Latest post Tue, Oct 25 2005 11:07 PM by eyesonifis. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 4:59 PM

• eyesonifis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 18 2005
    • Posts 8
    • Points 140

shifting a project from pc to mac

got a slightly dodgy pc running windows 2000 and avid xdv 3.5, and need to shift a semi-complete project from that to new mac G4 laptop running avid xdv 4.6.

both machines have external firewire lacie drives, the one on the mac is formatted for pc and mac, the one on the pc (where the media is currently residing) is formatted for pc only.

so far I have simply copied the project across to the mac using a 1 gig pen drive and it now appears ifine, with bins and timeline all in place.

but now wondering how to get all the media there too. am resigned to redigitising the video media from dv tapes for this project, but I'm still worried about how to handle

a. still images (which were imported into the avid project on the pc)

b. audio tracks, (which were likewise imported from cds or downloads.)

is there a simple way to move this material across without having to export the source files, copy them between machines, reimport to avid and re-edit it into the sequences?

the two computers are connected to the net through the same router and so in theory can be networked, is this the way forward - or?

perhaps I chould turn edited audio tracks into some kind of audio file that maintains edit decisions?

any advice much appreciated - if possible in fairly simple terms, am not a techie, though can probably find one to come and help if this is the only way....

thanks!!
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 5:06 PM In reply to

• xyedit
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 2,119
    • Points 26,995

Re: shifting a project from pc to mac

From my understanding, MACs will read a PC (NTFS) formatted drive but cannot write to it, so you may be able to simply copy the media from the PC to the MAC.

If you have the Source materials, (ie CD tracks, still images) then you could move those and highlight the sequence in the bin and choose "Batch Import", this will bring everything back online, without the hassle of trying to get the media files to copy or be read. 

One question:  How are you running XDV3.5 on Win2K?  I thought that was only compatible with WinXP.

Dell PWS360 P4 2.4GHz 1.5GB RAM 80GB system drive 500GB internal SATA2 media drive >1TB... [view my complete system specs]
    Kenton VanNatten (will edit for money)
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 5:17 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

xye is right. Just plug in the PC's drive on your MAc and copy over the media.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Oct 19 2005 12:32 PM In reply to

• eyesonifis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 140

very many thanks for your input...

first off, i should say I didn't set up the pc, and not being techie, can't say anything about how it was done, sorry!

second, can I confirm what to do before I start:

I make sure that all the project media files are on the pc's external drive, unplug it and plug it into the mac, then copy the omfi files etc across to the mac's own external drive? to be honest am not sure how to do this, only have one large fire wire port on the mac..... should I try to 'daisy chain' the drives?

also, isn't there an issue with moving media files between drives? doing so before, between internal and external hard drive attached to the mac i created errors that weren't there before.. seeking guidance, someone said i should have used 'media mover', is this a case of that?

sorry to be so expectant of precise instructions, I just know that I'll do something wrong if I'm not told how not to, and it would break several hearts if I mess up this project now....

\thanks!
  • Wed, Oct 19 2005 9:01 PM In reply to

• John Hagen
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 18
    • Points 180

Smile [:)] Re: shifting a project from pc to mac

Your workflow is essentially correct.  Daisy-chaining the drives is fine and as long as you copy and don't delete anything till you're sure it's all up and running everything should be fine.  As far as moving things around, do it at machine level (not within the Avid application) and make sure all the media goes into the OMFI MediaFiles directory on the Mac.  It's simply a matter of opening the two drives on the desktop, dragging and dropping the files you need and start editing again!  Easy as...
    MacPro 2x2.66GHz 3GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 20 2005 2:18 PM In reply to

• eyesonifis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 140

thanks a million, will report on progress...
  • Mon, Oct 24 2005 6:05 PM In reply to

• eyesonifis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 140

Sad [:(] Re: shifting a project from pc to mac

eek not sure what is going on here - changing formqat of forums means I have lost this thread - and with the project shift, am not getting the pc's ext drive to appear on the mac, it is connected to the mac's ext drive by firewire - is that not sufficient - does there need to be a loop for a daisy chain? I lack sufficient ports for that.....
    hoping I can find an answer if anyone sends it...!
    thanks... and loooking forward to this place settling down so i don;t keep getting lost. cheers
  • Mon, Oct 24 2005 11:16 PM In reply to

Do you have both drive's hooked up to an external power source? Sounds obvious but tmight be why. If you do go into Disk Utility on the Mac and check to see if the pc drive is visible. Try highlighting it and then mounting it. Although I may be mistaken and you can't see NTFS drives in disk utility.

cdv
  • Tue, Oct 25 2005 12:46 AM In reply to

• eyesonifis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 140

aha
    both drives have independent power
    no sign of the pc's drive in disk utlity however...
    any othner way to locate it?
    cheers
  • Tue, Oct 25 2005 11:07 PM In reply to

• eyesonifis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 140

hello again
    as feared, nothing as simple as it seeems. a lot of sequences now have media, but others don;t, because it seems as if not all the files are willing to be moved. when i try, the machine tells me there's not enougb spoace (there is) and now when I open avid on the mac I get the following error message-
    Exception: STRM_BUF_SMALL, buflen:64
    any advice anyone?
    cheers, appreciate any help to get out of this hole... been going on most of a week now!
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller