Latest post Wed, Jul 2 2008 1:10 AM by Larry Rubin. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 11:45 PM

• JennyC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 1 2008
    • Posts 5
    • Points 95

Problems with Consolidating and Copying Media from PC to Mac

We are running Avid Media Composer 2.8 on a PC and running our media on an Avid Unity system.We would like to copy a few scenes for another person to work on a MacBook Pro Leopard running Avid Media Composer 3.0.

First we tried consolidating media to a Lacie drive.  We consolidated to an empty partition on our Avid Unity drives (the M drive) and then copied the files to the Lacie.  On the Mac, however, when we opened the project all of the Media files still referenced the original Avid Unity drive (M) and were offline.  I tried re-linking and that didn't work.

So we tried a different approach - copying a bunch of the media from the Unity to the Lacie.  Tried to open it again on the Mac and same problem.  It was still offline.  It would not relink.  And it listed the "M" drive as the drive location.

Any suggestions?  Would be GREATLY appreciated...  We've had tech guys in here all day who also can't figure it out...

Thanks

jenny

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Jul 2 2008 12:09 AM In reply to

• axelo
    • Not Ranked
    • Czech Republic
    • Posts 30
    • Points 380

Re: Problems with Consolidating and Copying Media from PC to Mac

Can you see the Media using the Media Tool (unselect all projects and let it list all media files found in the system)? It usually helps to disrupt AVID's thinking by moving the media files around to force it to rebuild the media database.

Intel i7-3770K @3.5GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600 RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 670, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD system drive, 2x 24" HP LP2475w (1920x1200), Matrox MXo2 mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 2 2008 12:10 AM In reply to

The very first thing to do is rebuild the media database files. Quit the app and in the OMFI MediaFiles folder (and the numerical folders, in the case of MXF media), sort the contents by date bringing the most recent to the top and delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database". On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. This always needs to be done when moving media to different drives.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 12:28 AM In reply to

• JennyC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 95

Thanks for the responses.

I did delete the media database files and it did rebuild them.

When I open the media tool - I see all the MXF video files but none of the OMF files.

I wonder if it's a problem with the drive??

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 12:34 AM In reply to

If you open the OMFI MediaFiles folder at the desktop level do you see the files there? If so, did the OMFI Media Database rebuild successfully? Check the creation date. If the database rebuilt successfully, try relinking to those files at the bins level.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 12:37 AM In reply to

• axelo
    • Not Ranked
    • Czech Republic
    • Posts 30
    • Points 380

Have you copied and rebuilt databases for both MXF and OMF dirs?

Intel i7-3770K @3.5GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600 RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 670, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD system drive, 2x 24" HP LP2475w (1920x1200), Matrox MXo2 mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 2 2008 12:45 AM In reply to

• JennyC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 95

Unfortunately, we've tried deleting and rebuilding the databases multiple times. They rebuild, but still don't recognize the OMF files.

Okay, here's a discovery.  The original files are AIFF files.  I tried just doing an import into the project and it's creating Avid AIFF Media Files from those original AIFF sound files.

Maybe it's a difference between version 2.8 and 3.0?

I've done this before and I've never had this problem...???

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 12:53 AM In reply to

• axelo
    • Not Ranked
    • Czech Republic
    • Posts 30
    • Points 380

We had similar trouble with mixed MXF and OMF on our system with 2.7... if i only new what was the solution... in general you should go with both audio & video in MXF yet i do understand that some audio post companies require OMF...

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 12:57 AM In reply to

There should be no difference, the AIFF format remains unchanged. But I would also recommend to go exclusively MXF format and transcode back to OMF for audio sweetening when necessary. The MXF file structure has a 5,000 file limit, at which point, new numerical folders are created as needed. Avid has a much easier time managing multiple small databases than it does one single huge database.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 12:58 AM In reply to

And BTW, did you try relinking? You didn't mention it in your post.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 1:06 AM In reply to

• JennyC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 95

I tried re-linking. 
    There must be a problem with the drive. We've had 2 different tech people trying to help us too...  No one seems to know the answer...

Thanks though!

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 1:10 AM In reply to

You might want to check permissions issues.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller