Latest post Sat, Jul 5 2008 6:28 PM by Brickwad. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 11:15 PM

• s.malkie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 1 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Feature Requests / SNDX

1. DVE Quality. I don't care if it's blue-dot, processor-intensive , or whatever - give me better filtering on all DVE-type moves. Even changing the position (no scaling) on a Matte Key softens and chews up the text substantially. Make it a Render Setting like HQ / the Pan & Zoom effect or whatever, but having to bounce titles back and forth from Photoshop because I know I can't move them in the Symphony without them going all to hell really kinda blows. This could be a very easy way of separating the Symphony from the MC, if that's something Avid is interested in doing.... OR since the common thing seems to be letting the quality of the native effects stagnate and just bundling BCC, let me import .PSDs directly into a BCC DVE or BCC Matte, rather than having to nest or jump through hoops.

2. Spot Color Effect - why doesn't FF/REW work to switch between shapes like it does in Paint / Animatte? Also, can we get Paint / Animatte / Spot Color to work at 10bit? Kinda defeats the purpose of working at 10bits when to do any sort of work to video it's only going to get processed at 8. Same thing with Pan & Zoom and Blur.

3. Lastly, would it be too hard to display two fields when paused. I know the Avid has done the 'pause on field 1 only' since time immemorial but when I'm trying to Color or do Scratch Removal only seeing half the information on my outboard monitors kinda sucks. Steal a page from DS and give me the option to pause on field 1, field 2, or the whole frame.

4. Vista64 is qualified but xp64 isn't? I'm not upgrading to Vista but would love a 64-bit OS.

It is fast and (knock on wood) stable so far, though.

Thanks for reading,

-Scott

Symphony Nitris DX v3.0 / xw8600 / XP32 [view my complete system specs]

--

Scott M. Malkie | Post Production Supervisor | Richmond, Virginia

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jun 20 2008 12:31 AM In reply to

• rdeditor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 100
    • Points 1,335

Re: Feature Requests / SNDX

Personally the thing I'd like most is a garbage matte feature in spectra matte

Freelance. Symphony, Symphony Nitris, DS Nitris [view my complete system specs]
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
  • Sat, Jun 21 2008 5:17 AM In reply to

• s.malkie
    • Not Ranked
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Oh, and I just found out about the "SetResizeType 9" command.

It's better, but if this current quality is "9" there needs to be a "SetResizeType 12" command.

And really - Spot Color needs to work at 10-bit, with better support for multiple shapes in one effect.  It would ALSO be very nice to be able to invert a shape as well (in other words, make an oval, and fill the rest of the raster except for the oval.   A simple "Invert Alpha" or something would suffice.   Again look at DS and the "Invert" checkbox of the "Fill" / "Brush" PPG in Graphics Mode. 

Lastly, soft drop shadows in any promoted effect.  

I would be more than happy to sacrifice 4-8 of my RT streams to get better-looking, higher-quality effects.  Use my GPU if you need to, with Domain eXchange you should be able to, right?

Thanks,

-Scott

--

• Sat, Jun 21 2008 10:28 AM In reply to

You do know about the HQ setting on the 3D effects, right?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 21 2008 9:07 PM In reply to

• s.malkie
    • Not Ranked
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Oh yes, I've tried promoting and setting HQ render settings...

Compare the quality of a scaled or repositioned Photoshop file (even with SetResizeType 9 and HQ turned on) vs. the same scaling / repositing in Combustion or AE and it's not even close.

One looks great, one looks tolerable. 

Again, if dev resources are going to more RT streams instead of things like full-raster pause or soft drop shadows, that's totally Avid's call - just admit where the priorities are, and bundle BCC/Sapphire/Adobe CS3 with every new sale.

Just my $.02 (which is worth less and less every day),

-Scott

--

• Sat, Jun 21 2008 9:12 PM In reply to

I'm just wondering if we'll ever have a 3D engine within an Avid application that will be capable of resolution independent scaling.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 21 2008 10:04 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

Yes! Yes! Yes! 

Michael.

• Sun, Jun 22 2008 12:01 AM In reply to

3. I don't think it would be hard. Although, interlace footage would produce the incredible jitter on certain frames (ie fast moving objects).

4. It is pointless by now. XP is being phased out and XP64 was just a stop-gap solution for MS.

Other than that, 1 and 2 have been requested since I can remember :(

Hopefully someday...

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 23 2008 11:23 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

I just upgraded to SNDX 3.0 from a MC Adrenaline HD. While the DX is much more responsive that the Adrenaline hardware. I am a little underwhelmed by the Symphony software compared to the Media Composer. The color correction on the SN is much more advanced than MC and it will take me some time to learn how to use it all. Unfortunately, that's about where the difference ends from what I can tell. The rest of the interface and effects appear exactly as in MC.

I have been using MC since the mid '90's and over the years I thought there would be a bigger difference between MC and SN. There has always been a big price difference between the two. I think it would be great if Avid could give the SN a few more bells and whistles to help justify the difference in costs.

Derrick

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Mon, Jun 23 2008 11:57 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Universal mastering is pretty big, for me at least.

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Fri, Jul 4 2008 5:41 PM In reply to

I'm still waiting for a soft drop shadow in the DVE.

:: Work - Symphony Nitris DX 3.5.1, HP xw8600 :: Home - Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU 8GB G.Skill DDR3 7-7-7 1600 Ram Asus P5E3 Pro NVidia Quadro FX... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Fri, Jul 4 2008 5:46 PM In reply to

Scott Carnegie:

I'm still waiting for a soft drop shadow in the DVE.

Yeah, I remember making a post here requesting this sometime last year, I think it was.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jul 4 2008 6:17 PM In reply to

Universal mastering is pretty big, for me at least.

Still SD only, right?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 5 2008 2:56 AM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Job ter Burg:
    Still SD only, right?

Nope, HD too.

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Sat, Jul 5 2008 8:34 AM In reply to

Hmmmm. On the L, Terry says otherwise.... ??

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller