Latest post Tue, Jul 15 2008 11:43 PM by AndrewAction. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 10 2008 9:40 AM

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,085

Huge Problems with MC v3 -- How to Roll Back?

Help! After installing v3 and running it one time, it crashed with an Access Violation. I repaired permissions and ownership of my boot drive, as I've done in the past, and since then I've been completely unable to make the software boot. It crashes always with the following error:

So now I would like to reinstall 2.8.3. However, when I do that it too fails to launch, giving me a fatal error, indicating that some file is not able to be found.

Any thoughts on how to go back to a prior version would be greatly appreciate.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 10 2008 9:44 AM In reply to

Re: Huge Problems with MC v3 -- How to Roll Back?

"... that some file is not able to be found ..."

The name of that file might be helpful.  Also, did you do a full uninstall of MC v3.0 prior to reinstalling 2.8.x?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 10:08 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,085

Of  course you're right about the file name -- just so damn tired and frustrated I didn't get it.

Yes, I did a full uninstall of v3 before trying to reinstall 2.8.3. I've now uninstalled 2.8.3 and am re-installing it to try and get the name of the missing file from the error dialog. Aargh, I knew better than to try and do this on a work night. My excitement is definitely getting the better of me and tomorrow is gonna suck. It'll suck even more if I don't have a working Avid by then.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 10 2008 10:27 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,085

Okay, so I reinstalled 2.8.3 and this time it got closer to launching. I actually thought it was going to work. Then, at the last minute, I got this error:

Man. I'm gonna kill myself.

Chris

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 10:34 AM In reply to

Well, I have no idea what that file is.  Unless you have a lot of plug-ins etc, you might be better off to do a clean install of Windows.  Sorry to be suggesting that at 2:30am ... :(

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 11:37 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,759
    • Points 48,080
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

DSI.dll is a Digidesign file. If you have ProTools you should try and re-install that, and then re-install MC 2.8.3.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 12:28 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,665
    • Points 19,920

And You can not install PT on the same system as MC3. (You can have dual boot, but not on the same boot-partition).

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 10 2008 3:25 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,085

I don't, and have never had, Pro Tools installed on this machine. Whatever digidesign drivers I have, were put there by the Avid installer.

I finally gave up and reinstalled Windows again. It was such a mess I couldn't make any version of Avid work after the v3 debacle.

Chris

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 11:56 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,759
    • Points 48,080
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I didn't know that ProTools and MC3 were incompatible. It may not help now, but I did find a Digidesign drivers install kit on my system drive that was put there as part of the 2.8 install. I'm wondering if you had it on your system and just needed to re-run the installer.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Jun 11 2008 2:37 AM In reply to

One major thing to note is that I believe the folder paths have changed between 2.8 and 3.0.  So, when you do upgrade it would be wise to make sure there are no "straggling" 2.8 Avid folders/files lying around. 

Also, when uninstalling 3.0, you will have to make sure everything is cleaned up nicely if you ever go back to 2.8. 

I think this is mentioned in the ReadME.  (I just glanced through it last night)

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Jun 11 2008 2:51 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,085

Yeah, I tried to follow the readme to a 'T' but still got bolloxed up somewhere. What's weird is that the app launched just fine the first time, and I ran it for about 10 or 15 minutes before it crashed. After that I couldn't get it to launch again without crashing. Then I couldn't get it to uninstall properly (I guess), 'cause 2.8.3 wouldn't work either.

In any event, I've now reinstalled Windows, and all my apps, and am sitting pretty at version 2.8.3 again. I'm gonna make a disk image backup of my boot drive and try again this weekend. Should have done that in the first place; would've made it much easier to undo the damage. Embarrassed

Will report back with progress - either good or bad...

Chris

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 5:03 AM In reply to

• CR8VDO
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 31 2008
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,920

I've run into similar problems, basically , 3.0 is NOT for me.  Problem now is I set Sytem restore, just in case, BEFORE installing 3.0, BUT, VIOLA, it will not restore now to previous settings.  AVid can now NOT be UNINSTALLED AT ALL and my stsem is SCREED UP BIG TIME.  I have already had it with AVID after using Premiere for the last 12years and experiencing horrible customer service, I now have to deal with this crap from AVID!  Can anyone today make software that does what it is advertised to do?  I doubt it very much!

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) Install Language: English (United States) System Locale: English (United States) Installed: 12/13... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 7:26 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,085

Yikes! Yeah, basically once I had Avid MC 3.0 go south on me, I found that I couldn't really get it to uninstall either -- and I didn't even mess around with the restore points. I thought it was uninstalled. But when I reinstalled 2.8.3 it was a big cluster-f**k to the nth degree.

If you haven't installed v3 yet, I'd suggest using something like Acronis True Image to make a backup of your system drive before doing so. That way you have a sure-fire way back to the land of working Avid, should the need arise.

You've been warned.

Chris

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 8:03 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

CR8VDO:

I've run into similar problems, basically , 3.0 is NOT for me.  Problem now is I set Sytem restore, just in case, BEFORE installing 3.0, BUT, VIOLA, it will not restore now to previous settings.  AVid can now NOT be UNINSTALLED AT ALL and my stsem is SCREED UP BIG TIME.  I have already had it with AVID after using Premiere for the last 12years and experiencing horrible customer service, I now have to deal with this crap from AVID!  Can anyone today make software that does what it is advertised to do?  I doubt it very much!

I am sorry for saying this but do note that holding a hammer does not make you a craftsman...

Why on earth would you do a system restore AFTER installing an app??? System restore is meant for emergency.. not when a app does not work.. It does what it is supposed to, restore to previous state meaning restore REGISTERY to previous state. With that action you made sure Avid was impossible to remove due to your system restore.

It is always the same whennew versions are there... so many crapping at Avid for this and that and it is all wrong while 9 out of 10 times either the system underperforms or the human that uses it just is not capable of using it.

V3 has a few issues all noted in the readme.. not being able to uninstall is not one of them.. same goes for using a 8800 when they state you need a Quadro card...

Now back to our regular programming.

How to install a new version (the short version):

1. Go HERE and buy/download Acronis True image
    2. Install True image and reboot
    3. Make a image of your system drive with Acronis (this will take a hell of a lot longer then system restore)
    4. Make sure you test the integrety of the image
    5. Backup project and settings (when needed)
    6. Read the readme/release notes that come with 3.0 (so you are using the right version QT and drivers)
    7. UN-install Avid and reboot
    8. Get rid of all the Avid crap still there like folders etc (make sure you have a backup of your projects)
    9. Install V3 ONLY after you made sure you have the right QT and NVIDIA drivers...
    10. Reboot, flash dongle
    11. Start and pray.

Menno

ps excuse me for the first part of the message.. but i needed to vent...

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Wed, Jun 11 2008 6:30 PM In reply to

• DonR
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Irving, Mexas
    • Posts 225
    • Points 3,130

Meno,

Thank you for your reply and install recommendations.

From the ReadMe directions to get rid of everything AVID in preparation for installing 3.0, it would appear 3.0 does not even like the smell of earlier versions! I'm hoping I save all of the required project/setting files from 2.8.3 as I uninstall that version.

I suppose the uninstall also applies to the various plug-ins like Boris and Sapphire.

Thanks again.

Don R.

SuperMicro Superworkstation 7045A-T Computer Hardware: 1-Supermicro Sys-7045A-TB 4U Xeon 1333FSB FB-DIMM 6XSATA Motherboard X7DAE 2-Intel... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller