Latest post Mon, Jun 30 2008 2:00 PM by stuarthaight. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 30 2008 4:54 AM

• stuarthaight
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 30 2008
    • Fairfax VA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

difficulty with applying multiple effects

Hi, just some background info: I shoot with a decent sony 1080 60i HDV camcorder (also shoots CineFrame 24F), just recently custom built an unqualified PC specificaly for Avid Media Composer (Academic Version), and I'm having trouble applying multiple effects onto a single clip/track/segment. Since I've learned about FluidFilm 2:3 Cadence, I don't need to shoot in dreaded CineFrame 24F. My current project is a Downhill Mountain Bike Video with my friends and it is going to contain loads of slowmotion too, by using Timewarp I will be slowing down 60i footage by 40% to create 24p images from the individual fields and interpolerating them. The thing is, I don't want footage to jump into slowmotion, but I want it to nicely fade or glide into and out of slowmotion.

I cannot figure out how to have Timewarp AND FluidFilm 2:3 Cadence in the same segment of video (2 effects, apply FluidFilm first then Timewarp).  I've tried holding down ALT, clicking and dragging...no good.

Any assistance would be awsome, I'm beginner/moderate at Avid and still learning.

Windows XP 32 Bit, 4GB Ram, MB FSB 1333MHz, Q6600 2.40GHz Quad Core. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 30 2008 5:41 AM In reply to

• GeorgeD
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,555

Re: difficulty with applying multiple effects

You cannot use timewarp on top of other effects. Hopefully you have Boris and you can use Velocityremap instead. Just make keyframes to ramp the speed. Velocity remap also has a nice frame blending build in. Not sure why you would need Fluidfilm though...

• Mon, Jun 30 2008 10:17 AM In reply to

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,220

In the time warp use the pull down menu which, by defult says duplicated field, to fluid film. Use the format pull down options and choose input interlaced and output progressive.

HP Z420 16gb FX 1500 MC 8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k extreme HP Z400 24gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Aja express HP Z400 16gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k... [view my complete system specs]

Mike Kruft. Nottingham, UK

• Mon, Jun 30 2008 2:00 PM In reply to

• stuarthaight
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 30 2008
    • Fairfax VA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Thanks, that makes sense so far. I'm using FluidFilm because Avid's resulting pulldown produces a better result than my sony's cineframe 24F, I'm going for the film 24p look. This is not like Canon's cineframe, its like the sony HVR-Z1U (I have an HDR-HC1, similar to the HVR-A1U) cineframe is distractingly jumpy and I only used it because I like shooting small movies, it wasn't until I borrowed a DVX100b for a 48 Hour Film Project and saw panasonic's true 24p, I've never looked at sony's cineframe the same way since. Before Avid I was using Vegas 6 and their 2:3 pulldown insertion to 60i footage is nothing compaired to Avid's, unless there are other solutions? Is FluidFilm the optimal choice for 24p look from 60i footage.

Windows XP 32 Bit, 4GB Ram, MB FSB 1333MHz, Q6600 2.40GHz Quad Core. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller