Latest post Tue, Jun 10 2008 7:41 PM by nicov. 74 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 2 2008 6:15 PM

The month of June...

The month of June is now upon us.  Is there any news out there in Avid-land on when we should be seeing more information about the new products?

I'm not asking for speculation...just news.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz 3 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (2x1GB, 2x512MB;) XFX GeForce 8800GT 512MB 250 GB Seagate HD (System) 3x500 GB Western Digital... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 2 2008 6:26 PM In reply to

Re: The month of June...

Come on up to DC this Wednesday for the Avid Demo and see all the new products for yourself.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 6:30 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

No, there is no information and, there isn't likely to be any until the actual release.

I really hope that Avid can get this done  this month. There's a lot of pressure to get the release out but, it's just as likely that the release could slip into July so, I wouldn't go gettin all anxious as June plods on.

It will be out when its out. They are really doing a lot of work to make sure that this is as right as possible.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 7:49 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

Just one reflection. If it slips to july, I think we have to wait until mid- or end of August for the release, if there are more news than we already know.

Why? It is summer and if You release in july/august, most people have hollyday, and is more interesting in sun, bear and olympics than a new NLE. No media coverage, no internet discussions, no hype, no sales.

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 2 2008 7:57 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Wow berga that is about the most speculation I have seen from you and not, at all, the way Avid works.

Trust me when I say folks there are giving up a lot of personal time to get this release out.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 8:43 PM In reply to

berga:
    It is summer
    No it is mid winter, lots of interest in Avid, lost interest in the Olympics as they keep causing delays in our new camera delivery, the mulled wine's better than the beer. (note to self ...think more globally)

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 8:53 PM In reply to

Still wonderting why Avid unlike other companies (most notably, Adobe and Microsoft) do not release beta or release candidate versions. I'm sure such versions are good because they provide free global feedback and they will make EX1 and JVC HDV cameras pretty happy.

This does not fall to the category of speculation since the reason is quite obvious. Avid might be listening but still not adapting fast enough, still employ the're upity we-are-pros-and-the-rest-suck approach

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 8:59 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Trust me, I use those versions and the reasons are abundantly clear.

The Beta process is very methodical and well managed. Nothing like what you intimate. This is not an NLE for the masses approach. It is very professionally managed and, most of the builds up  to the Gold release are not for the feint of heart. Avid relies on known quantities for their testing  and it serves the process very well.

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 9:19 PM In reply to

So, basically, you say the beta releases are bad beyond words. I don't think it serves the process well. Looking at the change log of Avid's point releases you see that a lot of the problems are NOT bugs, but rather missing or incomplete features, lack of serious testing for certain PAL formats, etc. This I did not invent, just look at the release notes.

I know Microsoft has more money and dishonorable reputation but their SQL server which is a pro product has been solid since version 6.5, and is a bit  like Avid in terms of interoperability and stability, yet betas are regular as clock

BLKDOG:

Trust me, I use those versions and the reasons are abundantly clear.

The Beta process is very methodical and well managed. Nothing like what you intimate. This is not an NLE for the masses approach. It is very professionally managed and, most of the builds up  to the Gold release are not for the feint of heart. Avid relies on known quantities for their testing  and it serves the process very well.

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 10:58 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Nope, never said  that. What I did say is that  Avid's beta process is a very well run program because of it's organization. Part of that organization relies on a set group of testing facilities and not a "Gonzo" approach to unfinished code.

Problems do crop up in Beta and tracking them down takes a team, not a mob.

I work with a lot of beta programs and Avid's, by far, is the best run team out there.

• Tue, Jun 3 2008 12:13 AM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Are they taking any pre-orders on Symphony Nitris DX? I've seen it and I know I'm buying it. I'd just like to do whatever is possible to get it as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Tue, Jun 3 2008 1:23 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

Have to agree with Todd.  Avid's beta programs that I am inolved with, both on the DS side and MC side, are very well run.  This time around, they are taking GREAT pains to make sure the next release is as problem free as possible.  Patience, folks.  Its better in the long run if we just wait a bit more.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Tue, Jun 3 2008 1:25 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

Brickwad:

Are they taking any pre-orders on Symphony Nitris DX? I've seen it and I know I'm buying it. I'd just like to do whatever is possible to get it as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

Brick -

Wait for the DS release before you buy!  ;-)

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Tue, Jun 3 2008 2:13 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Well I'm sure that resellers will be happy to take a pre-order Brick'. Have you contacted one?

• Tue, Jun 3 2008 4:42 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

switthaus:

Wait for the DS release before you buy!  ;-)

Are you able to expand on that? Something in the pipeline I should know about?

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

Page 1 of 5 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller