Latest post Tue, Jul 8 2008 7:23 PM by B.J. Ahlen. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 8 2008 2:22 PM

• DKGen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,635

Capturing on Avid for editing on FCP

Ha... a good question for the Avid forum.  A friend of mine has just enquired about whether I would be able to capture (in my Avid) 4 hours worth of DVCam footage which is to then be edited on Final Cut Pro (not by myself).

I said I don't think there's anything I can do unless I was to capture the footage and then export as Quicktimes.  Which would mean compression and would take a long time.  He's idealy looking at it to be as uncompressed as possible.  The thought of 4 hours worth of uncomprssed Quicktimes give me the hebeejeebees before I've even started.  Anyway, before I say I can't help I thought I'd run it past the forum and see if anyone has any ideas.  To be honest.. I could do with the extra work so any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

HP XW8400 Workstation Dual 2.66GHz Xeon 3.00 GB RAM Quadro FX 1500 256 MB Avid XPPro v5.7.2 After Effects CS3 3ds Max 9 XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
    HP XW8400 Workstation Dual 2.66GHz Xeon 3.00 GB RAM Quadro FX 1500 256 MB Avid XPPro v5.7.2 Mojo SDi XP SP2 G-tech Raid 1 TB Max 9 AE CS3 HVR M15E HPLP2465 JVC TM-H1750C CRT Monitor Samsung 40" LCD
  • Tue, Jul 8 2008 2:33 PM In reply to

Re: Capturing on Avid for editing on FCP

The media files are completely different.  Avid has it's own and Apple uses Quicktime.  And, in order to convert Avid media into Apple's ProRes codec, you have to have FCP installed.  Which you can't do if you're on PC.

You'd be better off renting the deck to your friend and letting him capture via FW into his FCP system.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 2:34 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

First off, he's worried about compression and he's shooting on DV? Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has left....

You are correct. The only way for FCP to use the footage you capture is with quicktime movies.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 2:56 PM In reply to

• DKGen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,635

Thanks guys... as I thought really.

Interesting about the ProRes codec though.  So FCP can't work with standard Quicktimes?  Maybe I should ask a different forum that question, somewhen.. but even the thought of subscribing to an FCP forum is worse than the hebeejeebees I got when thinking about 4 hours worth of uncompressed quicktimes ;)

Cheers

HP XW8400 Workstation Dual 2.66GHz Xeon 3.00 GB RAM Quadro FX 1500 256 MB Avid XPPro v5.7.2 After Effects CS3 3ds Max 9 XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
    HP XW8400 Workstation Dual 2.66GHz Xeon 3.00 GB RAM Quadro FX 1500 256 MB Avid XPPro v5.7.2 Mojo SDi XP SP2 G-tech Raid 1 TB Max 9 AE CS3 HVR M15E HPLP2465 JVC TM-H1750C CRT Monitor Samsung 40" LCD
  • Tue, Jul 8 2008 5:52 PM In reply to

• B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

When people say "looking at it to be as uncompressed as possible," they mean "without further compression."

Of course FCP takes Quicktime files, but QT is just the wrapper. You need to use a codec that's available on both the source and target machines, which is a bit of pain between Windows and OS X (there are a lot of DV25 codecs).

The Sheervideo codec is one cross-platform solution, but it may be more than you need.

Media Composer 3.0, HP xw8600 w/Quadro 3700, Mac Pro 8-core 10GB, MacBook Pro OS X 10.4, AJA IO, DL Extreme HD&SD, 4TB RAID, FCS2, Adobe Master Collection... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Jul 8 2008 6:08 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

B.J. Ahlen:
    When people say "looking at it to be as uncompressed as possible," they mean "without further compression."

No...really? Sorry, it's only my second day here.....

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 6:25 PM In reply to

• B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

At least once a year I hear someone talking about DVCAM (DV25) and uncompressed in the same sentence, and so far it has always turned out that what they really wanted was to transfer the exact bits on the tape in some contorted way through multiple machines. I think they're afraid of someone hooking up their computer to a deck via SDI or component analog, and then recompressing that to DV25 on the capture machine.

There is a of course a very legitimate need to transfer DV25 to a better codec for post work, but I never hear that from DVCAM people (who tend not to even know why this would be useful), only from those who like me work with DV25 only as an import format when there is no other footage available.

Media Composer 3.0, HP xw8600 w/Quadro 3700, Mac Pro 8-core 10GB, MacBook Pro OS X 10.4, AJA IO, DL Extreme HD&SD, 4TB RAID, FCS2, Adobe Master Collection... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 8 2008 6:37 PM In reply to

BLKDOG:
    No...really? Sorry, it's only my second day here.....

Hahahahahahaha!

adios,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 6:48 PM In reply to

• B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

Sorry, just trying to help.

If I'm incorrect in any of my information, please feel free (I trust this won't be a problem :O) to correct me.

Otherwise it will be like with the Masochist and the Sadist:

Masochist: "Hit me, hit me!"

Sadist: "Noooo...!"

Huh?

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 7:09 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

I was just giving you a hard time. Being a little cheeky today. Of course the aim is to not compress further but my (tongue in cheek ) point was, if compression were a concern, you wouldn't shoot DV at all.

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 7:23 PM In reply to

• B.J. Ahlen
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica, Calif.
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

Amen to that!

What scares me the most is that so many DVCAM shooters don't even know what they're missing. They think, "Well, I paid $13,000 for my DSR-570 and put on a famous $8,000 broadcast lens. It must be good!"

6-7 years ago when I was getting back to shooting after a long hiatus being legally blind, everyone told me to get a DSR-500/570. I borrowed one and shot some footage to see if any miracles had happened while I was "out of sight" so to speak.

But it quickly became clear to me that no miracles had happened, and I could not accept what I saw. In the absence of better tape-based alternatives, I switched to shooting uncompressed direct to disk with a DXC-D50 I'm still using (it's got the same head as an $85,000 DigiBeta). Better believe it looks good.

Still, occasionally I have to import some DV25 footage shot by others, and I 'm getting progressively better at applying lipstick on it.... Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller