Latest post Thu, Jun 12 2008 12:59 PM by Larry Rubin. 251 replies.
Page 14 of 17 (252 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 7 2008 7:39 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer V3.0

Baklap:
    that extra eats performance by the kilo

You have a point, butI don't really agree, because I'm not really comparing things that are too different, IMO.

Here's the thing. Let's take a common 50 minute sequence of three video tracks and 8 audio tracks, both running 14:1p media and 16bit 48K audio. Run it on a Meridien, and you'll get 1999 performance (and I missed instant play back then as well, I might add). Run it on a software only system, and it flies (much faster than on the Meridien). Run it on any current system with hardware attached (Adrenaline, Mojo but even Nitris) and response will slow down. At least, that is how I experience it. I no longer have my Meridien, so I can't compare.

I also haven't done any serious testing with v3 /w DX, so there may be a significant improvement there (but instantly playing, it will not AFAI can tell from the demo I got). Still, I'd like all of those GHz's and cores and all that RAM to improve on overall responsiveness. That's why I made a separate posting about that.

I'll admit that projects tend to get bigger. My current sequence is about 2h10m, 5 V-tracks, 14 A-tracks, several RT resizes/repositions, one constant 2.35 mask, a gazillion of color corrections (both source and program), so I'll accept a bit of a slowdown because of all the processing I am ordering. Still hoping that they'll find a way to handle it with increased speed.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 7 2008 9:13 PM In reply to

Yairorene:

Not in front of my Avid right now to check, but are you saying that with clip names selected from clip info in the timeline fast menu, the clip name does not display in the CC mode?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 9:39 PM In reply to

• yairorene
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 36
    • Points 485

Larry,

In Symphony color correction tool there are some options of adding a color effect, one is by clip name which means that when you color correct a seq you have many similar clip names which came from the same tape and usually from the same time and loaction and usually needs the same color correction. when you add  a color effect to one clip it immediately add the same color effect to all the same clip names all over the seq.

I'm an on line editor and use that a lot.

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 9:42 PM In reply to

OK I'm tracking with you now. I don't believe that capability exists in the current MC and it sure would be nice to have that. Perhaps that will show up in the upcoming 3.0 version of MC.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 9:51 PM In reply to

• yairorene
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 36
    • Points 485

Sure hope so. Sometimes i'm asked to color correct with MC and it will make my work much easier which means get home sooner....

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 9:55 PM In reply to

Me too. For now, I use the obvious workaround of saving the CC template, naming it and reapplying as I go. Tedious.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 10:56 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

There are no Changes to the CC tool in MC 3.0.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 11:23 PM In reply to

I don't believe that capability exists in the current MC and it sure would be nice to have that. Perhaps that will show up in the upcoming 3.0 version of MC.

That would make Universal Mastering a 12K USD feature....! (CC and UM are the only remaining differences between MC and Symph).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 8 2008 1:26 AM In reply to

Will MC 3.0 be available via download if you own MC 2.8.3 come monday and where is the ReadMe?

MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 8 2008 4:35 PM In reply to

Here is the readme for 3.0

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jun 8 2008 5:05 PM In reply to

That is of course pretty sad. A major version and Avid is still lagging behind the competition.

I saw a videoclip showing editors actually clapping for "new" features which the competition had for quite sometime.

Avid, if you are listening, better CC, effects and titling improvements could really nice for most of us who don't just do cut-to-cut.

BLKDOG:

There are no Changes to the CC tool in MC 3.0.

• Sun, Jun 8 2008 5:40 PM In reply to

amitzinman:
    That is of course pretty sad.
    In your 143 posts to date have you ever had anything positive to say about Avid?

• Sun, Jun 8 2008 6:41 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

amitzinman:

That is of course pretty sad. A major version and Avid is still lagging behind the competition.

I saw a videoclip showing editors actually clapping for "new" features which the competition had for quite sometime.

Avid, if you are listening, better CC, effects and titling improvements could really nice for most of us who don't just do cut-to-cut.

Agree with Andrew.

And You are wrong. There are lots of new effects. Avid include Avid FX, also know as Boris Red, and Boris CC. With these software adins, You got secondary CC, more effects and more title effects.

By the way, what is it for titleing work You can not do with Avid XPress/Media Composer You can do with APP or FCP? and which NLE can playback, and output, different HD raster format, in real time?

But we have to wait until tomorrow before we can judge MC 3. But, after everything I have read and watch on demos, this is a major upgrade which make MC the undisputable best NLE in world.

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 8 2008 7:10 PM In reply to

Let me take a few moments to say a few positive things about Avid MC:

1. It's the best and most stable platform for editing DV and HDV2 on the PC. While not really versatile when you need to mix formats, if you stick to the one format it is pretty solid.

2. None of the other NLEs (again, on PC) have the real capabilities for editing large projects. The people who have tried editing feature length projects on other NLEs trully regretted it.

3. It is cross-platform.

4. It has very good tools that are not editing related. Though tricky to learn and often counter-intuituve, anyone who does can do quite sophisticated and suprising things.

5. It is bundled with nice applications. I use Sorenson a lot and DVDit is okay too I guess, though a bit slow sometimes.

6. It's supposed to get much better with version 3.0 and support more formats and allow you to mix and match.

7. It has a broad base and support and useful forums on the Internet.

I do have a few bad things to say as well, but I think I sort of covered them in my previous 143 posts :)

AndrewAction:

amitzinman:
    That is of course pretty sad.
    In your 143 posts to date have you ever had anything positive to say about Avid?

• Sun, Jun 8 2008 7:15 PM In reply to

amitzinman:
    It's supposed to get much better with version 3.0 and support more formats and allow you to mix and match.

amitzinman:

Take a look at the video I posted about 3.0 - the link is on page 13 of this thread.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 14 of 17 (252 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller