Latest post Thu, Apr 28 2011 4:42 PM by beazer. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 25 2008 3:56 AM

Effects

I know I'm literally being the bore - the new person trying to get a handle on Avid - But I really feel that after a week with the application I understand almost all of it's core principles - I can work in it, and the only way I'll get faster is to cut a reel project in it and find the shortcuts.  WITH the exception of effects editing...I'm used to FCP where you just - well - add the effects - I cannot get my head around this step in/step out business and the order in which things are shown...which is why I'm asking if there are any good tutorials on this (the manual mostly donates the effects chapter to transitions - charming, but I get the idea after the first ten pages) - any good places to point me to grasp this would be appreciated.  And again, I do apologize for all the lame "newbie" postings.  

• Wed, Jun 25 2008 4:03 AM In reply to

Re: Effects

Here's an old thread that might offer some help ...

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/974/4292.aspx#4292

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 9:46 PM In reply to

Thanks for the link - and I eventually discovered the extra PDF documents with the advanced effect editor training.  I've come around to the concept - which is bizarre - but whatever...so long as I can make it suit my purpose...I just don't understand how this offers any functionality over most other NLEs way of doing things...?  I don't know, maybe it's something under the hood - maybe it makes me not have to render as much...oh well, now I know two ways of doing something - I guess I can't complain :)

M.

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 10:26 PM In reply to

Hi,

livelikeriley:
    I just don't understand how this offers any functionality over most other NLEs way of doing things...?  

It doesn't, really, it's just a different way of doing things.

livelikeriley:
    maybe it's something under the hood

I think it mostly comes from the age of the software.  After 20-something years of development, changing the effects architecture to make it more efficient would be a pretty big job.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jul 2 2008 10:50 PM In reply to

Let me jump in here.

Nesting is combining effects. There are different orders and different ways to do it.

(1) The up and down arrow keys on the timeline tool allow you to step into an existing effect to add one underneath that is constrained by the one on top - for example nesting a color correction effect inside a PIP to color correct only the PIP content. You can continually step into effects down to I believe 24 layers within a single nest.

(2) ALT + dragging - this superimposes one effect on top of another. You can continually ALT + drag and always be able to use the up and down arrows to step into this nest as well.

(3) Using the collapse function - this allows you to build multi-layer compositions and reduce them all to a sub-master effect on a single layer. This is the way to get clean global transitions from a multi-layer comp to a single clip and vice versa. As always, you can step into and out of this nest as necessary.

Hope this helps.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Apr 28 2011 4:42 PM In reply to

• beazer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 12 2006
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

I have multi-layered keys collapsed into one track in order to apply a transition effect to them globally.  The added transition affects the base layer video beneath it.  How can I prevent this from happening?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller