Jody Ariawan. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 11 2008 12:42 AM

• cut0FF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 3 2008
    • Posts 16
    • Points 215

Need advice on a new PC for Avid MC3+MOJO SDI

I am finnaly building a new PC for avid MC. I need a system that can run 1:1 and possibly HD video resolutions. I think it will be XP based but I'm not 100% on that yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

My current part list

Asus P5Q motherboard

Intel Q9450 cpu

4 GB of 1066 ram

320GB system HD

2*500 GB video HDs - should I go with raid? what Raid option would be best/most reliable?

Leadtech Quatro FX 1700 512mb display card  - This was reccomended but  do I need it? what is the advantage of it over a standard card?

2x22" or 2x24" monitors - would 24" at 1900x1200 enable me to view full resolution 1080p HD video?

MOJO SDI+MC3 package

I know these are some noob questions as I havent been using Avid for a while. My freind who is an experinced editor and will help me with getting reaqueinted with MC but he han no idea about the hardware requierments. Are these hardware specs going to cut  it?

Thanks in advance for any help

• Fri, Jul 11 2008 6:22 AM In reply to

• jasperfdo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 11 2006
    • Santa Monica
    • Posts 671
    • Points 8,845

Re: Need advice on a new PC for Avid MC3+MOJO SDI

cutOFF:

You might be hard pressed to get individual part approval on hardware as the hardware you are using is not tested by Avid, and although that might not matter, if you do run into some little firmware or driver bug on that untested hardware, no one will help you.

there's the warning. =)  but with that I'm using an unsupported Dell Workstation and have been happy. 

if you are even thinking about doing HD I'd consider Vista 64 and get 8GB of RAM.  that 4GB of RAM isn't going to help too much for XP Pro....I've got that same setup, but can only use 3GB as the Windows XP 32-bit OS will not address more (you run an app from Avid to allow the use of 3).

for the nVidia card - that should be the lowest model you go on the Quadro FX line.  Avid really uses the GPU on the card so it does make a big difference if you get into HD stuff.  And definitely stay nVidia.

for drives...again, if doing HD the more drives you have in an array answering I/O calls to Avid the better.  I'd definitely do more than two.  get a RAID controller with a good amount of cache.  as far as reliability - mirroring is the most reliable and fast on reads.  RAID 5 is the balance for performance / reliability / cost.  And an array with no protection is the best for performance / cost.  make sure the drives are minimum 7200RPM.  10K would be better.

hope that helps!

EDIT - I didn't look up that Intel CPU, but Avid MC 3.0 is multi-threaded so the more cores you can pump into that system the better.  get processors with high cache like the Xeons.

MacBook Pro Retina / El Capitan / 16GB RAM / G-Studio Drive System / Media Composer 8.6.x [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | www.theatereleven.com

• Sat, Jul 12 2008 1:51 AM In reply to

• cut0FF
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 215

Thanks Jasperfdo for your detaild answoer,

My minimum goal is 1:1 SD. HD will likly be offline of sorts.

Did you mean Q fx  1700 is OK? or do I need the 3500? the bump in price is steep.

Vista Buisness 64 is a valid option I have been considering. Im not sure of what the advantage will be. Does Avid use the extra amout of RAM? Is it oly the ram or other issue?

I want to use the 2*500GB harddrives mirrored. Does this mean its raid 0? I know the motherborad has a raid controller but i've never cofigured raid before. I'm asuming its a BIOS setting. Sorry if this is noob stuff. I was also looking at an extenal e-SATA raid box that fits up to 4 swapable drive drawers.

About the CPU its a quad core 2.66ghz with 12MB of cach.

• Sat, Jul 12 2008 2:44 AM In reply to

Not that you'll need it, but my understanding is that MC v3.0 is optimized for use with the FX 3700.  Something about that particular GPU.  $800 at www.provantage.com 

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sat, Jul 12 2008 3:40 AM In reply to

• jasperfdo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 11 2006
    • Santa Monica
    • Posts 671
    • Points 8,845

Hey man:

I have not tested the Quadro 1700.  I have the Quadro 3500, so can't tell you for sure.  I just meant don't go below that model.

Vista Business only offers you the opportunity to inhale more RAM as XP is only gonna let you use 3GB max for Avid.  I've heard however that Vista 64 is not using the nVidia GPU as well as it should be at the moment.  However....I'm sure they'll work that out.

I have 2 500GB drives, but have them striped as one drive.  Ideally I would like to have four striped together as intense audio in the sequence is slow to write for me since it is I/O based (when you enable the wave forms).  For 1:1 SD I don't think one drive is ideal...you'll be able to do it, but I'd do a three drive array.

Integrated RAID controllers on motherboards are not always the best.  I'm using one right now and have been fine for DVCAM / HDV stuff.  When I have the cash however I'm getting an Adaptec RAID controller with a good amount of cache and four drives.  Better are 4 250GB drives than 2 500GB drives.  For 1:1 you can squeak by.  For HD an integrated controller with two drives is not going to cut it I don't think.

Also on that....people will tell you that your OMFI MediaFiles folder cannot exceed a certain size which is true.  I keep each project separate and rename each folder to 'OMFI MediaFiles' when wanting to work on it.  That way I can keep all my media on one array and not run into that issue.  Just a heads up before you get confused by another post.

Configuring RAID arrays is done in the setup (bios) on the RAID controller as it has a separate bios from your system board.

MacBook Pro Retina / El Capitan / 16GB RAM / G-Studio Drive System / Media Composer 8.6.x [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | www.theatereleven.com

• Sat, Jul 12 2008 4:08 AM In reply to

• B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

I'd stay away from Asus motherboards for a while, they have seriously dropped their quality.

Gigabyte is tops today (it has always been quite good, and Asus used to be equally good but not anymore).

Get 2x24" over 2x22," there's little cost difference but great enjoyment difference. Not just for viewing HD at native pixel resolution, but also because you have more space for user interface controls (1920x1200 vs. 1680x1050 pixels).

If you want a serious bargain, get a pair of Westinghouse LM2410 24" LCDs for $350 each at Newegg. Superb picture quality, easy to calibrate with separate black level and white level for example (not all LCDs have this done properly), no bad pixels, great viewing angle, and HDMI jack as well as analog inputs for desperate situations :O). Only bummer is that its sleep doesn't work in computer monitor mode (it does work in TV mode however), so you have to turn it off manually when you leave for the day.

I've heard however that Vista 64 is not using the nVidia GPU as well as it should be at the moment.

If you buy a Vista Business or Ultimate Retail package, you get two disks in the box, one 32-bit and one 64-bit. Note also that a Retail Upgrade version costs only $5 more than the OEM full version, so if you have an old XP or Vista disk of any kind, you can upgrade from this. You don't have to install the old software, just have the disk handy (or when it asks for the old OS disk, just put in the Vista upgrade disk you just bought, that will also be accepted).

Media Composer 3.0, HP xw8600 w/Quadro 3700, Mac Pro 8-core 10GB, MacBook Pro OS X 10.4, AJA IO, DL Extreme HD&SD, 4TB RAID, FCS2, Adobe Master Collection... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 14 2008 5:00 PM In reply to

• cut0FF
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 215

Thanks guys. This was all very helpful.

Here is what I just ordered

Gigabyte EP45 DS3R motherboard

Intel Q9450 CPU

8 GB of DDR2 800 RAM

Windows Vista Buisness 64

320 GB system HD

2*500 GB for internal RAID still not sure if i should set it to 0,1 or 5, I'm want them mirrored and best possible read preformance.

G-SPEED eS-R 1TB RAID

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-SPEED-eS.cfm

one 24" dell 2408 (yeah only one for now but I got the best I could)

Quadro FX 1700 512MB

Antec P182 case +Corsair 520 cpu

• Mon, Jul 14 2008 6:54 PM In reply to

hi cutoff.. if you want to mirror your hard drive and get speed advantage, then raid 5 is the best option. ou can get the benefit of raid 0 and raid 1 there...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller