Latest post Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:44 PM by mjolnarn. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 3 2008 9:25 PM

• carlguile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 23 2007
    • Posts 21
    • Points 325

Importing .TOD files?

Hello

Having just bought an jvc everio hd7, I find myself unable to import this ridiculous file ext .tod, which JVC seems to have created for no reason at all.  From what I've read its basically fancy wrapping over an mpg2 file.  I've been using MPGStream clip as suggested by info I've found on the liquid forum but this doesnt seem to help in Media Composer 2.6. Can anyone suggest a workflow which will result in no loss in quality?

Thanks in advance

• Tue, Jun 3 2008 9:31 PM In reply to

Re: Importing .TOD files?

I believe that camera may be capturing HDV long GOP "type" media.  You might try just manually changing the file type to ".m2t" and importing it into an HDV project.

New Test System: AMD FX-8120 (OC 4.09 GHz), Asus Sabertooth 990X, 8GB RAM, nVidia FX 3800, OnBoard RAID1 OS, 3Ware 9650 RAID5 Media [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 4 2008 12:07 AM In reply to

• carlguile
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 325

Hey thanks for the advice

I tried what you suggested and got the message 'thid type of mpeg is not supported'

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

• Wed, Jun 4 2008 4:19 AM In reply to

Can you shoot a 5 sec clip and post it to an FTP site?  I'd like to try figuring out how to make this work.  I've actually thougth about getting one of these cameras.

New Test System: AMD FX-8120 (OC 4.09 GHz), Asus Sabertooth 990X, 8GB RAM, nVidia FX 3800, OnBoard RAID1 OS, 3Ware 9650 RAID5 Media [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 4 2008 1:42 PM In reply to

• carlguile
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 325

Great stuff, here you go:

http://www.divshare.com/download/4660213-233
    Aside from a dodgy OIS and this stupid file format the camera is great.  I tried following this guide but it still has no results.  I hope you get on better than me! Thanks again for your help

Getting full-quality video from the HD7 is simple and free - and NO need for any OEM software or other expensive software - If you have your own favourite editing software, just make sure it can handle full HD 1920 x 1080i mpeg2 (or whatever your preferred resolution is).
    I have a three-stage workflow, but only two of the stages are really essential -
    Stage 1 - download all movie data (files & folders in 'SD_VIDEO') from HD7 via USB
    Stage 2 (Optional) - Rename files - I find e.g. 'MOV03A' in folder 'PRG007' not very helpful (also the 'hex' suffix (e.g. 03A) tends to confuse some sorting processes). Therefore I bulk rename using PFRANK (from http://www3.telus.net/pfrank/) this is all amatter of choice, but as an example I include Project name, shooting date & time (actually file date/time), and the original 'hex suffix' (just to allow any back-track) in the new name.
    Stage 3 - De-mux TOD file - the TOD file is an MPEG video file wrapped up in Transport Stream (TS) packet data. To remove the TS packet data I use MPEGStreamClip (from http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG_StreamClip) & QuickTime Alternative (needed by MPEGStreamClip) (from http://www.filehippo.com/download_quicktime_alternative/?2615).
    Startup MPEGStreamClip and load the TOD files via List/BatchList and then select the 'Convert to MPEG with MP2 Audio' option, select the destination, and hey presto! - full-quality mpeg2 file(s).
    Since all that is happening is basic data transfer, there is no real CPU overhead and the speed of the process is limited only by the performance of your hard disk(s). I use 2 x SATA2 drives, one to contain the download from the HD7, and the other to receive the MPEGStreamClip output - and a very quick process as a result.

• Wed, Jun 4 2008 7:46 PM In reply to

• carlguile
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 325

not sure my post with the link to the .tod file is going through, so have sent you it via email.  Would be great to hear how you get on.  Cheers

• Wed, Jun 4 2008 8:33 PM In reply to

Downloading now...I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

• Fri, Aug 15 2008 11:06 PM In reply to

• brians0105
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 15 2008
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

If you haven't already found a solution to importing .TOD files from the JVC HD7, here is my workflow.

Use MPEG StreamClip to open a .TOD file from your camera.

Use the Export feature.  Select QuickTime Movie as the format.  For the output settings, select the DNxHD 145 mbit option.

In Media Composer, create a new 1080i DNxHD 145 project.  You should then be able to import your converted files.

Let me know if this does or doesn't help.  I'm not actually at my editing computer to give exact step-by-step instructions right now.

• Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:33 PM In reply to

Hola, te recomiendo el total video converter HD. O para editar en la version 5 de Media composer, cambia el nombre "rename" de *.TOD por  *.m2ts y podras importarlos como nativos.

Saludos

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:44 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

You woke up an old thread, search is your friend, I have written a small tutorial linked and described in this newly created thread

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/84370.aspx

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller