Latest post Fri, May 16 2008 1:40 PM by chumpster. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 11 2008 4:56 PM

• chumpster
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 69
    • Points 805

Right-Hand Monitor Slow To Update

Hello there Friends,

I recently bought a V12 MC running on a Compaq PC.  It's great, but the right-hand monitor is really slow to update.  The kinda thing I'm talking about here is if I have several tracks selected in the timeline, and I mark an in and out, it takes a couple of seconds to actually 'paint' the highlighted region.

Now, if I move the timeline window to my Bin monitor on the left, it updates exactly as it should.

If I look in the Display control panel (which I've no doubt is where the problem lies), I see that the left-hand monitor is set to '1', and the right-hand monitor is set to '2'.  They're both running at 1600x1200, 32-bit True Color.

Monitor '1' is using 'Plug and Play Matrox Millenium G450 Dualhead, and '2' is using 'Default monitor Number 9 Visual Technology.'

So, can anyone see anything glaringly obvious that's wrong with my setup?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Pitbladdo

• Sun, May 11 2008 6:38 PM In reply to

Re: Right-Hand Monitor Slow To Update

Try lower the resolution and refresh rate.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 13 2008 9:53 PM In reply to

• chumpster
    • Not Ranked
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 69
    • Points 805

Hmm, I gave this a try and the Avid is now refusing to play any clip or sequence
    , regardless of the screen resolution or refresh rate.

I can drag my timeline along a sequence, and see the image in the window and on the client monitor, but as soon as I hit play, I get a VDM Fatal Error 17 VDM Timed Out.

This has now become something more than an inconvenience.  My Avid no longer works.

Can anyone offer any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

• Tue, May 13 2008 10:10 PM In reply to

• chumpster
    • Not Ranked
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 69
    • Points 805

Okay, I think I know what might've caused it, having trawled through the Knowledge Base...

Thanks.

CP

• Wed, May 14 2008 2:14 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

....and what was your solution ?

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Fri, May 16 2008 1:40 PM In reply to

• chumpster
    • Not Ranked
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 69
    • Points 805

It was stupidity on my part, hence my reluctance to mention what I'd done.

I'd tried updating the Number Nine Video Technology driver.  Windows replaces it with an incompatible driver, the giveaway being in the driver name.  If it's the wrong driver, you'll see it represented as 'Number Nine Video Technologies' (plural, rather than singular).

I should mention that this still hasn't solved my problem of a slow-updating monitor, but it's made me think twice about meddling with things when they actually work, albeit rather sluggishly.  I have tried every permutation of refresh rates and resolution... Even when I was down at 800x600 it was just as slow.

CP

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller