Latest post Sun, May 4 2008 1:15 AM by jwrl. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 22 2008 9:32 PM

• bsanch3500
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 22 2008
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

P2 Clips going offline

I've been getting P2 footage for a few weeks now and successfully loading them into avid.  The last batch of media came in yesterday and I loaded all clips and everything was fine.  I even created a sequence and outputted them to dvd for transcription and nothing was offline.

My editor came to me this afternoon and said some clips were offline.  In some cases only parts of the clips were offline.

I tried re-importing one of the cards that had a partially offline clip.  The same clip was partially offline again in a different place

It's weird because all of the clips were there at first...a day later media is missing. 

What I'm going to try to do tonight is delete all of the p2 media on avid - start a new project and try re-importing all of the media again. 

Anyone run into something similar w/ p2?

*Here is the work flow:  On set the cards are transfered to a mac formatted drive using a pcmi slot in a powerbook g4.  Then I get the drive and transfer the files to a windows formatted drive and then import from that into avid.  it's been working fine for weeks and now i run into problems. 

Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Tue, Apr 22 2008 11:19 PM In reply to

Re: P2 Clips going offline

Are you just using File > Import P2 > Clips to Bin?  Are you also Importing Media?

If just the former, you are never importing clips, you just make reference clips that point to media.  While technically you can edit like this, if the file structure is broken (say, your P2 media comes up as a different drive letter the next day) your clips will appear offline.

The best workflow is to use the Clips to Bin function to browse your media, choose which ones you want, then Import Media immediately following your selection.  Now you have copies on your media drives of all of your P2 footage.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Sat, May 3 2008 3:12 PM In reply to

I have been having the exact same problem and nothing I am trying solves it. It's driving me crazy. If you have ANY luck please let me know.

Thanks

• Sat, May 3 2008 4:03 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,393
    • Points 97,070

Well Kevin's suggestion should solve it for you.  Alternatively, mount your P2 drive, find the media on it in Avid and consolidate it across to a local drive.

Either way works, but with Kevin's approach you can also assign reel numbers after the import.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 3 2008 4:30 PM In reply to

The problem I'm still having though, is for some reason, when I browse the P2 cards within Avid, it won't see or recognize the clips that I need to reimport. It will load every other clip on the card, but the clips that are offline in my project that I need to reimport won't show up when I do the Import P2-->Load Clips to Bin even though the MXF files are indeed in the P2 card directory. Aghhh, any ideas?

David

• Sun, May 4 2008 1:15 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,393
    • Points 97,070

That's not something that I've experienced.  Have you checked that the files are physically there at all?

Try looking at the cards with the Panasonic P2 viewer and see if the media that you're looking for is visible.  It may have been inadvertently deleted.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller