Latest post Sun, Jul 6 2008 3:53 PM by kellyv. 101 replies.
Page 4 of 7 (102 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 21 2008 2:57 PM In reply to

• Kirk Ryad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Posts 20
    • Points 290

Re: M.C. 3.0 Available for Download

If the Mojo SDI and DNA problems are not fixed by July 15th (the update deadline for purchases made after March 17th) will that July 15th deadline be extended so DNA users aren't left in the dust?

Thanks,

Kirk

• Sat, Jun 21 2008 3:26 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,948
    • Points 214,885
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Good question...... let me check with corporate marketing on Monday and report back.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Jun 22 2008 5:13 PM In reply to

• Kirk Ryad
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 290

Thanks, Marianna. I'd really appreciate it.

So they can better understand the situation some of us are facing, here's a little run-down of why it is so important to support the DNA:

1) I purchased Avid MC 2.8 (and my Intel 8-Core Mac Pro) just before NAB '08 because I was concerned that Avid might show/announce something radical at NAB that may push Avid out of my budget range.

2) I'm in an Avid 24 frame animation project collaborating with others. Since the mojo doesn't work, there is no way to either digitize footage, make tapes, or even see my work on a client monitor!

So that makes my work flow look like this...  I have my buddy digitize the tapes on his Media Composer OS9. Then I edit the footage in my MC 2.8. When it's time to output, I have to make a Quicktime from the Avid, then bring it into Final Cut Pro and Compressor to add the pull-up and make the output via firewire and DVCAM deck.

So that means my mojo-sdi literally has zero functionality and sits there collecting dust while I do these crazy time-consuming work-arounds.

3) To make matters worse, we are now collaborating via the internet and pumping our live edit sessions through Slingbox (slingbox.com). So that means I have to edit in Final Cut Pro for the live sessions, then painstakingly conform the Avid project afterwards so that all our Avid projects and media are working together.

Woe is me, I know... but my Mojo is currently 100 percent useless and my amazing avid interface is not feeling so amazing any more.

Thanks,

Kirk

• Mon, Jun 23 2008 9:31 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,948
    • Points 214,885
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Kirk,

Srill waiting to hear back so hang tight and I will respond once I know more.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 23 2008 11:21 PM In reply to

"... but my Mojo is currently 100 percent useless and my amazing avid interface is not feeling so amazing any more."

We know what you mean. At my school facility we had no way to view HD footage on Avid except on 2 of our Adrenalines with HD boards.
    Our only option was to purchase a bunch of Matrox MXO boxes (which only work in presentation mode with Avid but in full quality Mode with FCP After effects etc.)
    We were hoping Avid would finally get on the ball and support 3rd party hardware but NO. Barring that we were hoping that at least they would write device drivers so 3rd party software could use Avid Hardware even if it required an alternative boot. NO. The Mojo DX is exorbitantly priced for what it does. If I could use it with FCP/ Color/ Motion/ Premier Pro/ Photoshop/After Effects etc etc. I could rationalize the cost.
    So my facility is slowly squeezing out Avid 10-15 seats at a time.
    At one time we had 72 seats of Avid, now it's around 44. By this time next year it will be half.

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 23 2008 11:58 PM In reply to

• Kirk Ryad
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 290

Yeah. I definitely feel your pain. At least you have a more admirable problem... you are trying to view HD! I'm only trying to view lowly standard def. using 14:1 omf

The avid hardware thing may be the death of this company. People just want to use Kona or decklink or anything! They just want to plug and play any old hardware like Final Cut does. I love Avid and the 3.0 software really seems to have addressed all the requests for new tools. But in order to make a living, I need to have an easily upgradable system. Let's hope they figure it all out... and soon.

kirk

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 12:05 AM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Kirk Ryad:

If the Mojo SDI and DNA problems are not fixed by July 15th (the update deadline for purchases made after March 17th) will that July 15th deadline be extended so DNA users aren't left in the dust?

Thanks,

Kirk

Can't you download the upgrade, sit on it until the patch is released, then install it and the patch?

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 12:16 AM In reply to

Also, truly annoying, Avid blaming Apple for their firewire problems! Why aren't other companies with firewire based video devices having problems? The Aja IO works with firewire,  Motu's v4 and v3 work via firewire.
    Avid does firewire the wrong way. That's why it doesn't even work with standard firewire decks correctly. Their hardware tries to hog the bus. I bet this won't be a quick fix because it was badly implemented from the outset. When and if there is a fix it will probably result in poorer DNA performance.

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 24 2008 1:24 AM In reply to

• Kirk Ryad
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 290

That seems like a good idea, but I was afraid it might not be a patch, but rather a whole install. I was also afraid they wouldn't let me download a second time once the problem is fixed.

Kirk

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 1:28 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

You have no idea what you are talking about. The data packets Avid sends are completely different from other NLEs. Just one reason the system is so much more capable. the MUCH higher demands revealed a flaw in Apple's bus architecture acknowledged by Cupertino. It will be fixed sooner rather than later.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 2:03 AM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Kirk Ryad:
    That seems like a good idea, but I was afraid it might not be a patch, but rather a whole install. I was also afraid they wouldn't let me download a second time once the problem is fixed.

Just to be safe, wait a little and see what Marianna comes up with. She's always on the ball with this sort of thing, and I'm sure she'll have an answer for you in plenty of time.

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 5:35 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,790

I just finished a couple of solid days cutting a :30 sec spot on 3.0 running on my 17" MBP 2.33, using an analog Mojo with barely a hiccup.

I had only two error prompts - one was an underrun message and the other a flamethrower.  Neither required even a software re-boot.  I digitized over FW 400 using a DSR-11.  All good so far.

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 24 2008 7:36 AM In reply to

BLKDOG:
    revealed a flaw in Avid's bus architecture acknowledged by Apple
    Apple's bus architecture?

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 2:00 PM In reply to

• Kirk Ryad
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 290

Hi OZE,

But it seems like you are on a G5 with OS 10.4, right? We're talking about MC. 3.0 not running the Mojo on Leopard (specifically, a Mac Pro Intel 8-core)

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 2:21 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

AndrewAction:

BLKDOG:
    revealed a flaw in Avid's bus architecture acknowledged by Apple
    Apple's bus architecture

Ooopes...never post while you are mixing a one hour show.

I corrected the typo.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

Page 4 of 7 (102 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller