Latest post Sat, May 17 2008 5:53 AM by Ryou_Concord. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 15 2008 2:24 AM

Dongle doesn't read, please help!

Hey, I've just found my box of Avid Xpress Pro stuff in my basement.  I bought it a few years ago, but I never actually installed it because I was always using my school's editing tools.  Well, I figured I should probably put it on my computer now, and so I've opened my box, finally. 

I installed Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.1.5, and inserted my dongle into the computer and everything checked out.  I decided that using Avid Xpress Pro DV 4.6 would be a better idea, because I only use/capture with DV cameras.  So, I uninstalled HD, and installed regular DV.  Unfortunately, the dongle doesn't read for it.  I've tried running the DongleUpdater and dumper for it, but both say that my dongle doesn't exist.  Windows found my dongle immediately, but for some reason Avid doesn't read it.

I checked help sources over the internet, including Avid's help base.  I attempted to update my drivers manually, and had gone to the manufacturer's website http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp.  After trying these drivers to no avail (And restarting in between installations of Avid, of course) nothing works.  So I also tried to see if it was the driver verison.  I had hopped over to another site (I've forgotten the link, now) and downloaded the driver of another version, but that didn't work.  Restarted, nothing works.  So, I had poked around in Google to see if anyone else had this problem, which led me back to this forum to a person who had a similar problem to mine.

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/21252/118457.aspx

I poked through this section to see if there were any remedies I could apply.  Nothing appears to be working.  I've uninstalled Avid Xpress Pro DV 4.6, restarted, installed, restarted, failed to see dongle, uninstalled, restarted...you get the idea.  About the third time reinstalling and trying different drivers, I'm at wits end.  I'm on a tight schedule, and I'm afraid I won't make it in time to finish up my next project!  Any help would be appreciated.

XP sp2, 1gb RAM, 2core2.8GHz, GeForce7900GS [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 15 2008 7:59 AM In reply to

Re: Dongle doesn't read, please help!

Hi,

Since you've gone through all the dongle troubleshooting stuff, your next step is to email warranty@avid.com and see if they can help you get your dongle issues worked out.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, May 15 2008 10:16 AM In reply to

Surprised you answered at 11, but I'm glad I'm up early. Thanks, Carl--I just hope the dongle issue's resolved quickly.  I hope my warranty still covers it.

• Thu, May 15 2008 10:45 AM In reply to

Hiya,

I'm in London, man, so your 11 is my 8am.  Smile

Ryou_Concord:
    I hope my warranty still covers it.

The email address says "warranty" but that's just semantics.  They'll help you get your dongle issues worked out no matter how long ago you bought the software.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, May 15 2008 8:48 PM In reply to

Really?  That's excellent news!  I've had so much trouble with expired warranties in the past--I was worried Avid might work the same.  This relieves a LOT of worry.  Thanks for the info, Carl.  Big Smile

• Sat, May 17 2008 5:53 AM In reply to

Avid works now, I ended up having to call the customer service.  I guess my dongle wasn't supported by the drivers that came in my Avid Xpress Pro box.  Had to dig through that CPR directory thing.  But it works now.  Only problem next is that it won't recognize my sound card.  But, I'm sure that'll be worked out soon too.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller