Latest post Sat, Jun 21 2008 7:06 PM by Butcher. 156 replies.
Page 4 of 11 (157 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 12:45 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,419
    • Points 97,410

Re: Complaint post

Locked Contact

Larry Rubin:
    I've always wondered myself why Apple refuses to port FCP for PC, given the potential spike in market share.

Actually, Apple bought Macrovision's FCP and ported it from PC to Mac, then shut down the PC version.  So they're hardly likely to open it up for genuine competition again, are they?

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 1:47 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 589
    • Points 7,820

Locked Contact

jwrl:

Larry Rubin:
    I've always wondered myself why Apple refuses to port FCP for PC, given the potential spike in market share.

Actually, Apple bought Macrovision's FCP and ported it from PC to Mac, then shut down the PC version.  So they're hardly likely to open it up for genuine competition again, are they?

... and above all, Apple is primarily a hardware company that operates by the old addage that software sells hardware.  If they port to PC, FCP could run on much less expensive "whitebox" machines, and that would damage Apple hardware sales.  Its the same reason Avid won't support standard QT or WM / DirectX media capture, monitor and playback hardware like AJA, BlueFish, BlackMagic, Matrox, Motu, etc. They still think of themselves as a hardware company, and are using the appropriately priced software to sell their overpriced hardware.

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 1:58 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,419
    • Points 97,410

Locked Contact

Apple?  Sell overpriced hardware?  They don't do that, surely!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 7:10 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port Hardy, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 20,465

Locked Contact

BLKDOG:
    On the other hand, I do agree that the code itself has reached the tipping point and, though 3.0 has done much to stream line it, could use a re-write from the ground up.
     ...Wow ! Surprise BLKDOG, could you please explain what you mean when you say the code has reached "the tipping point ?" Also, why do you think the software needs a re-write from the ground up ? I'm very intrigued by your comments. Huh?

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 7:22 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port Hardy, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 20,465

Locked Contact

Larry Rubin:
    Whoever said that most likely, like myself, came over to Avid from the linear world of editing. I don't think you can fully appreciate just how true that quote is unless you've come over as well. NLE only editors have NO IDEA what it took to create complex multi-layered, multi-effects programs in that environment.

...I do. I came over from editing 16 mm work prints on a Moviola, then a Steenbeck. (I loved the Steenbeck). I wasn't too crazy about 16 mm full coat (Racal Zonal) because it seemed with each pass, you got a slight loss of dB output from the fullcoat ! (Not a problem with 35 mm fullcoat). Many of us used to use a Steenbeck specially configured to take 35 MM fullcoat with a 16 mm picture head for this reason.

I remember attending a demonstration of the Avid for the first time in the late 80's and was fascinated by what you could do with it. I could never afford one then, but it is a profoundly empowering tool which really changed the film industry. For one thing, you could finish a movie much faster than you could before.

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 8:46 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,419
    • Points 97,410

Locked Contact

Laptopeditor:
    BLKDOG, could you please explain what you mean when you say the code has reached "the tipping point ?" Also, why do you think the software needs a re-write from the ground up ?

Taking the liberty of answering for BLKDOG, any software that's been around as long as Avid has carries with it a lot of baggage in the form of "dead" code, obsolete libraries and other issues of a similar nature.  It still works, but there are inevitably components that could do with a revisit, to say the least.

The simplest way to do this is a rewrite.  It's costly to do, and can be very time consuming.  It also means that although of the known, documented bugs in the app are gone, a rash of new ones inevitably appear.

It becomes a matter of weighing up whether the benefits of the rewrite outweigh the benefits of the current stability.  That's the "tipping point".

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 6:26 PM In reply to

Locked Contact

Larry Rubin:

Steeldestroyer:
    "we should all thank Avid for how it has enriched our lives." 

Whoever said that most likely, like myself, came over to Avid from the linear world of editing. I don't think you can fully appreciate just how true that quote is unless you've come over as well. NLE only editors have NO IDEA what it took to create complex multi-layered, multi-effects programs in that environment.

Just to clarify: I wasn't referring to an actual quote, but to more of the "attitude" of several posts.

I won't deny the power of the NLE, nor Avid's contribution to that end.  However, the introduction of Avid was 19 (!) years ago.  The market has changed significantly since then, and there is now very real competition to Avid's product line; some of that competition does certain functions better than Avid.

I suppose my biggest gripe is that I very much desire to use Avid.  The fine precision, excellent media management, and real-time performance are tremendous selling points even for me, a non-professional editor (that is, I don't edit for a living).  Unfortunately, while the software (due to excellent upgrade prices) has stayed in my price range, the hardware costs have not.  I cannot justify purchasing a certified system, nor a Quadro FX video card.  Which apparently means I'm not up to snuff to own an Avid. Huh?

As a side note, I don't claim that Avid should run on every computer, or even a majority.  But it is unfortunate that well-known, reliable manufacturers of well-known and reliable parts (in my case, the Geforce 8800 series) are excluded from compatibility.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz 3 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (2x1GB, 2x512MB;) XFX GeForce 8800GT 512MB 250 GB Seagate HD (System) 3x500 GB Western Digital... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 7:01 PM In reply to

Locked Contact

"well-known and reliable parts" aren't the requirement.  Proper implementation of Open GL is. 

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 7:32 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Locked Contact

Steeldestroyer:
    he fine precision, excellent media management, and real-time performance are tremendous selling points even for me, a non-professional editor (that is, I don't edit for a living).

and this is , kinda, my point. Avid is built for professionals. Those of us who do make our living with these systems. Therefore, we appreciate the way avid tests and certifies systems. That way I have a road map for asset management.

Wrong or right, and this is only my opinion, I think that, if you want to swim in the pool with the customer base Avid targets, you need to be willing to play by the rules established by the Avid lifeguards.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 7:32 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Locked Contact

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 8:43 PM In reply to

• AquaPix
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 16 2006
    • UK
    • Posts 447
    • Points 5,545

Locked Contact

Steeldestroyer, I have read through your system specs and except for your GPU MC3 should work just fine even though not qualified oficially by Avid.

Lots of people on this forum have actually softmodded their geforce 8800 into a Quadro and got MC3 to work. Here you can read how to: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/59113.aspx

If you read through my specs you'll fin that it is not qualified as well, but runs MC3 like a charme Smile.

MC3.0.5, QT7.4.5, Vista Business x64, Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, Asus P5K Mobo, 8GB RAM (OCZ Reaper @ 950MHz DDR II), GeForce 8800GTX (multithreading... [view my complete system specs]

Andy Lange www.aquapix.tv

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 11:43 PM In reply to

• rodpaul
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 103
    • Points 1,390

Locked Contact

This is either a joke or doesn't belong in a serious forum, as with the clown who started this thread. Move on.

Dell T3600T 12 Cores 3.5 ghz Intel 32GRAM K4200 Windows 10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 12:20 AM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

Locked Contact

I love Avid and will praise it and bash it at different times for different issues.  But I see nothing wrong with a thread like this that let's people express their opinions pretty bluntly.  Telling us to "move on" is not a great attitude - if you don't like the post, don't contribute any further.  I personally like seeing all of the viewpoints from the users, which go from the novices to to the seasoned professionals.  IMO, as long as no one is personally getting bashed, there is nothing wrong with this thread.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 1:26 AM In reply to

Locked Contact

vpcmike:
    as long as no one is personally getting bashed, there is nothing wrong with this thread.

100% agreed!

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 20 2008 12:25 AM In reply to

Locked Contact

Randall L Rike:

"well-known and reliable parts" aren't the requirement.  Proper implementation of Open GL is. 

Understood.  Unfortunately, paying to get "proper" implementation of OGL means I sacrifice quality in every non-professional application.  I don't consider that to be a worthwhile investment (and it is also why I don't soft-mod my 8800 into a Quadro).

BLKDOG:  As far as swimming in the "Avid" pool goes, this was why I appreciated the XDV (and even XPro) line of products.  It allowed me to swim in the Avid 'kiddie pool' (to extend your metaphor), getting some of the splash from the main pool while not getting too deep over my head.  Without the kiddie pool I either have to take the plunge or take myself to another pool.  If that's the goal of Avid's new thinking, so be it.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz 3 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (2x1GB, 2x512MB;) XFX GeForce 8800GT 512MB 250 GB Seagate HD (System) 3x500 GB Western Digital... [view my complete system specs]
Page 4 of 11 (157 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller